Food advice please

Options
Please look at my food diary, sundays-fridays as sat is my cheat day (do not take note of being under cals as I have just upped my calorie target) and please let me know the following....

1. Is there anything I can replace/add to help with fat loss
2. Is there anything I should eat more/less off

Please take into account I'm very active hard working 8hrs a day.

Thanks

Replies

• kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there, a few suggestions that may help:

•poached egg rather than fried
    •maybe some fruit or yogurt instead of choc digestives

:-)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Personally I would reduce my sodium to at 1800, at 2500 and some days you are up to at least 3000 is way too much salt. Look at the bread and tin soup - high sodium food. Any store bought food is a red flag for sodium. Probably more fruit and vegetables and homemade soup.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi there, a few suggestions that may help:

•poached egg rather than fried
    •maybe some fruit or yogurt instead of choc digestives

:-)

Digestives were a one off lol a few things in there are one offs
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Personally I would reduce my sodium to at 1800, at 2500 and some days you are up to at least 3000 is way too much salt. Look at the bread and tin soup - high sodium food. Any store bought food is a red flag for sodium. Probably more fruit and vegetables and homemade soup.

What can I replace bread with? Sodium is an issue for me!
  • wattsy84
    Options
    I'm limited for time for cooking breakfast and I'm in all different places for work so I have to take pre made foods with me (salad/sandwiches etc)

Am I better off with whole milk instead of skimmed?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Man I wish I had 2500 calories to work with LOL.

Just at a glance, I'd switch to cereal with less sugar. I'd enter the eggs as eggs and add whatever you use to fry them with on top... it will be more accurate. Same with spaghetti bolognese, unless you entered all the ingredients yourself, do that instead instead of using the 'homemade' or 'generic' entry... yours could be really far off.

Otherwise it seems fine to me... Ok, too much sodium, but same here. It's hard to stay under some days.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Man I wish I had 2500 calories to work with LOL.

Just at a glance, I'd switch to cereal with less sugar. I'd enter the eggs as eggs and add whatever you use to fry them with on top... it will be more accurate. Same with spaghetti bolognese, unless you entered all the ingredients yourself, do that instead instead of using the 'homemade' or 'generic' entry... yours could be really far off.

Otherwise it seems fine to me... Ok, too much sodium, but same here. It's hard to stay under some days.

Yeh I agree with that, on those 'Generic' days I'm at the in laws so its hard to get accurate measures etc that's Thursdays/Sundays!

Also good idea with the eggs,I fry them in olive oil!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I see that you're using a whey supplement, but 17 grams of extra protein isn't enough when you're still 40 to 100 grams under every day. If you don't want to eat more meat, maybe you could find a supplement that provides more protein grams per serving. They're out there.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    I see that you're using a whey supplement, but 17 grams of extra protein isn't enough when you're still 40 to 100 grams under every day. If you don't want to eat more meat, maybe you could find a supplement that provides more protein grams per serving. They're out there.

By the end of the day I usually hit protein target!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Instead of the fried eggs, maybe do hard boiled? I boil a bunch ahead of time and then just grab one out of the fridge. It's could also free up some time so you can prep some other foods.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Instead of the fried eggs, maybe do hard boiled? I boil a bunch ahead of time and then just grab one out of the fridge. It's could also free up some time so you can prep some other foods.

How long can you keep boiled eggs in fridge? I fry mainly to get the extra fat from the olive oil. Is this not good?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

On days you are short protein (I looked way back, there are several days where you actually don't hit your target) you can swap in almond milk for the skim and be able to double your powder intake. Just a suggestion.

Another thing for the eggs if you like fried is use a muffin pan and bake them. Can't remember where I saw that trick though.
  • Ed98043
    Options

Sooo...you're eating things that you're not logging? Because I didn't see any protein targets being hit unless you're not going by the MFP recommendations.

Edited to say: I went back to the beginning of February and you most commonly come in low by about 60 to 80 grams. Sometimes you're over 100 grams low. Maybe 5 days of being really close to goal or over in those 6 weeks.
  • wattsy84
    Options

Sooo...you're eating things that you're not logging? Because I didn't see any protein targets being hit unless you're not going by the MFP recommendations.

I tweaked my macros so my protein is 160g, on days I've added exercise it increases but I generally don't eat back, ok I may not ALWAYS hit target lol but I get as close as I can before running out of cals. I have a new whey powder that's 23g to use next week that will help........where else can I get protein?
  • Ed98043
    Options
    ........where else can I get protein?

Looking back at my reports, the only time I hit 150 grams of protein in a day (mine is only set to 65 grams, btw) I ate a protein bar: 30 grams, 2 string cheeses: 17 grams, and a 12 oz steak: 100 grams. Yeah, the steak was 620 calories but you've got room in your calories for some slabs o'meat. ;)
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Edited to say: I went back to the beginning of February and you most commonly come in low by about 60 to 80 grams. Sometimes you're over 100 grams low. Maybe 5 days of being really close to goal or over in those 6 weeks.
    [/quote]

Just to say I didn't realise how much protein I required until a few weeks ago, it's a learning process for me, I just want help and advice, not to be grilled on targets I haven't met!