Proximity makes a difference

Options
So we all know that it's a good idea not to have junk in the house. After all, if it's not there, you can't eat it. I have another helpful hint regarding proximity...

I have a friend that is currently working on his doctorate in health and nutrition so this comes from a knowledgable place. Items at eye level will be eaten more often than items placed at a lower level. Seems simple enough but I actually tested it. I still have potato chips in my house and they usually reside on an eye level shelf in the pantry. Once a chip bag is opened it tends to last only 24 hours in my family while the nuts/dried fruit that was one shelf lower would last over a week at least. I simply switched the two shelves without telling anyone. Would you believe that an opened bag of chips lasted over a week while the nuts ran out in about four days? It happened and I'm a believer. I've now moved cut veggies out of the crisper and closer to eye level and now they are getting eaten more too!

I figure anything that helps me and my family eat healthier is worth a little rearranging of the cabinets/refrigerator.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome idea! So gonna try this!
  • DMarie813
    Options
    I going to start rearranging a few things. Great tip. Thank you
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good idea! That like the notion that grocery stores usually put the more expensive items on eye level so you won't notice the others.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good idea! That like the notion that grocery stores usually put the more expensive items on eye level so you won't notice the others.

Yep, same idea, except this one is in our favor. :smile: