Nightshift calorie tracking

Options
I have always used the breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack designations for eating. Sometimes depending on when I enter the information it appears as if I ate too much or too little or seems as if I ate all of a certain item in a specific 24 hour period because of how I enter it. I work 7pm-7am shifts and I am wondering how other night shift workers enter their food. When I am scheduled to work I sometimes eat at 5:30 pm then at midnight and again at 3am. Sometimes I eat "dinner" around 8am if I am hungry.

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know people who have a second or even third dinner slot on their profiles.
    I've also seen "work" slots on others.

On days you don't use them, just leave them blank?

Other people just spread everything into time sections in situations like that. 7-10 pm, 10-1am, etc. Or do a mix of normal meal slots mixed with that.

It just depends on what you think will work best for you, I guess.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I may end up doing a "work' slot or doing time intevals of 6 hours.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have just topsy turvied my day is all. I have lunch first, breakfast second and snacks then dinner. It doesnt really matter what the order is. As long as you are tracking what you eat, the category is irrelevant. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have 2 entries for when I am working. 1 for when I am at work, midnight to 6am and 1 for when I at home 10am - 2pm. I also have 3 additional entries for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner on my days off.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My husband works 6:30 pm to 6:30 am. He calls his meal when he gets up around 3 pm breakfast, eating supper with me is lunch, and the food he eats overnight at work is supper and evening snacks.
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    work 6pm-6am

breakfast at 7:30am (generally after 1hr workout)
    lunch at 4:30pm (before work)
    snack#1 at 7:30pm
    dinner at 9pm
    snack#2 at 1am
    snack#3 at 4am

When I am off I try to flip flop, eat more protein for snacks as my weigh in is on friday and go back to work on saturdays!
    Good Luck, I'm down almost 60lbs and I work night shift, it's an excuse if you do the work u can lose the weight! :)
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    when im on night shift (530am-530pm) i track it in 1 day the way i normally would if i was on day shift. bfast is around 1230pm when i wake up, and my last meal is likely around midnight with a snack or coffee afterwards
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I work nights from 8pm-8am and what i do is this. I designate the meals based on the typical time of day even though my schedule doesn't really comply with the naming scheme. Its a 12am-12am schedule. So my first meal of the day (even if i've already been on night shift for a few hours) will be in the breakfast category. Then i eat again when i get home. Thats lunch. Then i sleep and when i wake up, i go to work and that's dinner.

I usually eat at these times:

2am: breakfast

9am: lunch
    sleep soon after

wake up at 7pm get ready for work and while i'm at work at around 9:30pm, i eat diner.

It really doesn't matter though. I just look at it as a 24 hour period.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I work midnight-8 am and I count what I eat at work as my breakfast and my snacks as just normal snacks.
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work 11p-7a

I take fruits and veggies, Greek yogurt, or fiber one bar to work with me and count that as my snack.

When I get home I drink one cup of fat free milk and a scoop of slimfast mix (meal replacer).

When I wake up I eat lunch, usually around 2-4 pm.

Then I eat dinner, between 4-9 pm then off to work I go.

If I am off work I never eat anything after 9pm because I don't like to go to bed with my belly fill, which is why I drink the slimfast meal replacer then go to bed. It gives me my extra calories and I'm not going to bed starving. That's a little tip I got from being on Herr and it works wonderfully.