How to improve my balance

Options
So I do a lot of different fitness classes (Spinning, zumba, circuits and body combat) and kickboxing and all of these classes I struggle with my balance. Will my balance get better if i work my core more or do I need to do target that specifically? Im also not very flexible, could this have something to do with my poor balance?

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Try yoga. I find just a couple of weeks of yoga vastly improves my flexibility and balance! I should really start that up again, come to think of it...
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My balance is poor also, despite having big feet :wink:

PT introduced me to the Bosu ball, basically a ball on oneside and flat on the other. I do squats standing on the flat side with ball on the ground, and this has helped with my balance issues.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    go to fitnessblender.com, they have some balance exercises
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are exercises on the web, but try standing on one foot. Stand next to something you can grab for support. Start with 10 seconds per foot and increase gradually to a minute. You also could look into balance boards and small balls made for that purpose.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have started body balance (les mills) class and its tough for me! It mixes up pilates yoga and tai chi. I highly recommend trying it (you need to go 3 or 4 times to decide). Otherwise just find which of the disciplines works for you and a class /dvd that you like.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My balance is poor also, despite having big feet :wink:

PT introduced me to the Bosu ball, basically a ball on oneside and flat on the other. I do squats standing on the flat side with ball on the ground, and this has helped with my balance issues.

Ditto! The bosu ball and stability ball rock for core strength and balance.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My Balance, coordination and reflexes have all got much better since I started strength training.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have a neurological condition which hinders balance and basic motor control. I have seen numerous balance improvements since starting with suspension training, a form of strength training.