So exhausting!!

Options
being over 40 is exhausting
Strike 1: I'm 46
Strike 2: I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago ( so no estrogen) this causes fat in the mid section
and makes it harder to loose weight!
Strike 3: I have sooo much to loose. lots of belly fat

All these r factors in my weight loss, metabolism and muscle to fat ratio.
If I do too much cardio without weights i can damage muscle, and lower metabolism, women with these factors usually cary all there weight in their mid section, thats me, all the sit ups in the world wont flatten my stomach if I dont do cardio, but cardio with out weights is futile too, but how much should I do?...just to build enuf muscle to help burn the fat?. heavy weight fewer reps?...light weight lot of reps?. and lots of crunches( for abs) I got the food thing down. Am i destine to be a fat grandma forever?..Im not expecting a Juillian Michaels body, as awesome as that would be, but I would like to be able to play on the beach with my girls this summer!!

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio won't damage your muscles or lower your metabolism. Doing cardio alone to lose weight will lose you muscle mass.

Try some 2 cardio days and 2-3 strength days.

I must say I don't find being over 40 anymore exhausting than any other age I've been.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Tee Hee.....I'm 43 with a 4 year old. I'd be exhausted if I had TIME :) I'd say too....don't over complicate it just do it. Lil of this, lil of that...and less eating. Lifes too short to be miserable.....a little work makes things a WHOLE lot better :) At least that's what I keep telling myself. Hang in there.....enjoy the journey!!
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio won't damage your muscles or lower your metabolism. Doing cardio alone to lose weight will lose you muscle mass.

Try some 2 cardio days and 2-3 strength days.

I must say I don't find being over 40 anymore exhausting than any other age I've been.
    thought thats what i said, sorry not damage just loss, and lower metabolism
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    well no one really answered my question, about the weight, heavy? few reps,..ect. thats ok God!, no wonder so many people leave here.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    n/m
  • berrymuffins89
    berrymuffins89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should work towards heavy weights, light weights won't do much to build muscle. Building muscle will help prevent osteoporosis.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    well no one really answered my question, about the weight, heavy? few reps,..ect. thats ok God!, no wonder so many people leave here.

It doesn't matter! Any strength training will help you maintain muscle *and* bone mass - not sure why that last one gets so little screen time, but it is important as we age!

Personally, I use resistance bands, medium resistance with highish reps of 10-20, depending on the exercise.
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    You should work towards heavy weights, light weights won't do much to build muscle. Building muscle will help prevent osteoporosis.
    Depends what you mean by light and heavy. Usually, heavy lifting really doesn't add muscle mass.
    I have a total gym, just bought one, really? on the osteoporosis thats awesome. so Im gonna try my total gym. i hear they r awesome for muscle building,
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

You're exasperated because people took the time to type you a reply, but one thing you think we didn't cover means you can be rude?

I wish I hadn't bothered.
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    thanks to every one
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

Wow, that was totally uncalled for :noway:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for being over 40 as I'm 35, but I find having young kids can be pretty tiring and I hope in 5 years time they will sleep well and I will be able to go to the toilet/have a shower etc without an audience! So in some ways I think at over 40 I will be less tired than now! It's all relative.

I had weight on my belly as I started losing weight after I had my 2nd baby. I started when she was 7 weeks old, 20 months ago, and i've lost from my belly. I do a combination of strength training and cardio. I do PT sessions, spinning, zumba and aerobics. A lot of the aerobics classes incorporate some strength training.

With weights just lift what you can and build up to bigger weights. Maybe get someone to write you a programme? It might be worth getting a kettlebell and looking on Youtube for some exercises. I'm thinking of doing that.

Good luck!
  • timeforme_2013
    Options

Wow, that was totally uncalled for :noway:
    and your comment was?...what a waste of time, your comment accomplished nothing,
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    I can't speak for being over 40 as I'm 35, but I find having young kids can be pretty tiring and I hope in 5 years time they will sleep well and I will be able to go to the toilet/have a shower etc without an audience! So in some ways I think at over 40 I will be less tired than now! It's all relative.

I had weight on my belly as I started losing weight after I had my 2nd baby. I started when she was 7 weeks old, 20 months ago, and i've lost from my belly. I do a combination of strength training and cardio. I do PT sessions, spinning, zumba and aerobics. A lot of the aerobics classes incorporate some strength training.

With weights just lift what you can and build up to bigger weights. Maybe get someone to write you a programme? It might be worth getting a kettlebell and looking on Youtube for some exercises. I'm thinking of doing that.

Good luck!

TY:smile:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just in a funky mood right now. You've lost 5 lbs. it looks like, but want to lose 90. That can seem overwhelming especially if you have medical issues. But unless you do something you won't get anywhere. Try some walking, try using light weights to begin with, resistance bands were a good suggestion, too. You mention having equipment...have you used it at all? Are you working on eating healthier? For the greatest success, try working on food choices and put some movement into your day. You can do it...and being in your 40's means you have many years ahead, hopefully...and you'll enjoy them so much more if you're healthy. (P.S. I'm 63 and working on increasing my strength, flexibility, and healthy eating. It's never too late.) So, sincerely, I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    Sounds like you're just in a funky mood right now. You've lost 5 lbs. it looks like, but want to lose 90. That can seem overwhelming especially if you have medical issues. But unless you do something you won't get anywhere. Try some walking, try using light weights to begin with, resistance bands were a good suggestion, too. You mention having equipment...have you used it at all? Are you working on eating healthier? For the greatest success, try working on food choices and put some movement into your day. You can do it...and being in your 40's means you have many years ahead, hopefully...and you'll enjoy them so much more if you're healthy. (P.S. I'm 63 and working on increasing my strength, flexibility, and healthy eating. It's never too late.) So, sincerely, I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:

I walk 2-4 miles every day, squats, 25-50 every other day, BMR is 1675- I eat 1600. Im never sitting anymore, No sugar, no crap, no junk food, I've been doing this for a month, and 5 is all I have to show?...thats frustrating.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Actually 5 lbs. in a month is good. Sounds like you are really active so basically, continue! As far as what you're eating, you don't have to do without the things you enjoy as long as they fit in your calories for the day. Just keep the majority of your foods healthy ones...but you don't have to restrict the others completely. I'd have a problem if I couldn't have a "treat" now and then. The walking , you're doing is excellent, along with the squats. As others mentioned, maybe add some 3-5 lb. weights, to begin with, and check for some specific exercises on-line. And relax, frustration can be self-defeating. It will come off in spurts. Success is not steady, but erratic.
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    Actually 5 lbs. in a month is good. Sounds like you are really active so basically, continue! As far as what you're eating, you don't have to do without the things you enjoy as long as they fit in your calories for the day. Just keep the majority of your foods healthy ones...but you don't have to restrict the others completely. I'd have a problem if I couldn't have a "treat" now and then. The walking , you're doing is excellent, along with the squats. As others mentioned, maybe add some 3-5 lb. weights, to begin with, and check for some specific exercises on-line. And relax, frustration can be self-defeating. It will come off in spurts. Success is not steady, but erratic.

TY:smile:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I walk 2-4 miles every day, squats, 25-50 every other day, BMR is 1675- I eat 1600. Im never sitting anymore, No sugar, no crap, no junk food, I've been doing this for a month, and 5 is all I have to show?...thats frustrating.

I lost weight really slowly. It's taken me 20 months to lose 60lbs! But I have lost lots and lots of inches and have toned up a lot, and that's what matters! Make sure to take measurements and not focus so much on what the scale says. Scales are evil :devil:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with a pound a week! If you are this frustrated at this point, what will you do if/ when you have a stall and you don't lose anything for a week or two?

You need to focus on your new, healthy lifestyle and figuring out how you will enjoy it. Are you eating things you will enjoy eating for the rest of your life? Are you engaging in activities you will enjoy for the rest of your life?

Are you taking a 4 mile walk or counting your steps on a pedometer?