Hashimotos gals..

Options
Looking for support from other women with Hashi's that are struggling with regaining their energy back and also with losing the weight that this stupid disease has given us. LOL Wanting to find help with what has worked for you, what has not, and what type of thyroid hormones you are on and if they have helped you. Its a very complicated disease and it seems our doctors really dont know how to help us. Add the other hormones to the mix,,, estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, cortisol.... and if anything is out of wack , it really can make feeling better difficult. I have always been in shape, very healthy,, didnt smoke, drink or eat overdose of bad foods. Thought I was going to sale through old age. LOL I sure didnt see this coming... Sometimes I feel like my body let me down..
Anyway.. its the hand I was given, but i wont give up on trying to feel the best I can!! I hope to hear from some of you and we can help each other!!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I just found an old sketchbook/diary from before I was diagnosed, with page after page of writing about how tired I was, how I couldn't stop crying, how I wished I could just sleep forever. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 30, and my diaries started in my early 20s. Those terrible feelings lifted within two weeks when I got the right medication. You don't have to suffer. I do very well on generic Levothyroxin, but everyone is different. Besides trying different replacement hormones, if thyroid replacement alone doesn't work and you still have symptoms, or feel tired or depressed, don't be afraid to tell your doctor that you aren't feeling like your usual self.
  • alexis49er
    alexis49er Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashi's two years ago and I'm still switching up my meds every few months to find the right combination for getting my energy back. I found that I just have to push through and force myself to do things that will hopefully generate more energy for me. I also take B complex vitamins every day for a quick energy boost. I think it's a constant battle with this disease and finding the energy to feel as "normal" as possible.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I'm skeptical about diets to cure Hashimoto's, but there is a lot out there about going gluten free to treat Hashi's. I had a positive gluten antibody test, and stopped eating anything that isn't gluten free, and I do feel a lot more energetic. I can't be sure it has anything to do with my thyroid. It has made maintaining my weight loss easier, because I don't crave other carbs the way I used to crave bread.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and hypoactive thyroid when I was 17. I use generic levothyroxine and I do just fine.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I always knew I I had hypothyroidism, never really knew what Hashimotos was. Both of my daughters, ages 11 and 13 also have Hypo and are diagnosed with Hashi's. So I went to my doctor and told her and she said well you have Hashi's too and it is genetic. I was like what? No one ever told me I had hashimoto's! lol

I am on generic levothyroxine, 175mcg. Every now and then, my levels get all out of whack for apparently no reason and my dosage goes up.

A few years ago, I was very sick. I went to my dr and said that I felt like I wasn't even living, I felt like I was outside of my body, watching me go through the motions. I felt like a robot. I cried all the time, went to bed by 8pm and I was just generally sick. Had constant sinus infections, sore throats, body aches, cramps, headaches. I just did not feel well.

She adjusted my dosage and then tested me for Celiac Disease. Celiac is also an autoimmune disease like hypothroidism and Hashis and they often go hand in hand. So, I also have Celiac Disease on top of my thyroid issues.

Once I went Gluten Free and was on proper levothyroxine levels, I have been feeeling pretty fabulous. My energy level increased. I am able to do hour long, vigorous workouts without becoming fatigued. I haven't had a sinus infection or a really bad headache (unless I eat gluten)

I think there are so many things that can go wrong with your body that interact with each other, it is so difficult to even everything out. As I get older, it seems more things go wrong, and it sets something else off that was previously fine!
  • Mandykat760
    Mandykat760 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. Cutting gluten, exercising, drinking Shakeology and stay up on my meds helps. I was told I shouldn't have a problem with gluten but Oviously I did.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last month but have been suffering with low energy/fatigue since my daughter was born 4 yrs ago. I attributed the fatigue to "2 small kids" and anemia, which I always had. Most of the time I feel like I'm dragging my body around and I would rather sleep than eat, have sex, or play with my kids. Of course I don't do that, I still work full time and run a house. But, just now I'm drinking strong coffee for a pick me up because my head is literally falling off my neck, I feel so tired and I had 10 hrs of good sleep. I've been started on Synthroid but its only been three weeks and I don't feel the effects yet. I'm also estrogen dominant and have problems with endometriosis and ovarian cysts, one which ruptured 3 weeks ago sending me to surgery. Then there is my low ferritin and Vit D levels, I need to supplement with iron and Vit D at fairly large doses.

Just like you I feel it's totally unfair. I lead a healthy life, don't drink/smoke. I eat healthy and exercise, I even managed to lose 25 lbs last year. I've decided to go gluten-free because research shows there is a strong correlation between autoimmune disease and gluten. I'll get tested for allergies with my next blood draws. I felt more energetic on South Beach Diet I did last year, so I know a lower carb diet with less processed foods is probably my answer.

I'm mostly worried for the future. Having 1 autoimmune disease increases your risk for more later on in life....lupus, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. I'm a medical professional I know and have seen the worst, making this so much harder for me. I've been doing lots of research and I know it will take some time to get optimized, I'm lucky in a way that I can steer my own treatment in the right direction because of my training and my colleagues will probably order or prescribe what I want. That leaves me open to add Cytomel with Synthroid or even try Armour. My treatment will be based on my symptoms rather than TSH levels. I would love to have some friends in same situation.
  • Mandykat760
    Options
    Agusia, you just explained my life before switching me diet! What have you been doing? Have you tried an AIP diet?
  • Mandykat760
    Options
    Agusia, you just explained my life before switching me diet! What have you been doing? Have you tried an AIP diet?
  • lithezebra
    Options

Once I went Gluten Free and was on proper levothyroxine levels, I have been feeeling pretty fabulous. My energy level increased. I am able to do hour long, vigorous workouts without becoming fatigued. I haven't had a sinus infection or a really bad headache (unless I eat gluten)

I've had similar benefits from going gluten free. I felt like I was in a fog all the time, but my TSH was good. Then I gave up gluten for my digestive system, and the fog went away.
  • RistinaWin
    RistinaWin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in my early 20's. I thought I did fine on levothyroxine, my levels seemed fine, until I started seeing a natural doctor and he put me on nature-throid about 5 years ago. Within 2 weeks I felt wonderful. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I felt that way. I think I had the problems so long before being diagnosed that the levothyroxine did help, but nature-throid was the ticket for my body. It's not for everyone, but it's all natural, which I love. You might ask your doctor about that alternative or look it up on the website to see who dispenses it near you. www.nature-throid.com

I moved to California about a year ago and went to the nature-throid website and found a medical doctor that dispenses it nearby. I pay $7 for a 30 day pack - much cheaper than I was paying through the natural doctor ($20), but also cheaper than my co-pay for the synthetic. Good luck! You'll find something that really works. Don't stop until you do!! :flowerforyou:
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. My doctors are messing with my Armour right now and I feel too tired to even write this post. I have been Hypo since I was 18 and had Hashi since my early 30s. Apparently, I don't know my own body and my doctors think "reference range" on a TSH only test is the way to dose my Armour. I was ok at first but now it's so low that I'm exhausted and freezing cold and can't think. But I guess I'm crazy because my TSH is fine. Oh God help me. Seeing a new doctor next Monday. Beyond frustrated because neither of these morons have even read up on Hashimotos or actually know what tests to perform.
    I got really sick last summer and was forced to go gluten/grain and dairy free. It has really helped. My diet is great. I have even given up ALL sugar. No honey, agave..nothing just whole fruit if that. Since they lowered my meds I actually gained weight!! How??? I ate the same diet this summer and 20lbs fell off me. Insane. Thank God my diet has changed or I could see myself falling into a deep depression. It's amazing how much a functioning thyroid can affect mood and perspective. Gotta hang in there until I find someone who knows what they are doing. It will all work out!