A healthy meal literally right before bed?

Options
How bad is it? I often only have time for this, and if I skip it, end up binging in the middle of the night on some easy zombie-state consumption like peanut butter. Thoughts?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all.

This. Eat when you're hungry. I eat the majority of my calories in the evening and it has had 0 impact on my weight loss. Actually I would argue that it has improved it as I tend to sleep better on a full stomach.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Your body does not have a clock, eat a calorie deficit and you will lose weight, that simple. I work a swing shift and eat at many odd hours and I have been pretty successful so far. Best of luck to you.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I like to eat cottage cheese at bed time. I add things like fruit, salsa, or avocado. There are a lot of things that mix really well into cottage cheese.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Let's say I need to eat 2500 calories yet am short by 400. I have also met my micro and macro needs for the most part and just need energy. Thus, I would eat ANYTHING to fill the remaining calories - including gelato, oreos, cake, etc.
  • dennism2013
    Options
    i have two servings of cereal with two cups of milk almost every night before i go to bed. i always add an extra two grams of cereal that i don't count to get my cheat on. that's a healthy meal, right?

if a person did something crazy like eat all of their daily calories at one time, then time of consumption might matter.

active lifestyle, calorie deficit, blah blah blah... you'll lose weight.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant as it pertains to weight control. My typical day end with me eating 2000 plus calories immediately before bed.
  • dennism2013
    Options
    if a person did something crazy like eat all of their daily calories at one time, then time of consumption might matter.

Not necessarily true

okay... what am i supposed to do now? google "not necessarily true" or what?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    i eat in bed and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck.... :drinker:
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Although each person is different, I would be tempted to say that eating anything less than 2 hours before your bed time is not that advisable. HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is secreted much more during sleep (hence the rest advice) and interfering with this means not a smuch use out of it. Additionally, the night time allows you an opportunity to efffectively fast for 8-10 hours with no effort on your part.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because I get really bad heartburn/reflux. I usually just make up for it the next morning if I was under the day before.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    There are a few highly specific scenarios where this does make a difference but in general don't worry about it. It's not going to change enough for you to bother restricting yourself at that time. Just make your calories and macros during that 24 hour period. That's pretty much all there is to it.
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry before bed, I eat. If I have calories left, I eat without a second thought. If I don't have calories left, I eat. HOWEVER, I think about how my day went and ask...did I eat some extra carbs that maybe made me more hungry later in the day or is there another way to plan my day to fit a later evening snack in. You can eat whenever, just be aware of what you are eating and does it fit in your individual plan. Nobody can tell you how you feel. Good luck! :-)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Although each person is different, I would be tempted to say that eating anything less than 2 hours before your bed time is not that advisable. HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is secreted much more during sleep (hence the rest advice) and interfering with this means not a smuch use out of it. Additionally, the night time allows you an opportunity to efffectively fast for 8-10 hours with no effort on your part.

I endorse this. Your highest hGH pulse comes ~2 hours after sleep, and this is severely blunted when eating right before sleep. However, if maximizing your body's natural hGH production is not a priority (and preventing late night hunger/binges is), I would not worry too much about it.