Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Infection? If you're easily grossed out...be warned.

2»

Replies

• kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    I'm a nurse too. PLEASE call your doctor's answering service now or go to Urgent Care.

Why do people come to the internet for medical advice?!?!?! Drives me insane!!!!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Ugh.
    Step one- Call doc.
    Step two- Urgent care as first option, not ER. This is not an emergency.

My husband has several moles removed from his back last year. We had a period where I believed there were getting infected- I was able to express pus out of the wounds. They were healing great and then started oozing.

Ends up he is allergic to the vicryl suture that will dissolve. He was fine with the topical sutures that had to be removed, but his body rejected the internal sutures. It could be something as simple as that.

Disclaimed- Fever, obvious infectious drainage (green, smelly), general horrible run down feeling- then go to the ER. A yellowish/white drainage doesn't equal an infection- it means there is some inflammatory process and there are some old white blood cells there. It could be infected but it might not be.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    GO NOW!!

I'm in a healthcare related field - I worked with someone who started with a minor skin infection, waited too long, lost several limbs before it was all over with because MRSA got in his bloodstream.

**some details changed in honor of HIPAA
  • ekeshe
    ekeshe Posts: 1 Member
    go to hospital immediately!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    1. I thought there'd be pictures :ohwell:
    2. I was going to tell you to high-tail it to the ER
    3. Glad your Doctor is updated with technology
    4. Hope it gets better.
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    4. Hope it gets better.

I was hoping for pics, too....
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I'm glad you touched base with your Dr. Infections are nothing to fool around with.
    It's ALWAYS best to keep an eye on it and if it's not getting better, or getting worse, go to urgent care or your ER.

Several years ago I got some road rash from a motorcycle accident and was putting neosporin on it but it got really irritated and I thought it was getting infected. It turns out that the skin was just very sensitive and the neosporin was just too harsh for that new skin.

Try not to jump to the worst conclusions, but you need to be cautious too. Better safe than sorry - do take care of yourself!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    As a clinical microbiologist, I'm concerned that he changed your antibiotic with out getting a culture so the lab can do a culture and sensitivity to identify the antibiotic that will correctly clear the infection. If you're taking the wrong antibiotic for the bacteria, it won't clear the infection and can potentially create a resistant bug for you (this is why things like MRSA happen and things like necrotizing fasciitis show up in surgical wounds)
    Hopefully he set up a follow up appointment so he can check it and possibly take a sample

I have a follow-up appointment to have the stitches removed so he said he'd take a look then. He said if it doesn't improve to come in and he'll take a look. he said it actually looks like it is healing very well...the pus is significantly improved and I haven't started the new antibiotic yet...it just looks very bruised.
  • MSeel1984
    I'm a nurse.
    That's bad if you're keeping it clean, on an antibiotic and it's still quite infected.
    You need to be seen today (now, this morning) so you don't develop sepsis, MRSA, beta-hemolytic strep etc.
    Yes, you may need IV antibiotics and/or have an I&D- incision & drainage.
    Are you running a fever?

I haven't checked my temperature.

Yesterday I had a horrific headache-but it went away and I feel better today. It's sore for sure an swollen. It's not a TON of pus that's coming out...and it seems to come out when I use the hydrogen peroxide. What worries me most is the bruise next to it that wasn't there before...and it has pus coming out of it too...

My skin also seems extremely red where the adhesive from the tape/bandages is.

Are you sure it was "pus" coming out or just the hydrogen peroxide oxidizing or "bubbling" when it came in contact with the wound?
    Are you allergic to tape?
    What oral antibiotic were you on and what did he switch you to?
    I agree that the drainage needs to be cultured if indeed it is purulent drainage.

It's not the hydrogen peroxide. It's white discharge from three specific places. It's not copious amounts and it's not nearly as bad today...just a couple dots. No foul odor or anything.

Was on keflex-I forgot the name of what he switched me to. He said it's one that covers a broad spectrum including staph just in case. He's also giving me a prescription topical antibiotic ointment.
  • MSeel1984
    I'm a nurse too. PLEASE call your doctor's answering service now or go to Urgent Care.

Why do people come to the internet for medical advice?!?!?! Drives me insane!!!!

Well first off, I did call my doctor. I had my facility's wound nurse at work (I too work in healthcare) take a look...AND my doctor has seen the wound.

You know what they say about *kitten* U ming...please read previous posts.
  • MSeel1984
    4. Hope it gets better.

LoL do you WANT to see the picture?

I have it but don't know how to add a picture to my post on the forums. If you tell me how I can post it so that maybe people won't be freaking out so much.
  • MSeel1984
    I'm glad you touched base with your Dr. Infections are nothing to fool around with.
    It's ALWAYS best to keep an eye on it and if it's not getting better, or getting worse, go to urgent care or your ER.

Several years ago I got some road rash from a motorcycle accident and was putting neosporin on it but it got really irritated and I thought it was getting infected. It turns out that the skin was just very sensitive and the neosporin was just too harsh for that new skin.

Try not to jump to the worst conclusions, but you need to be cautious too. Better safe than sorry - do take care of yourself!

Well that's the reason my doc put me on an antibiotic...I'm type I diabetic. He wanted to be extra careful.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    get it looked at NOW waiting 24 hours is more than enough time for the infection to enter blood stream

^^^ I agree!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member

Well that's the reason my doc put me on an antibiotic...I'm type I diabetic. He wanted to be extra careful.

Glad you're being careful!