fitbit vs heart rate monitor

Options
crysy1
crysy1 Posts: 35 Member
which do you prefer...or both.....on more so for workouts and fitbit just for tracking distance steps climbed etc.
currently I have the fit bit, like it but not sure its accurate.

if prefer the hrm.....inexpensive recommendation?

Replies

• Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. Was shocked at my actual calories burned vs. the estimates on the machines and the apps I use. Much easier to keep track of calories.

That said, I want to get a fitbit soon, because I want to see what I'm burning at rest, and how active I am when I'm not 'working out'. And the fitbit plus has a sleep cycle thingy on it too, I think.

So really, I don't think they 'compare' easily. They are for two separate things.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit because I can get a realistic estimate of how many calories I'm burning in a non-workout capacity. I would feel ridiculous logging 20 min of walking or so on a work day because that's how much I estimated I would spend up and about. Especially when it would tell me I burned some ridiculous amount when I felt I haven't. That said, I bought a HRM but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use it. I like my fitbit also because it gives me a fairly modest estimate of calories burned, and I'd always rather overlog food and underlog exercise than the opposite!
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bodymedia Fit
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. Was shocked at my actual calories burned vs. the estimates on the machines and the apps I use. Much easier to keep track of calories.

That said, I want to get a fitbit soon, because I want to see what I'm burning at rest, and how active I am when I'm not 'working out'. And the fitbit plus has a sleep cycle thingy on it too, I think.

So really, I don't think they 'compare' easily. They are for two separate things.

I'm not sure what you mean by burning at rest. The FitBit will not give you that info. It basically converts your activity level (based on steps/ rate) into calories burned using weight... if you are not active or resting, there is no data.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Neither. I do have a Polar HRM. I used it about 20 times. It's not a necessary purchase. But I don't think you need either one of them. The online calorie calculators use the same algorithms.

Save your money, unless you are exercising for 3-6 hours a day. Just pick a number and stick to it...if you have to use an average of several online calculators. Done and done.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have both; the Fitbit One, which I've had for two months, and a Polar FT7, which I have adored for the almost two years I've had it. Both of them are well worth the money.

I wear the Fitbit all the time, except when showering. Mine has a sleep tracker on it, but after a couple weeks I stopped using that feature. In fact, I wish I had saved the extra money and just got a Fitbit Zip, it's $30 cheaper and does everything the One does, other than tracking sleep and flights of stairs (the stair feature is wildly inaccurate, at least mine is, and it doesn't factor into calories burned or anything, so it's just for your own information).

I really like the Fitbit because it lets me know how many calories I am burning on any given day based on how active I am. I work a pretty active job, so on those days it gives me extra calories to eat, and on days when I am lazy and sit around all day, it takes calories away! This is in contrast to an HRM, which you cannot wear all day and expect to see a realistic estimation of your calories burned. Heart-rate monitors are meant to be used during an exercise session, when you will be elevating your heart-rate for a period of time.

I wear my Fitbit all the time, it syncs automatically with MFP and my iPhone, which is nice. I use my HRM when I work out, and I enter that into MFP and it syncs up with the Fitbit. You can also enter your food on the Fitbit website, but I prefer MFP for that.

Bottom line, both of them are very useful tools, I highly recommend. If you absolutely have to choose, I would go with the HRM.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had a heart rate monitor for about a month and I really, really loved it - still have it, but then I bought the bodymedia fit (120 on costco with a year membership) and I wouldn't go back. I love this thing.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by burning at rest. The FitBit will not give you that info. It basically converts your activity level (based on steps/ rate) into calories burned using weight... if you are not active or resting, there is no data.

The Fitbit does give you data when you are at rest. As you know, your body is constantly burning calories just by operating. So if you are sitting around all day, the Fitbit knows you are at rest and calculates your calories accordingly. It resets every night at midnight, and in the morning it will tell you that you've already burned several hundred calories. This is part of the reason why it's more accurate than a general estimation of how many calories you burn every day.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 with a watch that I use for indoor exercise... treadmill, elliptical, jazzercise, etc. I have a Zephyr HRM that syncs with Endomondo on my phone so I can track my heart rate and get mileage & speed from the GPS.
    I also have a Fitbit Ultra that I've been wearing for nearly a year now and I love it.
    I absolutely hated the Bodybugg/Bodyfit and returned it after 3 weeks of using it...... I basically got the same info from my Fitbit and didn't have to wear that strap on my arm for everyone to see. My Fitbit is discreetly located between the 'girls' and no one knows it's there. :wink:
    I like that the fitbit tracks my regular daily activity and I use the HRM's for my 'workouts'. It's important because my HRM actually calculates less calories than MFP would usually give based on the time. I always have to adjust the calories down on MFP. Doesn't make me happy that the HRM shows less calories burned .... but at least I'm not over estimating the calories and eating too much.
  • Windi38
    Options

The Fitbit does give you data when you are at rest. As you know, your body is constantly burning calories just by operating. So if you are sitting around all day, the Fitbit knows you are at rest and calculates your calories accordingly. It resets every night at midnight, and in the morning it will tell you that you've already burned several hundred calories. This is part of the reason why it's more accurate than a general estimation of how many calories you burn every day.

^^^^this! :) ^^^^
  • Windi38
    Options

I'm pretty sure that not every uses the same 'amount' of calories per day, because we are not the same in size, height, weight, activity level, work type, etc, etc. We all obviously don't need "2000 calories a day" like the nutrition levels say. But is 1200 too low? what's the optimum amount based on what *I* do.

I want to get the fitbit so that I can see what I'm doing 'all day', as opposed to what I burn when I work out. I need to know if my calorie intake is too high for the amount of calories I typically burn during a day.

Now, I realize that it's impossible to be super accurate, but it's better information than none at all, and can hopefully show me what kind of calorie range i need to be in to lose weight.....
  • donald0
    donald0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use an FT60 to manage my workouts and love the way it helps me manage my workouts.

I used to use a fitbit, but had a hard time getting accurate readings. It kept thinking my bus rides to work were walking, and left me with very exaggerated step counts, floors climbed and calories burned. I actually gained some weight using it, by thinking I was burning more calories that I actually was. There is no way to "pause" it, so for me it just didn't work out..
  • crysy1
    crysy1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyones input! I have my fit bit and I like but have never figured out exactly how to get it to work right with mfp....I know there a trick to it.. just havnt figured it out quite yet. I like the sleep monitor part. it doesn't tell me how many calories ive burned but it does tell if I got more sleep. but given I have an 8 week old and an 18 month old neither of whom sleep through the night....well nuff said. lol.

so fairly happy with the fitbit. also like knowing how active I am during the week.
    just wondered about the the hrm as I have never used one.

thank you all!:)