This may be a silly question but.....

Options
What does an avocado taste like??

I have never had one, and would like to buy one but would prefer some opinions on it :)
I hear it is very versatile, you can have it with anyone which makes me wonder what it must actually taste like.

Also, I have no idea on what to do with one so any info or recipes you have would be great! Thank you!

Can I have some imput please :):)

Replies

• 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    They are, like, a buck. Buy one.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    heaven wrapped around a seed! In salad, on a sandwich, with salsa,,,oh my now I want some guac!
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The only way I can describe the taste of an avocado is creamy. But even that is not quite right. There's nothing I can think of that tastes quite like an avocado. I love them on salads and sandwiches, but my favorite way to eat it is on a burrito in the form of guacamole.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Avocado tastes like...AVOCADO!!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Smooth and herbacious. But it's like trying to describe the color "blue". You really just need to try one.
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    they taste green
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Quick recipe for guacamole: mash up an avocado. Squeeze in some fresh lemon or lime juice, stir in a spoonful or two of your favorite salsa and some minced garlic, then add cumin and salt to taste.

You can get more elaborate (like, chop up your own onion, hot peppers, and tomatoes instead of using salsa, add fresh cilantro, etc.) but this is easy and will get you started.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Creamy is what I can say, I'm still not sure if I like them. Just started eating a half a one day a couple of days ago. It's the texture I'm not sure if I like or not. All you can do is try one, and try a bite several different ways. don't let one bite sway your decision
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    creamy and mild, very pleasant in the mouth if you like creamy (think baby food puree)
    There is nothing quite like it, and I think you love or hate. At least that is what I find.
  • Lunete
    Lunete Posts: 3
    Options
    It's creamy with a slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with other vegetables, nuts, and lean meats. I really enjoy them even if they are a little high on calories (but they're fantastic for vitamins and good fats). If you don't smoosh it up, it has a pretty firm but soft texture. When you begin to break it up with a fork or spoon, it takes on a creamy texture (think half-whipped whipped cream or soft peaked whipped eggs).

If you're going to buy one, look for one that is slightly soft when you squeeze it and the hole left by the stem nub after is removed should be a little green.

To open it, poke a knife into the side until you hit the large seed and run the blade complete around. Twist the two halves apart (like an Oreo) and hit the seed with your knife to get the knife embedded into the seed (do NOT do this when you're holding the half with the seed in your hand). Twist the knife to pop the seed out. From there, use a knife to scoop the avocado meat out and enjoy!
  • ahzoe
    ahzoe Posts: 2
    Options
    As others have said, it's creamy when ripe and bland. Best to eat when ripe. Leave on kitchen counter Beside banana and it will ripen quickly.
    I mash avocados and freeze in ziplock bags.
    I spread on toast w salt and pepper, use instead of mayo for egg salad sandwiches, make guacamole, or add to salads.
    I love avocados but remember that while they contain good fat, you don't want to overeat. They're still high in fat.