Arch Pain. Plantar Fasciitis. What To Do?

Options
Over the last couple of weeks I have developed pain in my right foot. It doesn't hurt when I run and after walking for a bit it disappears. Most of the pain comes when I am at rest. I was poking at it before and found that the source of the pain is just near my heel, at the base of the arch and up the side of my foot. I googled it (of course) and think that it may be plantar fasciitis (I'm too poor to go to the doctor).
I think I may have gotten it because a little while ago my cat threw up in my sneakers and I have been running in simple canvas tennis shoes (too poor to buy a new pair!).

So, question. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Rest.

If that is actually plantar faciitus then it can get very bad if you keep aggrevating it.

You should really get it looked at, then perhaps skin your cat and make some soft shoe inserts out of it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - decent running shoes - for my walking shoes I got some decent insoles with a high arch support - 100% fixed the problem....

Here is another thread from earlier this week (yes - these things are asked and answered by others ;-) ) with some great suggestions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/896738-plantar-fasciitis?hl=Plantar+Fasciitis#posts-14008056
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I am going to bet that your pain does, indeed, have to due with the fact you are not running with the proper shoes. You are running in canvas tennis shoes? Yeesh. I know you said you don't have enough money to buy new shoes, but seriously, if you plan on running regularly, you really need to find a way to invest in proper running shoes - or else you can cause more damage/pain than in just your foot.

As for your current pain, try flexing the foot, and if you have a resistance band, try that. Stretching properly before running is a must and sometimes you just have to give yourself time to rest so you don't aggravate it further.

Also, don't blink. Not even once. :wink:
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have plantar faciitis. I got it when trying to run weighing 258 pounds and it was just too much on my heel. I stopped running until I got to about 220 pounds. The pain was still there but I could at least bear weight on it.

I'm now 178 pounds and run 3-4 days a week and it still flares up but the smaller I get, the less pains I have. I might hobble some days but not for long. I know it will go when I get to a healthier weight.

I highly recommend getting fitted for proper shoes. I had a gait analysis and due to the plantar faciitis on my left foot, I have a slight over pronation. The goal then was to find me a shoe that corrected that op without over correcting my right foot that didn't need any correcting. It was worth every penny and I will go back in the summer for a recheck.

During the time I couldn't run, I bought an elliptical and used dvd's and Xbox kinect.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Stretch, Ice, and then stretch some more. When it flares rest. I tried to ignore the pain and ended up with surgery...Still pay the price to this day (and that was 15 years ago). Nothing to mess with.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Stretch several times a day! Also, when you are sitting take a bottle of frozen water and roll it under your feet. If that is unbearable due to the cold you can do what I do and use a golf ball to roll under your foot!
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have PF in my right foot since 3 years because of running in canvas shoes. I stopped running after that, went for ultrasonic massage eveyday but it was a temporary relief. Now i have started running again in good cushioned shoes and pain increased again. Went to doctor and he advised using night splints, foot stretches, putting feet in hot water followed by rolling ice water bottle under foot and it has helped.
  • juniperbug1980
    Options
    Thank-you all. I will be buying better shoes.

But as it turns out, I have arthritis in my foot. And my back. And my wrist. I feel like and old person.

@Sharkington: lol. That's right. Whatever you do- don't blink.
  • jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know you're supposed to ice PF, but I find that stretching my calves and toes plus 10 minutes with my feet on a heating pad before bed really helps. This should work especially well for arthritis.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For arch pain, get a lacrosse or tennis ball and stand on it and roll your foot around. I find all kinds of knots in that part of my foot (I have high arches) and it makes a world of difference. Otherwise, I suggest rest until you can get proper shoes. You can injure all kinds of things running in the wrong shoes.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    put a water bottle in the freezer. when its frozen roll it over and over on your foot..heel to toe. Also what really helped me was bike riding , either outdoors or on a stationary, this helps by putting pressure on the front part of your foot, stretching out your heel and arch.