Anyone bike outdoors??

Options
I'm looking at purchasing a bike in the near future, and honestly have no idea where to start.

Mostly will be doing trails, but want the choice of riding on the road. Looking for something lightweight, and I'm 5"4'.

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Can't specify a brand, but I have a mountain bike that I ride on the road. I use tires that are skinnier than trail tires, but fatter than road tires. That might work for you too.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    By trails do you mean paved or gravel? If paved or blacktop, that is what I ride on, along with the road. I LOVE my Trek Madone 3.1 road bike. Carbon frame - light!!!

Giant is a great brand too, as is Specialized.

My husband and I also have cross fitness bikes - road bike meets trail bike. Trek Utopia.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have an inexpensive hybrid bike that is great for road and trails. It's a fuji, small size, light enough that I can lift it over my head if needed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwE817v9ECKvjqsYULY8p7ZSCV40kSXlPKkAQkJgBIHJ9rcYBirA

It's a 2010 model, so you can get them for less than $250 used now.
  • mverburgt
    mverburgt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a Schwinn comfort bike that is basically a mountain bike that sits more upright and has a little narrower, less knobby tires. I use it for both and I have been really happy with it.
  • pegloor
    pegloor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This depends a bit on how fast you want to go. If you want a faster ride you could use a hybrid on both trails or roads (not as good as a mountain bike on trails and not as good as a road bike on roads, but a compromise) . (I have a mountain bike and a road bike - one giant, one trek. They are both good bikes.) If you want slower try a cruiser of some sort.

I think your best option is to go to a good bike shop. You can explain what you want to do, what kind of a rider you are, and they will make a good recommendation. They want to sell you a bike you like because they'd want you to be a happy repeat customer.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have a Cannondale Hybrid bike that is good on the roads and perfect on the trails during my rides in the park.