New group "40 Day Vegan Challenge"

Options
Motria
Motria Posts: 54 Member
Starting Monday March 18th, we're going 40 days without meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. All are welcome, whether you're trying out veganism for ethical/moral reasons, or maybe you're an Orthodox Christian observing Lent. I'm doing a little of both, personally.

Experienced vegans are quite welcome, too! Healthy ideas for meeting our protein requirements and yummy recipes are needed.

Toodle over here and join us..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12928-40-day-vegan-challenge-aka-orthodox-lent

Replies

• Happy4lifeHHH
    Happy4lifeHHH Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, being a Vegan isn't something that should be done as a diet or a challenge, its a lifestyle. If you can do it for 40 days, then do it for the rest of your life.
  • Motria
    Options
    In my opinion, being a Vegan isn't something that should be done as a diet or a challenge, its a lifestyle. If you can do it for 40 days, then do it for the rest of your life.

True! But I would point out that some people need a short-term challenge or experiment to prove to themselves that they can really do it. One of my friends did a 1-month vegan trial and now, over a year later, he's still going strong.

So, Happy4life - I see in your profile that you're studying Public Health. I hope you stick with it - it's an excellent and important field. If your passion is nutrition and fitness, then you can find a great career along those lines. I got my MS and later PhD in Environmental Health (at SPH, U of IL) and have a great job at the EPA. Good luck to you in your studies! :bigsmile:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options

Well put. I always recommend reading Forks Over Knives
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I started a 3 month challenge last year to see if I could lower my blood pressure....Still going just over a year later! Blood pressure went down too. :)
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well put. I always recommend reading Forks Over Knives
    [/quote]

Yes! This.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hrm... I've been a vegetarian for ages. I was vegan for a year, and the major issues I have were trace ingredients (WHEY IS IN ALMOST EVERYTHING) and cheese. I love cheese, and vegan cheese is terrible.

That said, I recommend avoiding most processed foods (even some breads have whey), stick to beans, rice, vegetables, fruits, etc. Also, make sure you are eating plenty of protein and iron! beans and dark green veggies!
  • michalekk58
    michalekk58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the Forks Over Knives Cookbook. Have not had a bad meal yet! Also, The Engine 2 Diet book was very helpful to get started. My husband and I have been eating plant strong since January (started earlier but really got it going in January). I am full vegan, he about 5 days a week. It's going well.
  • Motria
    Options
    I love the Forks Over Knives Cookbook. Have not had a bad meal yet! Also, The Engine 2 Diet book was very helpful to get started. My husband and I have been eating plant strong since January (started earlier but really got it going in January). I am full vegan, he about 5 days a week. It's going well.

Thanks everyone for the book recommendations and support!

I went through my pantry this weekend and did (as you say) find a lot of apparently vegetarian dishes that had milk protein or whey in them. It's just my first day going vegan and already I have a new appreciation for my vegan friends and those with food allergies - there is so much random stuff tossed into those processed food products! Well, you live and learn. :happy: