Just upped my calories and I'm freaking out

Options
Hello,
I've been tracking diligently with MFP since December and I have managed to lose weight at the standard 1200 without eating back my exercise calories.
After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I have worked out my BMR and if I'm sedentary (I'm not) then at my goal weight my body would burn 1643 calories.

I'm now worried that I've been starving myself, so I've just upped my calories to 1400 and I'm TERRIFIED.

Have I done the right thing? I'm so scared that I'll start gaining weight... I need a little support/guidance.

Replies

• opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    While everyone's different and can have different results from the same plan, all I can tell you is that I'm completely sedentary (although now working on that) and I lost around 65 lbs in 11 months eating between 1450 - 1500 calories. (I'm 5' 7) I upped my calories to my maintenance level of around 1650 - 1700 before Christmas and have stayed at the same weight since then. Good luck - stick with it and see how it works for you - why eat less when you can eat more and achieve sometimes even better results?
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    You are not going to gain weight eating 1400 calories a day. Try it out for a month and see if you have any better results. I went from eating 1200 to 1400 (my BMR) to now over 1700 (my TDEE - 20%) and I've never looked back.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Checkout youtube blog and group on here called 'Eat more to weigh Less!'

I just increased from 1560 to 1800! It helped break my plateau and I started losing again....instantly. Lost 3 lb last week and 3 week before! I'm 5'3, 174 lbs. I also took the Metabolic Testing at my gym and helped me find my resting heart rate and ideal fat burn zones for my heart rate monitor. This test told me my ideal caloric intake for my body and physical condition. I workout 5-6 days per week and eat very clean!

I thought it'd be hard to eat that much food, and the first few days it was...but honestly, since I'm very active my body wanted more food! I eat about every 2-2.5 hrs. I promise u will be ok, I know MFP defaults you to 1200, but customize your settings and increase it!

Most importantly, listen to ur body and eat up and drink tons of the best diet drink out there,,,,WATER ! ;) ***cheers***

Happy journey, Shannon ATL
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay. :)
    I was also nervous to up my own calories (from 1500),
    but now I comfortably eat 1800 calories per day.
    I have a lot more energy & I'm not grumpy from being hungry. :P
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's going to be ok! 1200 is typically way below a healthy adults BMR so I wouldn't worry about being at 1400. I've been at 1500 since before Christmas and I average 1lb/week. You may be losing weight at 1200---or actually way below that if you aren't eating back your exercise calories but your body may also be burning muscle which you do not want. Just relax and give it a real chance. I would say at least a month and try eating back some of your exercise calories.
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think that's the main thing, at 1200 I was often pretty tired, I'm hoping that 1400 will help get my energy levels back on track. Should I start eating back exercise cals at 1400? Or will that be too much! I feel like I should probably see a doctor about what's right for me but I've never been above my healthy weight range so I feel like they'll just think I'm crazy for wanting to lose weight.

Thank you so much for all of your responses so far, I'll definitely check out the "eat more weigh less" thing.

Also, how do you deal with the "projected weight loss" when you finish tracking for the day? I feel like it'll make me depressed to see that number go up at the end of today...
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just upped mine too from 1366 to 1900 and I'm nervous as well but hopefully this works!