Starting for the last time

Options
I'm 43. I weigh 236 lbs and have a measured waist of 48.5 inches. (I'm 5'9). My snoring has gotten to the point that it prevents my wife from healthy sleep. (She doesn't have a weight problem).

I'm tired of carrying the extra weight and I want to live healthy. My biggest faults are a lack of strength exercising (I've run a 10K appx 4 years ago, but I can't do a pull-up and I can only do minimal push-ups - I want to be stronger), binge eating and poor diet choices (I know what to eat to lose weight, but as an emotional eater - I make choices that make me feel good in the instant (sugar, fats). I can't think of actions that make me feel as good, as eating poorly does.

So that's my intro. I want to succeed this time. I'm willing to sacrifice my past behavior choices (not exercising, eating poorly) with the hope that I will learn to appreciate healthy food and feeling healthy.

Replies

• reneeb1980
    reneeb1980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi drb2013! i've just started back posting on myfitnesspal. i can truly understand the issue of emotional eating and, i, too know what it is i need but i choose the easy road instead of the challenging one. that's been my biggest downfall. now i realize that reaching out for support will help me this time around. i wish u the best of luck with gettting healthier : )!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! It looks like that you are determined to make healthy changes in your lifestyle. That is something to be proud of. I would recommend starting with small steps to reach your goals and begin by deciding what your ultimate goals are going to be. I understand that you want to lose weight and you stated you know what to eat to be be healthy. What type of nutrition plan do you plan on following? The reason I ask is because it can be very confusing and alot of people struggle with this aspect and exercise along with nutrition is what is going to help you succeed. If it's been a long time since you exercised I would probably recommend starting with walking until you build your activity level. I am going to send you a buddy request and we can talk more if you want support and motivation. Talk to you soon.
    Lisa
  • buckeyebuc
    buckeyebuc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey DRB, you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I am 44, 230 lbs. I have been as low as 213 but took me a bit to realize that my promotion at work to a lot less physical position was affecting my progress.

My attitude toward my weight loss was not looking at it as a diet to get to a certain number but that I was making a conscious effort to live the rest of my life this way. I have found foods that are not only great in taste but also much healthier than the choices I used to make.

If I can be of any help just let me know, feel free to friend me as well and together we CAN get this accomplished.
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you're here and ready to make a change! Let your goals motivate you to stick with it when times are tough!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Remember good days, bad days, miainfornation and confusion are common. But welcome back and feel free to add me if you like. I look great in a cheerleader uniform.