Female reassurance?

It's normal for a female to gain 3-4 pounds during her time of the month, yes? Stepping on the scale and seeing a 3lb weight gain after working your butt off is a bit discouraging. I'm supposed to get my period in a few days. This is normal, right?

Replies

• texastwilight
    texastwilight Posts: 25 Member
    Very normal! It happens to me every time and by the time I am done those pesky pounds are gone.
  • JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    I think every woman's different, but I was curious once so I weighed myself in the middle of my period (3rd or 4th day) and then again the day after it was over (5th or 6th). Same scale, same time of day, no clothing - and I was FIVE POUNDS HEAVIER on my period. I think it was combined with giving in to a craving or two, plus water retention and bloat. Try and avoid weighing yourself right before/during your period and save it for after - it'll only discourage you to see a number higher than you were expecting!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I refuse to weigh myself during that time of the month for that very reason. I keep away from the scale for about 9 days (3 days before periods due and 2 days after it's over). :tongue:
  • florulent
    florulent Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Very normal! It happens to me every time and by the time I am done those pesky pounds are gone.

Love your pic! I know exactly where that is!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Absolutely! I choose to not weigh that week and for the first few days afterwards.....
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    That's just how it is, completely normal. Just know in the back of your mind that you *will* gain 2-5 pounds leading up to your period,and that you'll pee it all out at the end of your period. I don't take it to heart, it's temporary and has nothing to do with diet or nutrition. But I do occassionally weigh myself at that time, just to track it and to be familiar with what's normal for me. Because I'm at an age where 'normal' is constantly changing, lol.

You can keep on top of it a little bit by trying to avoid sodium the week before.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    It happens to me and I don't even have a flipping uterus anymore!
  • drugrug
    drugrug Posts: 50
    Totally! Water weight!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member

Well that sucks!
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    It's normal for a female to gain 3-4 pounds during her time of the month, yes? Stepping on the scale and seeing a 3lb weight gain after working your butt off is a bit discouraging. I'm supposed to get my period in a few days. This is normal, right?

Yessum it is normal. My weight always goes up during my TOM :( I don't check my weight anymore during that time.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Absolutely normal. Frustrating as hell
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Yup. Had that happen one too many times.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member

Well that sucks!

Yeah! In some ways it's so, so much better. Obviously no periods and I don't get super bloated anymore, but I still get a little sad/irritable and hold onto some water.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Absolutely. Keep going and don't let it stop ya!