275 calorie power-breakfast !! :)))

Options
YUMMIE Breakfast !!!

Quaker maple syrup & brown sugar – 40% less sugar (120 cal)
Half a banana (53)
A small sprinkle raisins (23)
6 green grapes (20)
Small sprinkle of pineapple (10)
Small sprinkle of honey melon (50)

Replies

• RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Too bad this is really high GI and high sugar.Tasty, but a terrible breakfast.

Breakfast should ideally be full of whole grains, protein and nutrients to keep you feeling full for longer, this recipe will spike your blood sugar and you'll crash sooner and harder.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    where is the Protein? sounds tasty but how is that a power Breakfast?
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My power breakfast is an Ezekiel english muffin with 2 whole eggs sprinkled with a little salt and fresh cracked pepper (maybe some green onion)! I like to make an "egg patty" with the eggs by cracking them into one of those small egg pans and cooking them low and slow or just throwing them in the microwave. Then I put it together for my own version of an egg mcmuffin :) Exactly 300 cals and so filling. Great fuel to start the day.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    how the heck do you sprinkle pineapple??
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree, where's the protein? I often have oatmeal, but I don't pair it with a lot of fruit. I'll have milk and some meat or cheese. Keeps me feeling full much longer than fruit would.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    yum=yes but not would i would call a power breakfast i find if i only eat fruit for breakfast i get really hungry really fast.

my fav power breakfast is boiled eggs, Boil n peel them the night before and eat on the go!
  • kmw899
    kmw899 Posts: 41
    Options
    I've stopped eating oatmeal in packets. Maple and Brown Sugar was my favorite. Have you seen the ingredients? Not good.

Now, I buy oats and add my own syrup and brown sugar. For added protein I'll sometimes add half water, half milk.

I think it tastes better than the prepackaged stuff!
  • meagtheleo
    Options
    Steel cut oats or Groats have lower GI than regular oatmeal and I agree with the packages having TOO MUCH SUGAR!. Groats are not as easy to find as steel cut oats but they have the lowest GI. I cook a big pot on Sunday and portion it out for a few days. It is not good to eat the same thing everyday either so maybe come up with three breakfast options.

Steel Cut Oats:
    1/4 c dried steel cut oats
    3/4 c water
    bring to boil then cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes
    add stevia instead of sugar for no cal or use agave nectar
    throw in a handful of fruit and a sprinkle of nuts and cinnamon

Groats can be found at Whole Foods
    1 c groats
    3 c water
    bring to boil then cover and reduce to low
    simmer for 10 min then shut heat off and let them sit over night

its almost like rice but oat flavored (LOTS OF FIBER!)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    While the packages are high in sugar, I don't actually see what you all are making such a big deal about. First, as long as you're tracking the calories, having some sugar is fine. Second, starting your day with carbs helps kickstart your energy for the day. Third, a lot of the sugar in this breakfast is from fruits, which, come on people, are (gasp) actually good for you. So while cooking your own oats may be healthier this isn't as terrible a breakfast as some of you are making it out to be, especially if you budget in a snack a couple hours later.
  • RhiannonLeighh
    Options
    Yes you should have carbs for breakfast, but wholegrain, low GI carbs. Oats re low GI, but packet stuff is no where near as good as real oats without sugary flavouring. Artifical sweetners aren't that much better than real sugar anyway.
    And yes, fructose is better for you than sucrose, but it is still a lot of sugar to be having in the morning. As I mentioned before, all sugar is high GI and will spike your blood sugars, making you peak, crash and burn very quickly.
    And while keeping a track of calories and sugar intake is great, keep in mind that sugars come from all different sources and are commonly found in simple carb foods like bread and crackers etc, so it's very easy to go over your sugar intake for the day if you are having so much in your breakfast, the a sandwich for lunch, then rice/pasta/potatoes for dinner.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Where's the bacon??
  • prettyblack69
    Options
    ok so here is the thing people, everyone is going about their life style change in different ways! just because one person eats whole grain oatmeal instead of the packets doesnt mean you should talk down on the other persons diet! cuz lets b honest both ways are healthier than biskets and bacon!! lets all work together and encourage one another! dnt become one of those people everyone hates. and by those people i mean, the ones that loose a couple of pounds and then all of a sudden they think they are a nutritionist! lets not!!!
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ok so here is the thing people, everyone is going about their life style change in different ways! just because one person eats whole grain oatmeal instead of the packets doesnt mean you should talk down on the other persons diet! cuz lets b honest both ways are healthier than biskets and bacon!! lets all work together and encourage one another! dnt become one of those people everyone hates. and by those people i mean, the ones that loose a couple of pounds and then all of a sudden they think they are a nutritionist! lets not!!!

Thank you!
  • RhiannonLeighh
    Options
    If your referring to me I never meant to seem condecending, I just know how it is to be misinformed about food and dieting then getting frustrated about why I'm not losing weight. Just trying to help out, that's all.
    And I'm actually studying nutrition, haha :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Thank you!