The Secret Nerd Society

Options
Aviflora
Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
Hello everyone! I am curious, how many of you guys are Closet Nerds? Y'know, not telling your friends about your newest favorite anime, wondering if a playstation controller could be logged as exercise, attempting to lose weight for a skimpy-ish cosplay...

Most people don't see me as a closet nerd at all, and they are quite surprised to know that I've even tried LARPing (I didn't like it). And I will admit, I'm guilty of the three pointers I listed above. :D

So, where oh where are my nerd-friends? <3

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    The nerdiest I get is a WoW obsession.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some "nerd" in them ... only the cool people admit it though!
  • Crawkins
    Crawkins Posts: 32
    Options
    I think everyone is nerdy about something, though anime, computers, video games, and table-top gaming are the traditional interests. I definitely hide my nerdy side at work because its my job to be very outgoing and well-adapted haha.

I just did a cosplay last week for a con! (Eri Kasamoto from the Metal Slug games).

You betcha I worked my butt off to look good in that outfit!
  • atypicalGirl
    atypicalGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went on a 35 minute run this morning so that I could proceed to sit around and play Minecraft and Assassin's Creed III all day.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Nuttin wrong with that!
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nothing closet about it, I'm a total nerd.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm out of the closet and proud. My living room is full of Lego, my feature wall is 9 prop replica lightsabres, my DVD cabinet is full matched seasons of every sci-fi show you can name, my wedding cake topper is my and hubby to be in a tardis...
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am a full blown nerd. No need to be closeted!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I remember the day I came out of the closet. I was working on building a desktop computer when my Mom walked in on me. The look of horror on her face while I stood there with a heat sink in one hand and a tube of thermal paste in the other was just too much to take. There were lots of tears, which freaked me out because I didn't want my internal computer components to get wet, but we made it through. All of my family members have come to accept that I like computers.

I feel so free now.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd, but I work with all nerds and my hubby is a nerd, so no hiding it here. :drinker:
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Complete nerd, and luckily I live in an environment where it's fully acceptable to be uncloseted about it (college, engineering school.) :glasses: Spending my free time volunteering in a lab, being the ultimate Harry Potter and Doctor Who fan, building things on circuit boards for fun, spending valentines day playing video games with my date... I can't get much nerdier.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    NOT A NERD, but
    What is an intelligent man? A man who enters with ease and completeness into the spirit of things and the intention of persons, and who arrives at an end by the shortest route

The brave, impetuous heart yields everywhere to the subtle, contriving heart
    Talent, taste, wit, good sense are very different things but by no means incompatible. Between good sense and good taste there exists the same difference as between cause and effect, and between wit and talent there is the same proportion as between a whole and its parts.
    The slave has but one master; the man of...
    Discretion is the perfection of reason...
    The exact contrary of what is generally...
    It is easier to enrich ourselves with a...
    There are only two ways of getting on in..
    More Thoughts On Intelligence
    I am clever; and make no scruple of...
    If you would take, you must first give...
    Intellectual blemishes, like facial...
    People of quality know everything...
    Not many men have both good fortune

Ability
    Achievements
    Beliefs
    Business
    Family
    Friendship
    Government
    Happiness
    Health
    Intelligence
    Knowledge
    Life
    Love
    Memory
    Mind
    Money
    Nature
    Opportunities
    Perseverance
    Pleasure
    Politics
    Progress
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    <-- closet nerd (math major, technogeek, gamer, knows lines from Vampire Hunter D..)
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    NOT A NERD, but
    What is an intelligent man? A man who enters with ease and completeness into the spirit of things and the intention of persons, and who arrives at an end by the shortest route

The brave, impetuous heart yields everywhere to the subtle, contriving heart
    Talent, taste, wit, good sense are very different things but by no means incompatible. Between good sense and good taste there exists the same difference as between cause and effect, and between wit and talent there is the same proportion as between a whole and its parts.
    The slave has but one master; the man of...
    Discretion is the perfection of reason...
    The exact contrary of what is generally...
    It is easier to enrich ourselves with a...
    There are only two ways of getting on in..
    More Thoughts On Intelligence
    I am clever; and make no scruple of...
    If you would take, you must first give...
    Intellectual blemishes, like facial...
    People of quality know everything...
    Not many men have both good fortune

Ability
    Achievements
    Beliefs
    Business
    Family
    Friendship
    Government
    Happiness
    Health
    Intelligence
    Knowledge
    Life
    Love
    Memory
    Mind
    Money
    Nature
    Opportunities
    Perseverance
    Pleasure
    Politics
    Progress

Don't forget he needs to know the difference between Prada and Versace and also knows how to pronounce Hermes (not the Greek god)
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Amazing responses. You all make me want to come out of the closet. :D I believe I shall. Thank you all!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, Agreed!

lmao
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am an OUT of the closet nerd. I attend Nerd Pride every year. It's called Comicon!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight to look better in my Erza cosplay in May
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've never hidden my geekiness either. I don't tend to use the work "nerd" though, since that word also implies a social ineptitude that I don't possess. At least I don't think I do... I mean, I can talk to a girl without stuttering and staring at her boobs. Usually...
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to keep a secret; frankly, I embrace it. I've logged over 370 hours in Skyrim, play video games during 75% of my free time, love my college major (and write a blog so I can gush about it), read a lot for fun, and regularly cite memes and internet culture during my everyday life.

If we're gonna get real stereotypical, I also wear glasses and used to have an overbite.

Nerd reppin'.