I have to know...

Options
kleonard42
kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
Ok, I am really struggling with some of my days and I could really use some help. I do fine staying under my calories each day, I work out hard 6 days a week, drink plenty of water...but I just had my first day of going like 300-400 calories OVER my daily calories and I feel horrible! I've had a few days where I've gone like 50 or so over but those were TOM nights and I had worked out on those days...and, like I said, just a couple times.

Are there any success stories that can be shared by people who have done this anytime along their journey? Please help me chill out! I'm feeling pretty crappy about this and I know I can get some encouragement here. I haven't been using MFP any longer than about 50 something days but I do know you guys are awesome at picking people up!

Thanks!!

Replies

• LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read once that a binge wont kill you and that the best thing to do is work out as soon as possible and continue with your normal diet plan. Keep moving forward, it happens to everyone!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    300-400 over really is not that much; what you are probably feeling is GUILT... Don't let that happen to you. If you are being as accurate as possible and have your settings for a pound per week loss, you actually hit right below maintenance... This means that this one day, you probably about broke even (1 pound per week loss is 500 calorie deficit)... You may find a bump in the scale over the next day or so, but it will not last... You are doing fine. I have gone over a thousand cals over a few times but have only lost 123 lbs. over the past year or so... As long as it is not a regular trend, relax and don't worry about it.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just remember that tomorrow you'll be on track and also remember that your calories goal is at a deficit. You can just think of today as a maintenance day. Keep up the good work and keep logging every day! I just had my 700th day! :blushing: truly, logging every day is key to your success even if you see red on the bottom line.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    When I was starting out with this weight loss stuff, I read an article from a personal trainer (and I'm sorry that I can't remember the name) who basically said that for 6 days a week, you stay on track, but that 7th day is yours to enjoy anything you like. I think he called it a cheat day - and it's what I call them (or alternatively "I Don't Care Days"). His argument was that if you are trying to lose, going over your goal one day a week will help keep your body from adjusting too much to the limited calorie intake.

Being a glutton myself, I thought "Hey, that sounds kind of awesome, so I'll try it." That was three years ago. I've lost all the weight I've wanted to, look and feel much better about myself, and continue to track (and to allow for those I Don't Care Days). And in fact, after my 'cheat day', I feel like I'm ready to get back to tracking again.

So the moral of the story is this - you don't have to be on top of it every single day to be successful.

ETA - Some people don't do well with cheat days; for me, it wasn't a problem, but others find they need to stick to their plan every day. Either way, keep logging daily and stick to your overall plan.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I go over almost every weekend by at least, if not more than 1000cals, and continue to drop weight.

Be good to yourself for the most part, and I find the body treats you with the same respect.
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you think about it strictly on numbers, you will feel better!

It takes you 3,500 calories OVER your resting metabolic burn rate to gain a pound. If you burn 2,000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, you'd need to eat over than to gain anything at all, and a few hundred calories over that amount is not going to make you gain necessarily.

MFP sets your calorie limit AT LEAST a few hundred under this rate. For instance, I burn about 2,000 calories a day if I don't do any more exercise than I normally do. My current MFP calorie goal is 1,400 calories per day. I'd have to eat 600 calories over my limit to MAINTAIN my current rate, let alone gain anything.

I'm sure that you're in the same boat. That being said, speaking strictly by the numbers, you probably are still in the range where you are losing weight, even if you eat a few hundred calories over your goal!

Keep it up; don't get discouraged. The one tip I can give you for the time being if you are truly worried about a binge or whatever is to drink some water. That's the best, healthiest thing you can do after a binge (from what I've heard,at least)!
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    About 9 days ago, I had a whopper of a day. I went over by 2000 calories! I made a point to step up the exercise over the next week and cut what I ate by about 100 or so calories a day (and not eating back my exercise calories). I ended up losing 2 lbs that week. Don't let it get you down if you go over a little. Just work a little harder over the next few days. Guilt about the overage is what will cause the most damage (lead to more binging or giving up), so don't feel guilty about it. Just keep going. Hey, I'd say that if this is the first big (and not really all that big) overage in 50 days, you're doing amazing.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had 30 + days of going 300 calories over my plan,
    20 + days of going 500 calories over my plan
    10 + days of going 1000 calories over my plan,
    And definitely a few topping 3,000 calories.

This is very normal for a dieter. Consistency over time is key. I've still lost almost 50 pounds and have not gained it back! I still wake up every day at 105 pounds! Why? Because I work out a lot and cut a deficit or break even on most days.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've gone over many times. I wouldn't be worried about 300-400 calories unless I did it every day for a week or something.

The biggest test is not being 100% perfect on your calories, but how you react when you do go over. Beating yourself up, throwing up your hands and saying "See? I can't do it right" is not what successful losers do. They resolve to do better tomorrow and move on.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you so soooo much! Each reply has been very helpful. I already have my alarm set for a 30min treadclimber workout in the morning. I think that doing that along w my afternoon zumba workout will make me feel better about tonight. I'll do this for the whole week....maybe it'll just become a regular thing for me!

Please, any more replies to this are mooore than welcome!! This is making me feel so supported. I don't feel so much like a failure anymore (and I've had my share of even really close people making me feel like total crap for things like this)

Thank you all so much for helping make me feel better!
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    One day will not break you. If you go over your calorie limit, just eat better the next day. You can't undo it, just make sure it doesn't become a regular thing. It'll slow weight loss progress but it won't STOP it.

It's great to accept that this will sometimes happen, just focus on eating right the next day and stress less :)
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I went WAY over last Sunday when we went for Chinese buffet. I felt really bloated and nasty after but I didn't feel too guilty. I still managed to lose a pound this past week. Don't let it stress you out! Just stick with your plan and keep going!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    We had a drug rep lunch in our office, pizza...OMG I had about 7 to 8 slices and went over about 2000 calories for that day...still lost 2+ lbs that week. I kept up my exercise, was spot on the rest of the week and didn't let that throw me for a loop as I would previously. 70 days in now and 34 lbs. down, one day more or less won't kill me, I just don't make a habit of it. :drinker:
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had a week like that last month (in February). I felt terrible since I didn't have that "clean, healthy" feeling, but I just restarted and continued going since then. I lost 20 pounds before that happened. I didn't gain anything back. The scale barely moved that week, but I was glad that it didn't go up either. It has been almost a month since that happened, and I've lost another 20 pounds since then. Don't get to down on yourself. Just pick yourself back up and keep going. You can do it!!!
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Last week I went over my calories 3 times. One time by 800 cals and I felt awful. However, I still managed to lose half a pound so I think that you will be fine.

Just breathe, get back on track (and maybe workout a little harder during your next exercise session :wink: )
  • beckers_99
    beckers_99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OP- I've done MFP a couple times, and I realized that if you have calorie confusion as well, that seems to help. This time I've been eating 1200 calories for over a month, each day. Well, I went away for vacation, was gone 2.5 weeks an lost 5.8 pds. Away is where I realized that I'm better at doing 1200,1400, 1600 calories....I never ate the same each day, so maybe you neede the extra that day, your body will talk with you, if you listen to it.
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go over almost every weekend by at least, if not more than 1000cals, and continue to drop weight.

Be good to yourself for the most part, and I find the body treats you with the same respect.

This is kinda what I am doing. Not really with food. I enjoy Captain Morgan or Miller Lite. But I do log that also. BUt if I go over, I don't sweat it. Keep it up.
  • brenna2304
    brenna2304 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is NOT STRESS over it. Stress- not the amount of calories you consumed-it's what will slow down your progress. Nothing harms your body like stress does. Not even deliciously bad for you pizza :-)
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1200 calorie girl and I went over by 500 yesterday which still showed me as losing 4 pounds in the five week time frame. Going over by 300-400 calories is not what I'd consider a bad day.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you (and I have gone way over several times) is to put it behind you... and move forward!

Don't beat yourself up over being human and falling off the wagon for a day. Know it, understand it, press on :glasses:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!