How does this TDEE stuff work?

Options
Hi...so although Im not new to losing weight (and gaining it and losing it...), I am new to all this TDEE, RMR, BMR stuff.

MFP is saying my intake should be 1200 cals a day. Im finding this quite difficult, especially since I'm moderately active, on top of 10 hours at the office.

I saw a post where someone said your daily calorie consumption should be 15-20% less than your TDEE? That true? If so, and my TDEE was calculated at around 2600, that basically clears me to eat 2,000 calories a day. That sounds like a lot (but much better). Will eating 1200/cals a day actually slow down my weight loss, or just be more discouraging since im always hungry?

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If your calculated TDEE is correct, then yes, that is about how much you should be eating for healthy, sustainable weight loss, and eating 1200 will result in hampered metabolic function and loss of lean body mass over time.

Read this for the exhaustive answer:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat TDEE - 20%. Mfp put me at 1,200 but TDEE - 20% put me around 1,850 at sedentary!

I am enjoying it a lot more. I'm still losing weight, and being able to go out with friends and my partner. If I go over for the day, I don't feel like it messes me up.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    For your sanity, please try eating a much smaller deficit first to test and see how much weight you are initially losing. You may find you can lose a satisfactory amount while allowing yourself to eat more. If you aren't losing at all after a few consecutive weeks of eating a certain calorie amount, then you can reduce it slightly and continue this strategy until you are losing. People who drop calories too severely too soon do not give themselves much options as to how to adjust their deficits.

Edit: Also, eating a higher amount may let you stumble upon your actual TDEE. Most people do not know how much energy in food they need to eat to maintain weight; without this baseline number, it's very difficult to "guess" the proper deficit. Thus, you'd know what your actual TDEE is (which you can use for later when you bump up calories as you get closer to your goal) and eat more food to reduce fat mass.
  • Jademadeley
    Options
    Has anyone increased their daily calorie allowance and had increased weight loss? MFP has mine set to 1200, I just worked out my tdee to be 1810 minus the 20% - 1448. I have been feeling frustrated lately because although I'm getting fitter with exercise, I can't really notice any difference in my figure shape. Could that be why?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Has anyone increased their daily calorie allowance and had increased weight loss? MFP has mine set to 1200, I just worked out my tdee to be 1810 minus the 20% - 1448. I have been feeling frustrated lately because although I'm getting fitter with exercise, I can't really notice any difference in my figure shape. Could that be why?

Increased calories usually results in increased weight loss, after a short period of adjustment. I raised my calories by 50 per week for three weeks. During those three weeks, I maintained weight. Once I had reached my new goal, I lost 2.2 lbs immediately.
  • Jademadeley
    Options
    Cool, thanks :)
  • ThinkMini
    ThinkMini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. Thanks. I'll move up to 1500 and take it from there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate TDEE. They figure your BMR and your daily activity but not exercise. It is up to you to choose the right level of daily activity including your job. MFP's numbers also depend on what you choose for your weightloss goal. 2lbs a week is too high for a lot of people. THe less you have to lose, the lower your goal should be.
    Also, MFP assumes you will log your exercise and tells you to eat those calories back, so even at 1200, on days you exercise you would eat more.

TDEE figures everything, your daily activity and anticipated exercise, then suggests you subtract 20% (which would be closer to 1 lb a week).

I've done it both ways and usually they end up pretty much in the same place.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Flab2Thin
    Flab2Thin Posts: 34
    Options
    bump
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate TDEE. They figure your BMR and your daily activity but not exercise. It is up to you to choose the right level of daily activity including your job. MFP's numbers also depend on what you choose for your weightloss goal. 2lbs a week is too high for a lot of people. THe less you have to lose, the lower your goal should be.
    Also, MFP assumes you will log your exercise and tells you to eat those calories back, so even at 1200, on days you exercise you would eat more.

TDEE figures everything, your daily activity and anticipated exercise, then suggests you subtract 20% (which would be closer to 1 lb a week).

I've done it both ways and usually they end up pretty much in the same place.

THIS^^ most people tell MFP they want to lose 2lb a week and then don't bother eating their exercise calories back, Thinking they will not lose weight. MFP has already created a deficit before exercise.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is calculated at 1960.

TDEE - 20% = 1568

More than I normally eat, but I'm gonna give it a go!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi...so although Im not new to losing weight (and gaining it and losing it...), I am new to all this TDEE, RMR, BMR stuff.

MFP is saying my intake should be 1200 cals a day. Im finding this quite difficult, especially since I'm moderately active, on top of 10 hours at the office.

I saw a post where someone said your daily calorie consumption should be 15-20% less than your TDEE? That true? If so, and my TDEE was calculated at around 2600, that basically clears me to eat 2,000 calories a day. That sounds like a lot (but much better). Will eating 1200/cals a day actually slow down my weight loss, or just be more discouraging since im always hungry?

if you are moderately active then how have you got MFP to set you 1200 cals? you are probably setting your deficit too high - set it again as moderate active and losing only 1lb per week, and eat back your exercise calories. this should put you at roughly the same as TDEE -20%