cant see much of a difference?

Options
I've now lost around 16lbs....but to be truthful, I cant really see that much of a difference? I know there is, as my clothes are fitting better but its not as drastic a vision in the mirror as i thought I would see. Anyone else thinking similar of themselves?

Replies

• angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Try looking at pictures. I've lost almost 80 pounds and when I see myself in the mirror I feel like I look the same but when I see pictures of me then versus now its such a drastic difference! :wink:
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've now lost around 16lbs....but to be truthful, I cant really see that much of a difference? I know there is, as my clothes are fitting better but its not as drastic a vision in the mirror as i thought I would see. Anyone else thinking similar of themselves?

16 lbs equals 1 1/2 sizes.
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try looking at pictures. I've lost almost 80 pounds and when I see myself in the mirror I feel like I look the same but when I see pictures of me then versus now its such a drastic difference! :wink:

This! Make sure to take progress pictures! It's hard to notice the changes in the mirror, I think it takes a long time for your brain to catch up with the weight you've lost. I don't feel much different now to when I was 30+lbs heavier, but my pictures show a big change in my body.

Also, if your clothes are fitting differently try to focus on that! I give myself such a hard time sometimes about how my body looks... then I look down and realise I'm wearing a pair of jeans that wouldn't have even gone past my thighs this time last year. Focus on those NSVs :smile:
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Did you measure yourself before you started? I have also lost 16 pounds, and since I have such a long way to go yet until I get to my goal, I didn't give a second thought to my not being able to see a difference. BUT - after taking my measurements, I found that I have lost a total of 12 inches!
  • Jademadeley
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've lost12 or 13 lbs which is about half way to my target weight and although I feel more fit through the increase of exercise, I don't feel I look any slimmer or more toned. Also, I think I've reached a plateau as my weight has stayed the same for the last 3 weeks...does anyone have any advise how to get my weight loss momentum back?
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've lost 12 lbs and it's like uh where?
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've lost12 or 13 lbs which is about half way to my target weight and although I feel more fit through the increase of exercise, I don't feel I look any slimmer or more toned. Also, I think I've reached a plateau as my weight has stayed the same for the last 3 weeks...does anyone have any advise how to get my weight loss momentum back?

I've heard eating at maintenance for a week or so can kick start your body again :) Its what im gonna try when i hit one. That and shaking up your exercise routine a little :smile:
  • Jademadeley
    Options
    So eating like 600 calories more? Thanks, worth a try although maybe if I just do it for a couple of days as I really wanna lose as much weight as possible in the next month! Hopefully that will work :)
  • 2013queen
    2013queen Posts: 82
    Options
    Same. 12 pounds down (total to lose from start is 2.5 stone), cant see the difference in the mirror. It is reflected in my clothes I suppose but nowhere near as good as I thought. I genuinely think another stone and I might see something!
    My other half has commented but no one else has noticed... well depressed, and been at it since Jan!!!
    My goal is by September to have achieved this and at the moment it seems very very unlikely :(
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Photos and how your clothes fit are really the best things to look at. Because we see ourselves every day our brain keeps adjusting the self image and you just don't notice the changes which can be quite demoralising. My problem is I keep looking in the mirror and wondering why my legs aren't getting any longer or my hair any less frizzy, but I guess some parts of us are here to stay however hard we work at it.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    First of all well done for losing the weight. It took me ages to notice the difference and like some of the other comments have said, look at old pictures, sometimes you can tell by your clothes, believe me that also makes a big difference. My husband also commented which helped my confidence as well. I didnt see it for ages but one day I deciced to try a pair of trousers on which have always been tight and now these are too big which is great. You will get there it does take time and again well done on your weight loss so far:bigsmile:
  • BearHugger78
    Options
    It can be a challenge. For some people 15 lbs yields a truly remarkable transformation immediately apparent in their before and after pictures, and it can create unrealistic expectations for people who lose weight differently.

Remarkably, I don't think I've lost an inch off my belly in 48 lbs, and if I look at my own before and afters and focus on just my "problem areas", I can't see a lick of difference. Those 48 lbs came off overwhelmingly from my legs, arms, face, and neck, and it's only when I look at those areas that I can see that I've actually made a lot of progress. Incidentally, I now look even more ridiculous because the skinnier me elsewhere exaggerates the giant tire around my waist. :grumble:

How my clothes fit is actually the most comforting indicator for me ... I might not see or even be able to measure a difference, but I can tell something is different if my clothes fit differently.
  • oncearound
    oncearound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't typically see a difference in myself or so others can notice until almost 25 pounds gone. Not sure why but if you have very little to lose, maybe you won't notice such a big change?