calories and workout question

Options
When I set my goals I put that I would be working out for 45min 7 days a week. So does that mean the calories for that workout is already subtracted from my daily calories or do I still have to enter everyday that 45min workout?

Replies

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    you have to still enter that you have did cardio or weights
    I dont add my workouts to MFP as it messes all the amounts up that you can eat that day thats one thats one thing i dont like about MFP and i dont eat back my food
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'll add and try not to eat those points back, doesn't make sense to me to do so. Thanks
  • germangirl88
    germangirl88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience I would eat those calories back. It didn't make sense to me also until the scale stopped moving. Basically I was consuming less than a thousand calories a day and that put my body into starvation mode. As long as you're eating within a healthy calorie range (adding your exercise in) then that is ok. After I started eating my calories back the scale started to move again. Hope this helps
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    When I set my goals I put that I would be working out for 45min 7 days a week. So does that mean the calories for that workout is already subtracted from my daily calories or do I still have to enter everyday that 45min workout?

MFP doesn't take into account any exercise until you actually do it.

It's probably the only site I know that works like this. It takes a defict from your estimated Non-exercise burn, and expects you to eat back exercise calorie to stop the defict gettiing too large

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Sandylovesm
    Sandylovesm Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience I would eat those calories back. It didn't make sense to me also until the scale stopped moving. Basically I was consuming less than a thousand calories a day and that put my body into starvation mode. As long as you're eating within a healthy calorie range (adding your exercise in) then that is ok. After I started eating my calories back the scale started to move again. Hope this helps

This^^ I know everyone is different, but it worked for me too. I was the same, i did not understand how eating more would make me lose weight. The reason was simple: my body had no cals left to burn, so it just did not do it. Maybe your cal goal is not 1200, and that could change things. We're just talking aobout our personal experience, hoping that could help ;)

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lily2321
    lily2321 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just changed my profile and changed from doing exercise three times a week to none and it didn't change my calorie allowance at all. So I don't think it effects your daily allowance no matter what you put think it is more a reminder of how much exercise you have done that week. AS for eating extra calories if I have done a lot of exercise like go for a decent run then I eat more calories to also prevent starvation mode because if I don't I feel my weight loss remains static don't know if this is logical just makes sense in my head
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I try and make sure that I am under my calories and then add my workout . I only eat my back calories if I am really hungry (usually after a long workout). :bigsmile:
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If eating back calories is working for some people I'll try it and see. Anything would be better than the 3lbs in 5mths I lost on ww.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

The exercise you put in your goals makes NO difference to your calorie goal. You can try it putting in ridiculous amounts and see what happens (nothing! :laugh: ).

What MFP does take into account is the activity level you enter (sedentary, etc.). However, that activity level doesn't include your exercise - it's just your usual level of activity depending on whether you have an active job or not, etc.

MFP is set up for you to eat exercise calories back. That's why it changes your goal. The goal it gives you is the minimum for the day. As soon as you do any exercise and add it in the goal should increase. You "should" be adding in those calories AND eating them back. You don't want to be eating too little!

(There are other ways to use MFP - I put in my own calorie goal which is higher than theirs and then don't add in exercise. But if you're following MFP's goal, then you're expected to add in the exercise and eat it back).