Lifting

Options
I would like to start lifting weights but don't know where to start. Please can someone give me some advice on what sort of weights and how heavy. Also can someone guide me in the right direction of routines. I am ready to lift. Thank you

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

Yes, yes, yes.
    As for weight - you will need to start with what you can comfortably lift with a bit of a challenge. You'll learn the moves and then progress in weight. It's not a competition to lift heavier than anyone else - only yourself. Always progress with weight when the time is appropriate (form is good and you're ready). :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'd advise you to start where most people do: major compound movements like squats, bench press, deadlifts, performed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with a weight that you find challenging at 5 to 8 repetitions, for anywhere from 3 to 5 sets. You could also incorporate lifts like overhead press, bent-over rows, and pull-ups.

On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and/or Sundays, you could do some cardio (or not) -- things like walking, running, sprinting, cycling. Alternatively, rest on those days.

If that's all you do, you'll get much stronger.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'd advise you to start where most people do: major compound movements like squats, bench press, deadlifts, performed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with a weight that you find challenging at 5 to 8 repetitions, for anywhere from 3 to 5 sets. You could also incorporate lifts like overhead press, bent-over rows, and pull-ups.

On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and/or Sundays, you could do some cardio (or not) -- things like walking, running, sprinting, cycling. Alternatively, rest on those days.

If that's all you do, you'll get much stronger.

THIS RIGHT HERE IS SOME SOUND ADVICE! :drinker:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

In other words: stronglifts
  • TomKat428
    TomKat428 Posts: 30
    Options
    I really like 5x5 stronglifts because it tells you what starting weight to use, what exercises to do 3x/week, and there's a nifty, very user friendly app that you can use to track your workout. If you're a total beginner at lifting like me, I think you'll find this program most helpful.

For the exercises, you start out with just the barbell (45 lbs) and add 5 lbs each workout. 5 sets of 5 reps per set. Deadlifts are one set of 5 reps. Easy peasy.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

Yes, yes, yes.
    As for weight - you will need to start with what you can comfortably lift with a bit of a challenge. You'll learn the moves and then progress in weight. It's not a competition to lift heavier than anyone else - only yourself. Always progress with weight when the time is appropriate (form is good and you're ready). :)

Sound advice.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Yep. 5x5 is Stronglifts, 3x5 is starting strength and that's the only real difference.

NROL4W is a broader variety of exercises, which suits some people. I prefer the simplicity of "Pick heavy stuff up and put it down 5 times. Rest. Rinse. Repeat 3 or 5 times" but there are those who find that boring.

Come on over to the women's SL group - we're ladies who lift heavy but don't mind which programme you're actually doing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

In other words, what every high school football player has been doing for the last 70 years.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

In other words, what every high school football player has been doing for the last 70 years.

those are some old high schoolers brah.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

Yep: they include guys older than Mehdi's great-grandfather.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to save for later...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Yep: they include guys older than Mehdi's great-grandfather.

This^ 5x5 isnt Mehdis conception, he's just modified it and it a good self marketer.

Stronglifts is a good beginner programme, its how I started lifting heavy. Its easy to follow and is a good way to progress. Compound movements, upping the weight steadily.