Kettlebells over barbell? Really?

Options
Smuterella
Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
OK, so, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start proper barbell based weight training and, to give myself a good start, I'm trying to find a trainer to teach me the correct form for the basic compound lifts and also to help me until I feel confident with the equipment.

This, however, has been a bit of a struggle.

For some reason, I don't know whether it is because i'm female or just because they are the current "fad", but everyone i approach is telling me to use kettlebells instead.

Are they really that superior? If so why do I hardly ever see anyone using them on here or at the gym?

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    They could be trying to push kettle bell classes sometimes you have to pay for them.

Its not because your female, unless they give you a teeny weeny kettlebell.

But kettlebells are fun and most moves use your whole body.

Although I use kettlebells can be interchangeable with dumbbells alot of the time.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great for circuit training. I throw them into my routine quite often.

However if your primary focus is strength training you really want the barbell.

Find a trainer who was/is focused on strength training or a strength training coach.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love barbell lifting; but I also enjoy tossing in kettle bell workouts that increase my heart rate between sets of lifting. Kettlebells are sometimes more fun than just lifting weights.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    I dunno, I just think of them as things used in classes and as being a bit of a fad because of that. I can see the benefit of perhaps adding them later but I just really want to learn the basics - something I can use at any gym, most gyms here don't have a good selection of kbs, not the cheap gyms anyway.

I'll keep a-hunting!
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells give your entire body a workout. You are getting cardio and strength training at the same time,they are fun and you can do it at home with one simple piece of equipment. I'm quite in love with them.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are superior per se, but I use them everyday in addition to barbell training. They are great for finishers as they do have that strength + cardio component. Proper form is a must though as it is easy to hurt yourself with them, especially at heavier weights.
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebell training and ache in places I didn't know existed before hand! but I think it's just preference. I'd tell anyone to at least give it a go :-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Kettleworx is a great workout programme! X
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's a nice little article explaining the benefits of both here:
    http://news.menshealth.com/why-use-kettlebells/2012/02/29/

Bottom line: barbells are best for building strength, kettlebells are best for burning fat and increasing power endurance. They do also build strength, of course, but to a lesser degree.

For functional strength, such as being able to carry a new TV upstairs or demolish a wall with a sledgehammer, you can't go wrong combining both.
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    I use kettlebells but that is because my gym only has a smith machine and I don't want to be locked in a fixed position.

I feel using kettlebells has helped a lot and I get a great workout from them, I feel shattered after it!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i strength train and I don't use a barbell.

I do use free weights though.

do what you want, you'll find a way i'm sure.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    kettlebell workouts are INCREDIBLE. it improves hip drive, grip strength, tones all muscles in your body and improves cardiovascular endurance *all in one workout!* throw in some exercises tabata-style and you'll have a killer workout. i do KB/tabata workouts every saturday for 1hr and i'm WIPED after every workout.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you're seeing it as either/or. I make great use of both kettlebells and barbells in my workouts and have done each separately. They're both very good, and you can build explosive power, strength, and get a great workout from either or both. Do what you are interested in and like to do, that's what's best.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I just think of them as things used in classes and as being a bit of a fad because of that. I can see the benefit of perhaps adding them later but I just really want to learn the basics - something I can use at any gym, most gyms here don't have a good selection of kbs, not the cheap gyms anyway.

I'll keep a-hunting!

Oh right, kettlebells are that 300 year old "fad", haha. Seriously, I've never ever taken a KB class. I started using KBs at home, and still do that, but also use them every time I'm at the gym.

I'm you're not interested in KBs, do barbells! I hate to speak for everyone, but I would daresay you have our permission to exercise as you'd like to. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Smuterella
    Options
    I'm seeing it as either / or as that is how the various trainers I have spoken to have raised it with me so far. Which I personally find rather odd.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells but I use barbells for the majority of my strength training. I use kettlebells more for my conditioning and cardio.

Kettlebells are indeed a fad at the moment. The same as barefoot running, although over 4000000 years old, is a fad. Hula hooping is a fad, although I've no idea how long they've been around. As soon as uninformed people start using an approach purely due to it's popularity, it's a fad. Although it doesn't take anything away from the people already using the equipment effectively, it sure affects the industry, trainers, and the common knowledge of the equipment.
    I think it's great that more and more people have the confidence to pick up kettlebells and start training, I just wish I'd seen more than 2 out of the hundreds I've seen do it have a clue.

If someone is randomly advising you to use equipment that does not represent your goals or interests, then I too would be very suspicious. There is absolutely nothing magical about kettlebells.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    kettlebell workouts are INCREDIBLE. it improves hip drive, grip strength, tones all muscles in your body and improves cardiovascular endurance *all in one workout!* throw in some exercises tabata-style and you'll have a killer workout. i do KB/tabata workouts every saturday for 1hr and i'm WIPED after every workout.

How do you make a 4min workout last 1hr?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Kettleworx is a great workout programme! X

I disagree
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say learn proper form for compound moves first ..once you have them down you can build a total body work out plan that incorporates kettle ball work outs into it if you want..

I do not really use kettle balls, except when I do a little plyo or something like that..but that is just me...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Anyone telling you to use kettlebells instead of a barbell is an idiot.

/thread