Eating healthy is expensive...

Options

Replies

• Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Open heart surgery is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do spend more money on groceries eating healthy but I also save money now since I am not eating fast food 2-3 times a week and not going out for dinners much. Also, the food I buy lasts longer because I eat less of it than I used to.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    But, it doesn't have to be.
    Buy in bulk. I buy my pitas and sandwich thins at Costco. I freeze them. I buy frozen veggies and fruits. For protein, I buy beans. You can get the same amount of protein in 3oz of beans as a 3oz chicken. Same calories, but less expensive. Also, I buy chicken in bulk and I freeze them. The freezer can be your friend. Use it. There are so many ways to cut costs. It really doesn't have to be expensive
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    Options
    Open heart surgery is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive.

Having paid for 4 of these, I can tell you this is 100% true!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do spend a crap load on food each month but a lot of healthy foods are cheap.

Brown rice is under $1.00 / lb where I live, and dry beans are less than $2 a pound. 3 lb bunches of bananas are less than $1.40 at Costco (supplying a serving of fruit a day for a week). Apples can get pricey, as can clementines and salad greens. But you know what, I'm going to splurge and enjoy them anyway.

A LOT of healthy foods are expensive and food in general has gone up a lot, but that prepackaged frozen crap is still FAR more expensive per pound.

1, 12 oz bag of fried Banquet chicken nuggets = $7.99
    vs.
    1, 3 lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breast for 7.99 for four times the quantity and no trans fat added. Take 30 minutes to grill, bread or bake them to freeze in 100 calorie portions.

It's pretty cheap to make some specialty foods from scratch, too. I made this tasty low carb ketchup last night for about .60 cents a bottle, when the store was charging me over 3 bucks each. It took 5 minutes and no cooking whatsoever. I can make my favorite chocolate granola cereal with less sugar for about $1.50 a box, and flavor it however I want! If I wanted to buy the ingredients in bulk I could probably make it even cheaper!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It can be exhausting you're right - making 2-3 diff meals a day (veg/non veg) 2 different ways makes mass amount of dishes. My food processer is rarely ever not dirty, as when I'm done I use it again. Then of course entering the recipe on MFP (TWICE) once for me and once for hubby.

Our health has become my job and I totally give kudos to those of you that work and do this too.
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    You can either use your money to eat healthy, or spend it all on doctor bills. You choose.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Exactly! It is about time and not to mention all the dishes afterwards.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Know what else are expensive? Funerals.
    Healthy eating all the way!

This.^^^

Also, heart disease, Diabetes, Ostioperosis, etc.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is expensive if you have expensive tastes. I spend a pittance on healthy food.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also consider a backyard veggie garden if you live in a climate and space that allow it. It's exercise, fresh air, meditation, and organic/affordable produce all in one!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Very well said! There are times when I look at my grocery bill, and yes it has gone up a little bit, and cringe... but then I look at one of the old dresses I used to wear (I saved a couple of things to remind me how far I have come) and know that it is worth it!

As for time consuming... I normally spend a day during the weekend preparing things to help with the week. I have found that I can eliminate some of the extra steps during the week by doing this, and it gives less excuse to go out to eat. Although, now if we do go out to eat I make sure we go some place that has a low-calorie menu, or a place that I can look up the information on the web (it's nice that most restaraunts do this now). It really helps me to plan it all out :)
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually buy what fruits are on special offer, or aldi does the 50p fruit/veg. I planted a few apple trees, a couple of blueberries, raspberries and cherries. They take a few years to establish so last summer was the first that I got apples... but that was nice! tomatoes are amazing if you home grow them, I live in the north of scotland, so I need to have them grow against the shed inside a wee clear plastic tent... but they taste so much better than the ones from a shop! Lastly, my garden is not big, and i work full time, so I just choose things that grow quickly and easily... cucumbers, peppers, courgette, tomato, raspberries, rhubarb (that stuff is like weeds, you would have to try really hard to kill it!)
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Good post- planning is the key. I love going into Monday having a weeks worth of healthy lunches pre-made and ready to go. A little bit of work up front saves money and hassle dealing with traffic, lines, weather, etc. to get some lunch each day. Easy accurate logging too- when you make it yourself you know exactly what's in it and how much.
  • tanisha88
    tanisha88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find eating healthy expensive, but time is definately a massive factor aswell. I don't think i'm lazy as i work between 50-70hrs a week, as well as having to maintain my home. Always find it funny when people say about having a prep day on Sunday, would love to have the time to prepare meals for the whole week. But i'm struggling on : ) I'm assuming people commenting on doctors bills are from the US and don't have the fantastic NHS we have in the UK.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I find I'm spending about the same as I was when I was eating junk and going to restaurants a lot (I wasn't into fast food). Money that I previously spent on going out to eat and buying junk foods now goes into buying more fresh produce and meat. Yeah, I cook slightly more. But I was cooking before quite a bit, too. I like to cook, so I don't see it as a burden or waste of time.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The no time for cooking also reminds me of this

Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness - quote by Edward Stanley

You could substitute exercise with cooking/food preparation....

I think it is important to remember that most food manufacturers are only interesting in profit, and most healthy food is that we prepare from scratch.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I take full advantage of my Farmer's Market. I go every other Saturday and spend no more than $50. That gets me 4 tubs up unsalted nuts(almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, dried cranberry) Butternut and acorn squash. 5 tubs of Strawberries($5 for 5) 4 tubs of Blackberries, 4 tubs of blueberries, Spinach, field greens, sweet potatoes, melons, kiwi, lemons, apples, bananas(.29 cents a pound) carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, oats, granola, grapes...The list goes on, and I have yet to go over $50!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you only buy fresh fruit and veg every two weeks? I have to buy these every couple of days or they go out of date, which is probably why my shopping is normally so expensive!
  • round10
    round10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    did you buy your salad from harrods in london??? i can and often do eat for just £5.00 per day that includes breakfast lunch and dinner!