fav juice/smoothie recipes?

Options
da_sammit
da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
i love smoothies but i cant keep buying them in stores as there is SO much sugar in them! so i need to make my own.

so what are you fav recipes?

mine are banana, yogurt, honey and light milk.
apple, banana, spinach, yogurt and vanilla.
oats, vanilla, cinnamon, light milk and strawberry
strawbs, lemon juice, vanilla, ice and soda water (ok not really a juice but very nice!)
apple, orange, lemon, cinnamon

Replies

• lucipurrr
    Options
    I loveeeeeeee to add kale and spinach to my smoothies. I am not a huge fan of seedy fruits so I stick to peaches, mangos bananas. sometimes I will add raspberries or strawberries though! Also with ice =) If I have it i will add the protien powder but I have yet to find a great one I like.
  • sspscott
    sspscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started putting arugula in mine. I got the idea from this NYT article. They're really good! Who knew?! That and Greek yogurt are my two go-tos when it comes to smoothies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/health/nutrition/pear-and-arugula-smoothie-with-ginger-and-walnuts-recipes-for-health.html?_r=0

7955ec8921df969f7f0f98d15f920a42_zpsc52c4cf7.jpg
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
  • wizdim
    wizdim Posts: 18
    Options
    Homemade almond milk, raw cacao powder and agave nectar! yum!
  • da_sammit
    Options
    i found a really nice sounding one on pintrest today..

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 very ripe medium-sized banana
    3/4 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt (I used Oikos 0% fat Greek vanilla yogurt)
    1 tbsp honey
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup crushed ice
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeeeee to add kale and spinach to my smoothies. I am not a huge fan of seedy fruits so I stick to peaches, mangos bananas. sometimes I will add raspberries or strawberries though! Also with ice =) If I have it i will add the protien powder but I have yet to find a great one I like.

Try this, I love it. I put it in my green smoothie every morning. http://www.nutribiotic.com/organic-rice-protein-plain-3lb.html
  • wizdim
    Options
    Today I had........ fresh homemade almond milk, frozen cherries, vanilla paste and a lil bit of cranberry maple syrup (as I have no agave) it was amazing! But next time I won't use the maple syrup as it was too sweet.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love mixing 2 tbsp of pb2, a banana, half cup ice, and a cup of oat milk.
  • lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk, banana, strawberry, a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder, and ice.
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    banana, raspberries, vanilla protein powder, flaxseed, chia seeds, a splash of noni juice, and a bit of spinach
  • da_sammit
    Options
    i need to find a decent whey/protein powder. not really sure whats on the market and walking into those bulk building super muscle stores scares the heck out of me!
  • backtovee
    backtovee Posts: 13
    Options
    Steam your spinach before you put them in the blender! It helps with calcium absorption.
  • da_sammit
    Options
    it would probably taste better too hahaha. i dont like raw spinach much. my smoothies have a hint of green cause i cant stand the taste. blugh
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Today I had........ fresh homemade almond milk

maybe a silly question, but how do you make the milk?
  • tracy1727
    tracy1727 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I slice and freeze bananas to use instead of ice. I like the consistancy without ice better... I keep them sliced in freezer bag and they are ready to grab and throw in blender. My normal go to is:
    Frozen bananas/Peaches or Strawberries/1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed/1 tablespoon honey/1 cup of almond coconut milk.
  • wizdim
    Options
    Not silly at all! It's really simple...

Soak 1 cup of raw almonds in water overnight (or longer if poss, 24hours is good) in the fridge.
    Discard the water.
    Put almonds and 3 cups of fresh water in a blender and blend! At this stage you can add 3-4 fresh pitted dates for sweetness if you want, or vanilla. I don't add any flavours at this point.
    Once blended you need to strain it through cheese cloth (or a new clean pantyhose) and squeeze all of the moisture out of the almond pulp.
    There you have fresh almond milk! Will last 4-5 days in the fridge.

You can use the pulp in baking etc.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Oh, lovely, wizdim. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    A lot of these sound so yummy.

I usually do:
    - raspberries, milk, chocolate protein powder
    - strawberries, milk, vanilla protein powder
    - strawberries, peaches, milk, splash or two of cran-apple juice (put more fruit and less liquid to get a yummy sorbet!)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

@lucipurr.... I found Pure Protein Plus with Whey French Vanilla tastes great with soymilk(that's my preference) or use water....I add in 1/2 frozen banana, flax seed and PB2.....it's Totally Awesome! :smile: :happy:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, honey, and strawberries. Sounds weird but you can't taste the cottage cheese, it just makes it thick and adds lots of protein. Since I can't afford protein powder, I drink these instead when I'm low on protein.