Awesome NSV!

Options
jeepinwelch
jeepinwelch Posts: 33 Member
Last November I gave up a 30 year smoking habit for good. Being an asthmatic it was getting close to quit or die. In December I decided it was time to work on my whole health and try to heal years of stress and neglect. On December 27th I went to the gym for the first time in too many years and jumped in the lap pool. I was barely able to swim 10 lengths. I had to stop for a minute or 2 after each length to catch my breath. I know I looked like an absolute idiot but I just kept at it. Today I made it to 50 lengths, about 3/4 of a mile, with only a few very short breathers! I am now to the point where my muscles give out before my lungs. The weight isn't going down in leaps and bounds but I can feel that my health is going up. Today was a fantastic day!:glasses:

Replies

• pingalls
    pingalls Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! :flowerforyou: you should feel very proud of yourself.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I quit smoking in January and you inspire me!
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you! That is an amazing story and I bow down and clap loudly !!
  • jeepinwelch
    jeepinwelch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My next step is to try and wean myself off of the asthma meds. I started to then got a nasty chest cold and have to start over.
  • Catwoman1037
    Catwoman1037 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! And when you are having trouble breathing pushing thru and exercising anyway makes you a ROCKSTAR!
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done, it's been 6 years for me since I gave up...It's not that hard really, if you really want to do it, but keep up the good work, you won't be dissapointed!!!! And the out of breath when exercising does get better...
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    thats great, well done!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Great news!

Giving up smoking was the best thing I ever did (7yrs now) and it's only afterwards you realise how shot your lungs were and how bad it stinks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!