How much water to drink??

Options
I am sure this question must have been asked zillion times. I know one needs to drink minimum 8 glasses of water. I drink close to 5-6 liters of water every day. Earlier there was a time I hardly drank 1-2 liters but now its way more than that. I feel I am overdoing it. Not that I deliberately try to drink 4-5 liters but just that i feel thirsty most of the time and I keep drinking water. These days with summer setting in its all the more. Am I overdoing it? Any suggestions/advice plzz??

Replies

• MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    go to he doctor and do some exams to make sure it s not a health problem like sugar in blood!
  • sandip69
    sandip69 Posts: 20
    Options
    5-6 Litres is way,way too much and could make you extremely unwell.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to drink half your bodyweight in ounces I heard. I drink more than the average person because my medication makes me thirsty and retain water. You should ask your doctor Id you're concerned but you have to drink an obscene amount of water to over do it and it doesn't sound like you are.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty. The 8 glasses a day is a general guideline but all individuals are different and it includes water from all sources. We get a lot of water from food, especially soups and raw fruits and veggies.

It's possible to drink too much water, especially if you're exercising vigorously without replacing electrolytes or if you drink it faster than your kidneys can get rid of it.

Other than that though, it just seems like a waste of water to drink 4-5 liters of it. Your body probably doesn't need that much. If you're drinking that much just to slake your thirst then I'd definitely see a doctor about that.
  • jc4mee
    jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should start out with 8 glasses, then you add another for each 20 minutes of exercise and another glass for each caffeinated beverage you drink. If you are exercising a lot, then 5-6 liters does not sound like too much. Either way, if you feel that you are too thirsty it would probably be best to have it checked out by a doctor.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is another myth that just won't die. Like others have said, drink when you are thirsty. You can also monitor your urine; if it is dark like apple juice, you need to drink more water. Just be aware that certain foods and supplements will change the color of your urine independent of the level of body hydration.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is another myth that just won't die. Like others have said, drink when you are thirsty. You can also monitor your urine; if it is dark like apple juice, you need to drink more water. Just be aware that certain foods and supplements will change the color of your urine independent of the level of body hydration.

Ahaha! One time I made beet soup and OMG!!! That will turn your urine red. O_O

Another thing about urine output is that it is typical for a well-hydrated person to urinate every 2-4 hours and the urine should be clear to pale yellow. If you go much longer than 4 hours without urinating (other than during the night, of course) you could probably use a glass of water. If you end up in the bathroom every 20 minutes then hold off on the water for a bit. :)
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have got my blood sugar tested but it is fine. Just that I feel the need to drink water most of the time. During exercise it is easily 1-2 liters which I sweat out but other wise it is an additional 4 liters. What could be the side effects of drinking so much water or how does it affect??