Logging Olive Oil

Options
What's the best way to log cooking oils? I almost exclusively use olive oil when I cook almost anything but haven't logged it. I rarely measure, just use enough to coat the pan. This is something I should be adding to my food logs, correct? Measure first?

Replies

• LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Measure first, yes.
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    Yeah, I use it for cooking too, and I never thought about logging it. Going to start doing that.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't log olive oil when it's used just to lightly coat the bottom of a pan. I figure as long as my weight loss isn't stalling and I only use olive oil like this no more than a few times a week, then it doesn't matter.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I always log my oil as this can make or break a recipe in terms of calories. I try to aim for 300 cal per serving not matter what I make.

I use a bar glass for making cocktails with markings for tablespoon, teaspoon etc. I measure and use as needed.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use an olive oil spray and always log even tho it's just 1 cal per spray.I guess those calories have a nasty way of creeping up on you when you just aren't looking!!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    At 120 calories per tablespoon, I definitely log it. Enough to coat the pan is easily a tablespoon or two.

Probably not all of it ends up on my food but I'd rather err on the side of caution and I usually only use as much as I need so most of it does actually end up on or in the food I eat.

Since I'm tracking Macros as well as calories, the olive oil I use for cooking every once in a while helps me make sure I hit my fat macros.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I use an olive oil spray and always log even tho it's just 1 cal per spray.I guess those calories have a nasty way of creeping up on you when you just aren't looking!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I use canola oil spray, but that I don't log :ohwell: good point. I was only thinking in terms of pouring oils :bigsmile:
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options

Yeah, I used to use a spray too but it ruined my pans so I went back to straight up oil. I do think I have a hand pump mister around here somewhere.
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    At 120 calories per tablespoon, I definitely log it. Enough to coat the pan is easily a tablespoon or two.

Probably not all of it ends up on my food but I'd rather err on the side of caution and I usually only use as much as I need so most of it does actually end up on or in the food I eat.

Since I'm tracking Macros as well as calories, the olive oil I use for cooking every once in a while helps me make sure I hit my fat macros.

That's my hesitance to count it too - how much gets burned off and how much should I count? Yesterday on my first day I was almost 300 calories under and I don't want to do that... which is what lead to this question. If I measured and counted the oil I used when cooking I'm sure I'd hit that number.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Definitely count it. It's pure fat so the calories count up very quickly.

If you figure some of it will be left in the pan, then record maybe 75% of what you use.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of your pan, it can take several tablespoons to coat the bottom nicely.

I'm a firm believer in: 1) Fat isn't evil, 2) Nonstick pans are gross, 3) Fat carries flavor and vitamins.

So I cook with fat, mostly in cast-iron skillets. Every once in a while I measure before putting it in the skillet, to be sure my impression of "two tablespoons" has not changed over time, but from cooking a lot I know that I can generalize what I put into an empty pan as two tablespoons and I'm close enough (given that its goign to be divided over 4 or 6 servings most days).

But yeah, if you use the recipe calculator for everything that goes into a skillet, and you divide it by the number of servings in a skillet, even a tablespoon of oil can make a significant difference in the total calories for a serving.

Also, it affects your macros.

Also? If you use the spray, check the actual info on the spray. Most of them will give a calorie count "Per second." Almost nobody actually sprays the stupid stuff for only a second. Many people are putting significant amounts into their food and thinking its not enough to count!
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was taken aback reading that some of you use a tablespoon or more to coat the pan, but then realized I do a lot of separate cooking for just myself so my pans are only 8x8". I use between 1-2 teaspoons and half that ends up being mopped into the paper towel used for spreading the oil.