GIRLS ONLY - Monthly weight question.

Options
DISCLAIMER - This is not a question boys/men need to read but if you aren't queasy, feel free to read.

Ladies - Does anyone else have the problem of putting on 1-2 lbs. at "that time of the month?" Is this pretty much normal? I got on the scale this morning and was up 1.5 lbs. from yesterday and I know I didn't over eat, eat too much salt, or anything like that. Just wondering if other ladies have this problem during their cycle. Thanks.

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period since July 2011 (pregnancy and now breastfeeding), but it was normally for me to fluctuate 1-5 lbs when I did. It all came off around Day 3 or 4 of my cycle, often with extra if I'd been diligent about working out and not giving in to my junk food cravings!
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period since July 2011 (pregnancy and now breastfeeding), but it was normally for me to fluctuate 1-5 lbs when I did. It all came off around Day 3 or 4 of my cycle, often with extra if I'd been diligent about working out and not giving in to my junk food cravings!
    Thanks! That does make me feel better.
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah that is totally the norm for me every month like clock work I gain before I cramp! At first I got so frustrated and I would binge cause it made me so mad! I had worked so hard! THEN I realized what was happening...it seems to go back off as soon as my cycle is over. Bloating maybe? I don't know but yes definately same problem.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start (today or tomorrow) about 3 days ago my weight jumped up 2 pounds and has been sitting there since then. I am consistently averaging 2 lbs loss/week so I know this is artificial. I usually lose a lot more weight over the weeks following (like somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 lbs) because the water weight goes away. It all averages out.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens..I KNOW it's water weight but I still don't like seeing the number!!
    Happens when I ovulate also.
  • kittykinsqt
    kittykinsqt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky! I gain 5-6lbs when my lady friend comes knocking. I think its just water weight because it disappears within a couple days after. Avoiding salt helps with cramp too...(I know, not the problem or topic, I tend to toss odd random tidbits of information). :D
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My weight bounces like a rubber ball the week before my period. I pay the most attention to my post period weight and only use the other weekly weigh ins as a guideline to keep me in check. I don't worry about a gain of anything less than 5 pounds unless it doesn't come off within a week or so. I've found that upping my water intake does help keep the fluctuation at a minimum.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I can't get a reliable weight measurement thefriday before or the Friday after. S last month it looked like the scale hadn't budged for 3 weeks - then suddenly 4lb was gone! I don't think it all came off at once, it ws just hidining "below the water".

I keep an eye on the tape measure too - down a dress size since I started:drinker:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have a couple days before, during and after that add at least a pound every month... sometimes (like last month) it was 3 pounds. UGH!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's totally normal. My appetite also increases, and sometimes I give in, if my body is telling me "I'm hungry" then I have a snack. I just make sure I workout and if I go a little over I don't beat myself up. I know it will come back off when it's gone.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not only does my weight go up, I feel like I am starving and have a hard time keeping to the calories recommendations. It is not just you, its is all of us.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've put as much as 8 pounds on
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    for the ladies only yes it is normal I have a group i run that is called Dream Team weight loss support for women feel to free to join.we discuss this and share recipes and bloat tips and encourage each other
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yep, totally normal. :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i'll put on as much as 8 pounds. it all drops right off after, so why worry?
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I accidentally read this and now I feel queasy!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I never weigh within 2 days before or 3 days after starting. I put on up to 6 lb and half a pant size most months.
    I have found that drinking a lot more water than usual (and keeping away from the tempting salty snacks) really helps me to feel way less bloated, but still... for my sanity... I don't weigh in.
  • 1Mrsmcdilbert
    1Mrsmcdilbert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me it is like clockwork that I gain when I ovulate. I just try to up my water intake and not let it get me down because it usually comes off the week after with no issues.
  • piratetink
    piratetink Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too - for several days before I start, I'm almost always up 2-3 lbs and then by day 4, it's gone. It doesn't help either that during my premenstrual week, I am hungrier and crave salt. Water is helping and smaller more frequent meals.
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! This will help me keep my prospective!