Help Ive Hit A Plateau

Options
Ive hit a plateau and stopped losing weight for the past three weeks now. I havent gained any weight ive stayed the same. Ive tried lowering my calories, upping them, keeping them the same. upping my exercise lowering my exercise keeping it the same. eating different things. ughhhhh Ive lost 47 pounds in the last 5 months and now i just kinda hit a huge brick wall.. Does anyone know what I can do to keep losing weight? are there any good things to take for a detox or something..PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you

Replies

• hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    congrats on progress to-date ! How much more weight do you think you need to lose? What types of exercise do you do?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ive hit a plateau and stopped losing weight for the past three weeks now. I havent gained any weight ive stayed the same. Ive tried lowering my calories, upping them, keeping them the same. upping my exercise lowering my exercise keeping it the same. eating different things. ughhhhh Ive lost 47 pounds in the last 5 months and now i just kinda hit a huge brick wall.. Does anyone know what I can do to keep losing weight? are there any good things to take for a detox or something..PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you

If you've tried all of those things to get rid of your three week plateau, you haven't tried anything to fix it. Any time you change your calorie intake, you need to stick with it for a few weeks. If you're not sure which way to go (up or down in calories), I'd try calculating your TDEE and subtract 10-15% depending on how much you have left to lose. If that's more than what you've been eating, try increasing, if it's less, try decreasing. Stick with it for a few weeks (read 3-6 weeks). If that doesn't work try changing your calories the other direction.

Three weeks isn't really a plateau, it's a stall. It happens, and it likely is occurring because you've been losing weight so quickly. Try for a slow and steady weight loss, which is usually more like a pound a week, not the 2.5lbs you've been losing.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Three weeks is NOT a plateau. And you need to stick with a "change" in your routine for a few weeks before it will do anything.

and a BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!! on your weight loss so far! Job well done! The last pounds will come off if you just give it a little time.
  • tealwater81
    Options
    the same thing has happened to me for the past 4 weeks its driving me insane.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on your loss. What was your weight when you started if you don't mind answering...? 47lb in 5 months is a fairly large amount. It's taken me almost 10 months to lose 55lb. Firstly do you know your BMR and TDEE?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this website and eat -20% or less, whatever you are comfortable with. Your body is smart, you need to trick it. I am going through a mini plateau right now and I know how frustrating it can be, but since upping my calories again the scale is slowly moving down. Are you eating the same things over and over? Have you tried a cheat day?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just busted through a plateau that lasted for almost two months. I was technically still losing, but by a half a pound every ten days or so. You've come this far, don't turn around and go back now - The plateaus will fall away and you will look back on it as "the character building funny part"

I'm going to borrow a line for dory.. Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming...
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I total feel you on this. I've hovered around the same weight for a month now and its really bothering me. I've changed up my workout to include weights, so I'm hoping its just me building muscle. But its really hard when you are trying to loose 80 MORE lbs and the scale keeps coming up the same.

Stay positive. Drink lots of water!

Good luck!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau once and I decided to eat at maintenance for a week and then go back to my deficit and that seemed to do the trick. Congrats on your loss to date!
  • mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    excerisise a little longer and change up your meals completly if you keep eating basically the same meals try switching them keep at it with the increased excersise and you will eventually get through it because you will probably lose weight just little at a time that is not going to be noticable then you will start showing again thats what happened with me
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

You may not want to hear this, but if you've done ALL of this in the past 3 weeks (since I'm assuming while you were losing weight you didn't change anything) you haven't really given yourself time to see if any of those changes worked (or even if they were needed in the first place). My advice to you is to go back to what you were doing when you were losing weight comfortably and stick with that for 2 weeks. Then if you haven't lost weight make ONE change (like increase exercise or eat slightly less) and stick with it for two weeks, repeat as much as necessary. This isn't a fast process and results aren't immediate.
  • tealwater81
    Options
    How did you bust through the plateau this is going on two months for me now?
  • tealwater81
    Options
    Just wanted to add I am now doing Tabata High Intensity Intervals and I notice inches but my scale is really really stubborn!!
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add I am now doing Tabata High Intensity Intervals and I notice inches but my scale is really really stubborn!!

It may not be a plateau if you are still losing weight. Have you changed to Tabata HIIT recently? After you start a new exercise programme and the muscles are sore, the body protects the tissue by fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. I would not worry if you are losing inches.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Try sticking to one thing, if you try 5 different things in a three week period, your body isn't going to know what to do.