What supplements / vitiamins do you take?

Options
Everyday I have been taking the following:
- 3 fish oil tablets - cholesterol and heart
- 1000 mg vitamin C - immunity
- 1 vitamin B complex - metabolism
- 2 chromium picolinate pills - metabolism (left over from when I failed at Atkins)
- 1 multi-vitamin

Been thinking about adding Flax Seed oil - anything else I should take?

I have been on program for 2.5 months and lost just over 50 lbs with 44 more to go for my goal weight. I try to stay around 1200 calories a day but I am concerned that my diet is not getting me the vitamins I need. Thoghts?

Replies

• jsmith1352
    Options
    I would consider a probiotic or protein supplement. Usually when you keep calories down it seems protein is negatively affected. I use Advocare products: https://www.advocare.com/12061145. A lot of professional athletes use it because there are no banned substances. Also, their probiotic is recommended by Dr. Oz. Check them out! And good luck on continuing your progress!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you eat oatmeal? You can just buy some flax seed oil and put a bit into your oatmeal without even tasting it, you'll have a better chance of absorbing it that way versus a pill.

At my doctor's recommendation, I take:
    magnesium (important for bone health and vitamin D absorption, plus it helps me get better sleep if I take it before bed)
    Vitamin D3 (5000iu), I'm always deficient
    Iron, I struggle keeping my iron levels where they should be
    MegaRed krill oils. I HATE these, it's disgusting to me to ingest krill oil, but it's necessary.

Several doctors told me not to bother with my Centrum Women's vitamin. I had been taking it for years and had the same deficiencies. Two separate doctors told me that the vitamin levels in it were very low, and that my body wasn't able to break it all down to get the full benefit anyway. One recommended single vitamin tablets spread out throughout the day so that my body could absorb them better, another recommended Floradix (liquid vitamin). The floradix is great, expensive, but it works.

I've been debating adding in a vitamin B vitamin, but so far I haven't.

So, to sum it up, look for some liquid vitamins, your body can metabolize those better than a pill. Floradix is the one I like.
  • skybama
    skybama Posts: 5
    Options
    For the Krill oil - try freezing them. I do that with my fish oil and the taste going down is not bad and less aftertaste (burping) during the day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin
    Jack3D (creatine, DMAA, caffeine, etc.)
    Nitraflex (another pre work out supplement)
    Protein powder
    Just picked up BCAA's
    No need for omega 3 supplement because I eat tons of flax seeds
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan so B12 is a must.

After tracking my meals for a while I noticed that I always fell a little short on calcium, so I take that.

A long time ago I started taking cod liver oil for the Vit D and DHA/EPA and it helped me immensely. When I went vegan I switched over to D2 and algae DHA/EPA supplements.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 calories a day??? Definatley not nearly enough. 1200 will cause an increase in muscle loss as you will be running too high of a deficit.

You should get your vitamins and minerals from food. You would be surprised at how much you get from small amounts of fruits and veggies. You should not rely on pills to get nutrients into your body.

The only daily suppliment I take is a B50 vitamin as I do not get enough B vitamins from food. Otherwise, I only take any other vitamin if at the end of the day I am short. Far too often we consume too much vitamins and minerals and most people don't need a suppliement.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, omega 3, calcium, vitamin d, and a bunch of other supplements that support other functions of the body.

You can get some of your RDA for vitamins in your food however you can't get all of it from your foods. I've been taking supplements for years in addition to eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and have never had a problem. Not only that but I rarely get sick.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin pack
    Vitamin D
    Glucosamine
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Prenatal Vitamin (preparing my body for pregnancy when the hubby and I start trying in a few months)
    C4 - Pre-workout supp
    Whey Protein powder
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    None. Every time I've bought a bottle of something with the intention of taking it, I forget within a week and it just sits there. So I just don't bother any more. And I can't remember the last time I had anything more than a stuffy nose for a few days.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I only take a multivitamin. Sometimes vitamin C if I'm feeling a cold coming on, but that's it.