Healthy Foods that actualy aren't that healthy

Options
Agave Syrup- The agave tuber is processed in a chemical bath to break down the starches into a fructose syrup that contains MORE fructose than HFCS! Bleeeeeegh! When I found that out, I almost flipped. Agave syrup is touted as a healthy alternative to sugar in my recipes... I should have known better. Anything that says "syrup" in the title is NOT going to be healthy for you... well maybe real maple syrup, that has lots of natural iron.

On another note, my mom gave me some tubes of frozen ground turkey she wasn't going to use. I used one last night to make some "healthy" taco's.... I didn't think anything of it because ground turkey is "healthy" for you, right? Well, one tube contains 80g of fat! I watch my fat carefully, not to high, and not to low... but wow, 80g of fat! Not to mention, I am so used to "my" brand of ground turkey that, because of the extra fat, I blew my calories! I am sooooooooo mad at myself for not looking before I ate! However, your live you learn, and I take this as a reminder to LOOK carefully at the foods you are putting into your body!

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "Tubes of Turkey" may be a decent name for a band, but it is not appetizing as a food source.

It definitely pays to be diligent and do your own research. :)
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    Vitamin Water
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've never heard agave syrup touted as a healthy alternative. I've only heard it used as an ethical alternative for people who avoid honey and gmo corn.

I mean, as far as health goes, your body isn't going to notice a difference. Sugar is sugar.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use RAW agave NECTAR. not syrup. This is actually pretty good for you
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Dont eat the whole tube?
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    and yeah, groud turkey isn't all the great for you either. I dont eat meat anymore because of all the fat
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    artifical sugar and diet pop
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Dont eat the whole tube?

I cooked the whole thing for leftovers lol
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone that works in the meat department at our grocery store and she told me that some of the ground turkey is so high in fat is because sometimes they add the skin in order to help keep it moist. :sick:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No one individual food is inherently unhealthy. It's called Food..

food
    /fo͞od/
    Noun
    Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.

Main made junk can be bad.

No one food type is bad. To much of anything is.

Fat isn't bad
    Carbs are not bad
    Protein isn't bad

Setting macro-nutrient goals is best, but deviating once in a while isn't bad at all either.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    everything but water
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    "Tubes of Turkey" may be a decent name for a band, but it is not appetizing as a food source.

Awesome lol
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Fruit, apparently. :D
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone that works in the meat department at our grocery store and she told me that some of the ground turkey is so high in fat is because sometimes they add the skin in order to help keep it moist. :sick:

there is nothing wrong with fat
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Ground turkey and/or meat in general isn't bad for you...using lean cuts of any type of meat is just fine and provides an excellent source of protein
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anything can be unhealthy when moderation is not observed.
  • thinking_thinly
    Options
    everything but water

Well, it is possible to overdose on water and DIE! So... no, not water! ;p
  • thinking_thinly
    Options

there is nothing wrong with fat

There is nothing inherently wrong with fat, but because it is so calorie dense, I moderate my fat intake; which in turn helps me keep calories under control.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    On another note, my mom gave me some tubes of frozen ground turkey she wasn't going to use. I used one last night to make some "healthy" taco's.... I didn't think anything of it because ground turkey is "healthy" for you, right? Well, one tube contains 80g of fat! I watch my fat carefully, not to high, and not to low... but wow, 80g of fat! Not to mention, I am so used to "my" brand of ground turkey that, because of the extra fat, I blew my calories! I am sooooooooo mad at myself for not looking before I ate! However, your live you learn, and I take this as a reminder to LOOK carefully at the foods you are putting into your body!

A higher fat content in that ground turkey doesn't really make it unhealthy though...
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    right on...people don't get that you need fat in your diet....just not the stuff that comes from processed foods!