Dr Oz 3 Day Cleanse...anyone done this?

Options
I just started morning and I think this is going to be harder than I thought! I am not a fruit and vegetable person at all so I am having to learn to be REAL QUICK! I do want to eat better and eat less processed foods so I thought this would be a way to kick it off. It seems pretty safe to me because there are no chemicals involved, no pills other than omega 3 and a probiotic so I feel comfortable with it. I just hate the texture of a shake... well one that doesn't involve ice cream anyway. So if there are others out there that have tried this let me know any tips or tricks to choking these shakes down!

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'd advise against it, only because I have yet to read about any cleanse that wasn't some kind of scam. Most just take off water weight that quickly comes back. You don't "jump start" anything and often end up feeling more defeated afterwards.

There's no rush, you don't need to use magic shakes or powders, ESPECIALLY any that Dr. Oz is hawking. That guy pushes a new product every day for weight loss and most of them are junk.

Start instead by making some changes to your diet that you can live with and enjoy. I don't like vegetables much myself, like at all. But some steamed broccoli with lemon on it is pretty tasty, same with asparagus. And processed foods aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

Just watch your calories, that's what works best. Good luck to you.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr. Oz at the gym and I was laughing like it was a comedy, the guy is just on tv to sell products!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'd advise against it, only because I have yet to read about any cleanse that wasn't some kind of scam. Most just take off water weight that quickly comes back. You don't "jump start" anything and often end up feeling more defeated afterwards.

There's no rush, you don't need to use magic shakes or powders, ESPECIALLY any that Dr. Oz is hawking. That guy pushes a new product every day for weight loss and most of them are junk.

Start instead by making some changes to your diet that you can live with and enjoy. I don't like vegetables much myself, like at all. But some steamed broccoli with lemon on it is pretty tasty, same with asparagus. And processed foods aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

^I fully agree with this.

Also, it's great that you want to incorporate more nutritious food into your diet. That's a good thing. I don't understand why you would try to "kick it off" by doing something so extreme that you are already finding it difficult, that you're unlikely to sustain, and that's not meant to be long-term anyway. Why pay someone for the pleasure of drinking shakes you don't enjoy?

If you really want to eat more vegetables and eat less processed foods, my advice would be to make small changes: explore all the different fruits and vegetables out there, and different ways of cooking them. Try one or two new things a week. At the same time, look at the processed foods you're eating and see where you could make some changes there. Learn to cook home-made versions of your favourite ready-meals, or cut down on how often you eat fast foods, for example. If those are the changes you want to make, just make them. Drinking special shakes doesn't teach you anything, or help you create new habits. They are just a way for the diet industry (including Dr Oz) to make money off you.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    You are getting some very good advice here, Dr. Oz is a quack, plain and simple. Brett and Jester are exactly right.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr. Oz at the gym and I was laughing like it was a comedy, the guy is just on tv to sell products!

This x's 1089472
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^Agree with all of this.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    My question to the people that do these "cleanses"....are you without kidneys?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    no.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    GoldenCorral.jpg

better than any cleanse out there.
  • sarahxx68
    sarahxx68 Posts: 42
    Options
    At our work, collectively, one the statements we hate to hear is "Well, Dr. Oz said...."
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you want a quick cheap cleanse try this

day 1 drink 8 glasses of water
    day 2 drink 8 glasses of water
    day 3 drink 8 glasses of water
    day 4 drink 8 glasses of water
    day 5 as before and so on for the rest of your life

just taking cafeine out will cleanse your system - I used to be a total tea addict drinking 10-12 large mugs of very stron brewed tea every day

now most days i still take cefeine in and i drink 3 or 4 coffees - espresso with skimmed milk.

My thoughts are clearer and i feel much less hyped up and cleaner

Food - i eat more fresh fruit, there is always a bowl of fruit salad in the fridge, the treat for the good effort is a couple of desert spoons of creamy yoghurt, again when im hungry i grab a bowl of that ( comes in around 200calories per serve) and a lot better for me than sandwiches, biscuits or chocolates

It took me a long time to transition so be kind to yourself, take your time, keep your diary and it will come

Ignore the miracle fix treatments, if they were any good your doctor would tell you to take them.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a duck named Dr. Oz--quack quack quack
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are unnecessary. The body is not a car, it does not need the oil changed out. Your kidneys and waste disposal systems were specifically designed to cleanse themselves.
  • carolssiegel
    Options
    I am on my 3rd day. Normally I eat once a day about 3:oo and later in the evening i eat a lot of chocalate. I am now on my 3rd day and see that i have to tailor it to me. the 1st day/evening I was starving and ate about 5 crackers and 1/2 of the advocado. and in the nite i ate chocolate. The 2nd day, yesterday I was starving and ate crackers and more chocolate. Because I normally eat very little the 3x was too much for me. I nursed each drink for hrs...so I was drinking all day.
    Today I plan to do it differently. I will have a shake when i am hungry. I will skip the morning shake and have the other 2 ...much later in the day. I have not yet been able to control my craving for chocolate.
    I have not lost an ounce.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Read the comments on he Dr. Oz website from people who did it on how to blend the vegetables etc. I am thinking of trying it. It seems too healthy for my taste. I like fruit smoothies but have never tried blended together fruits and vegetables, and all these green smoothies.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-3-day-detox-cleanse-one-sheet
  • wrenbird
    wrenbird Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 2. Yesterday was hard. I absolutely hated the lunch smoothie. I will not try to force that down again. It has way too much in it. Today I am going to eat the celery, apple, and cucumber by themselves. I can eat the celery with almond butter, which is in smoothie #1 so it must be okay. The cucumber's going down with some olive oil and balsamic, just like the Greeks do. The dinner smoothie is not so "green". The breakfast one is very good.

I have fun with this sorta thing. I see it as a challenge I put myself thru. If I can stick with it, I feel like I've accomplished something and that fuels me to start and finish other things in life.

It's too bad so many people have such a bad attitude about Dr. Oz. I get a lot of great advice from him. Yes he promotes products. But he doesn't make any money off of them and rarely, if ever, mentions a particular brand of anything. He also promotes healthy eating and exercise.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    lololololol @ Taunto :laugh:
    Seriously though, do not listen to Dr. Oz my five year old could give you better advice than him.
  • kperez79
    kperez79 Posts: 10
    Options
    Is this the 3 day military diet???? If so I am on day 3. I did this once before and lost 9 lbs in 3 days. We shall see what the scale states tomorrow morning!