difference between low and high impact aerobics?

spuds_mom121301
spuds_mom121301 Posts: 7
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
This is going to sound very funny to most but I love working out to Richards Simmons - Sweatin' to the oldies!!!! The music is a plus and it is more motivating to me to see people of different shapes and sizes working out at the same pace. I have done this exercise religiously before and felt great as well as seen results. Richard calls it low impact but I usually do the whole video or as much as I can with two 3 lb. weights, sometimes I go as much as 5 lbs. I have also made up my own variations to alot of his moves adding in things I have seen on infomercials such as hip hop abs, etc. to really step up the work-out. I have also used slim in six and incorporate alot of that as well as some of my tae bo moves. Would doing these variations move me more towards the high impact aerobics? I don't really know the difference.

Replies

• crystal081
    crystal081 Posts: 12
    That doesn't sound funny at all. I used to love those videos. When i wouldn't go to a gym they were great to work out to. especially #2. (I'm absolutely no expert) but i think that by incorporating these other things it would move you closer to med-high impact. Good morning!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I think so.....because you are now working out with weights...you are incorporation stuff from some other high impact routines

So I deffinately think you have stepped things up a bit
  • YasminR
    YasminR Posts: 54 Member
    I don't know the workout DVD/video you're referring to but i still have an old Susan Powter Step DVD that i absolutely love. I like her quirky style, upbeat attitude and the range of sizes and people in the class with her. At least they're there for the whole class unlike the KettleWorx DVD which i have just purchased and used for the first time where no-one is there for the whole workout including Ryan Shannahan.

Good luck with the healthy eating programme and exercise. Hopefully we can spur each other on.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    so essentially the difference between low impact and high impact is about the same as a difference from a slow jog/fast walk and a hard run (almost a sprint), essentially if both your feet are coming up off the ground at the same time during the routine, then it's high impact.
  • Good after noon Crystal, I added ya as a friend thanks for accepting. I have #1 and #2 I tried them both yesterday, (it's been awhile)plus my tae bo and I am feeling it today. I did #2 with the 5 lb. weights and I had forgotten just how much it makes me sweat. I need to time the second workout I guessed it to be about 40 minutes but I will check today. And Yasmin I also added ya and thanks too. You are right about how they do the whole workout and I love seeing their results at the end of the tapes, especially on #2 that older man who has lost over 700.....WOW, you can tell he doesn't do the moves quite as fluently as some of the others but that is a major accomplishment. Glad to have you two as friends and thanks for all of the replys.
  • YasminR
    YasminR Posts: 54 Member
    How's it going? The pain from my kettle bell workout seems to have settled down finally but another workout scheduled for later today.

I wasn't able to log in my food this weekend as went to my Mum's and then was out demonstrating in London - i'm a women's rights campaigner amongst other things. have just had wonderful fresh raspberries and yogurt for lunch - that sweet tooth is driving me crazy.

weigh in tomorrow - fingers crossed.:happy:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    There's a difference between high impact and high intensity.

Essentially, in low impact aerobics, one foot stays on the floor at all times. In high impact both feet can leave the floor. At least that's always been the definition that I recognize. For instance, running is high impact while walking or elliptical would be low impact.

What you're talking about is intensity. Adding weights to a workout or adding more high energy moves makes it higher intensity. A high intensity workout would get your heart into the a higher rate. A high intensity workout will burn more calories because you're working harder.

You can have a high intensity/low impact workout.
This discussion has been closed.