Frustrated with the $%@* scale

Options
I am just so frustrated. I weighed myself this morning, admittedly 5 different times. First time said 277, next said 275, then 274, then 277.6 and again at 277.6, I am going to drive myself nuts if I keep weighing myself, I know. Im just so frustrated. Either when I weighed myself last sunday (276) it was wrong to begin with or I gained a lb this week. Either way I guess I need to be happy that I AM loosing, because I was 286 beginning of february.

Replies

• PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to switch up the batteries in your scale- I know that sometimes works for me making it more accurate. You are doing great, don't slow down or come to a halt just because your dumb scale isn't reading correctly or giving you the number that you want. I would suggest measuring yourself once a month so that you can see not only pounds lost but, inches gone!
    I started this journey at 283 pounds so, I know where you are coming from. I would love a friend request from you... It sounds like we are close in size.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple times were I was very close to throwing my scale out of the window cause the damn thing would never change. But now I mainly take measurements and I will weigh myself every 2-3 weeks. Hang in there, you've done a great job so far! Don't let the scale ruin your motivaton!
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i'm on a FFS week too my scale says i put on a pound - i know i have alot of water retention but it still doesn't help.

Have a' little talking to yourself' and carry on look for the little changes in your body shape either sitting or standing.

Look for the changes in your clothes 'do they feel a little looser?

It doesn't matter how small the change just remember YOU DID THAT no one else YOU!!!! and YOU can get to the goal that you want you just need to keep pushing through no matter what your body or scales is messing about with.

You can do it!!!!!!! WE can do it Stay strong hunny xxxx
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Give the scale a break for awhile. Go with the mirror and how your clothes fit.
  • ashm1427
    ashm1427 Posts: 23
    Options
    You all are absolutely right. Instead of every week, Ill do every two weeks. I can tell you all, I decided that on March 1st I was going to stairs at work which is 4 sets of stairs, up in the morining, up and down at least three times a day to use the bathroom, and down the in the evening, and I can tell my butt has taken on a new form even since march 1st. Im still out of breath and need to take a deep breath each time I get read for the next set of stairs, but this is deffinetly a big accomplishment. Thanks for the responses and support, and ideas. I still hate the damn scale this morning tho. haha
  • SisterSinBin
    Options
    You know, I weigh daily; however, it isn't to check the weight....it is to remind me to stay out of the snack cabinet or fridge. My scale is right by my fridge.
    Weight will flucuate on a daily, and hourly basis. Depends on the water you drink, the exercises you are doing, the clothes you are wearing, how you are feeling...yes, stress can play a part in weight....
    Just log your weight once a week. Make it the same time, same type of clothing. Don't be frustrated! Use the numbers as a reminder to keep them going down.....even minimally.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Sp put the scale away for a week or 3, keep at the eating better and exercise and see where you are then. If you can't handle the fluctuations which your body naturally has day to day, and even hour to hour, stay away from the darn thing.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    check batterys my scale does this sometimes i weigh myself a few times and go with the number that comes up the most lol then double check at my mums
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You do not need to weight yourself multiple times in one day. The human body does fluctuate up to 5 lbs throughout the day. Once a week or once month is just fine.
    If you weight yourself every day or multiple times a day, you're not gonna get good measurements, because your body fluctuates :flowerforyou:
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You know, I weigh daily; however, it isn't to check the weight....it is to remind me to stay out of the snack cabinet or fridge. My scale is right by my fridge.
    Weight will flucuate on a daily, and hourly basis. Depends on the water you drink, the exercises you are doing, the clothes you are wearing, how you are feeling...yes, stress can play a part in weight....
    Just log your weight once a week. Make it the same time, same type of clothing. Don't be frustrated! Use the numbers as a reminder to keep them going down.....even minimally.

I do the same thing! I know I am a bit obsessive/compulsive to weigh myself every day but it DOES help keep me on track. My weight fluctuates a pound every day but again, I am not trying to lose weight anymore, I just want to maintain. Without my daily check-in I am a bit fearful the weight will creep back on.

For the original poster... I'll bet the "noise" you see is water retention and more visible based on the time of day you weigh in. Don't let it get to you... one of these days you will see the scale drop and that will give you that shot of motivation to continue on in your quest.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost 4lbs my first week on mfp, then another 4lbs my second week, but after that nothing! I started measuring and had lost inches, but no pounds. I posted a rant very similar to this on my profile because the scale hadn't moved in 6 weeks. I decided to weigh this morning for the heck of it and I was down 1lb! I know it can be frustrating, but keep your head up!
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat so much over the number.

When measuring anything, you need to keep in mind #1 the variability of the measuring device (the scale in your case), #2 the variability in what is being measured, and #3 the accuracy of the measuring device. For sure, most scales nowadays use a battery so that could impact the measurement accuracy (#3) so replacing the battery is a good thing to check out. My gym has two identical scales (that use a mechanical spring measurement mechanism) and they differ by 14 lbs!!

As for #1, my scale can give different numbers depending on how I step on it or where I place my feet. I always weigh myself three times and take the two most similar numbers.

As for #2, you yourself have a different weight at different times of the day, depending on whether you have just drunk 2 glasses of water, of eaten a meal, or been to the bathroom, etc.

I'm sure you know all this stuff so don't beat yourself up.

In my case, the scales hardly budged over tthe last hree weeks, only down by 0.2 lb. However, in that same period, I lost enough in my waist that I can now fit into my 34 jeans. And believe me, that makes me feel a lot better than hitting a number on the scale.
  • ashm1427
    ashm1427 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you all for the info and support. I decided that I am only going to weigh myself on the first of every month otherwise ill have moments of hysteria like yesterday. I just need to keep eating right and working out. Period. Still Frustrating tho. haha.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can gain or lose 3 lb a day depending on what time I weigh myself. Just stick to the same time every day if possible.

It's harder when you start though. I hit a 2.5 week plateau after a month. It sucked. Now it's a month since that plateau started and I've lost 5 lb since and I totally expect to plateau again (I think it's linked to my cycle). But I know that as long as I eat within my goals and exercise I will keep losing. Also keep in mind that sometimes you lose some inches even though the scale doesn't show it.