Women as a police officer!

Options
Im currently working at mcdonalds, and im thinking of becoming a police officer, i have been thinking about it for the past 18 months...

but the thing is im only 19, is that considered too young?

Replies

• tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    My experience, they want you to be at least 21 by the time the academy starts
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    if you're 19, why not do one of the college courses that teaches you career training in criminal justice, that way you have a pretty nice resume
    http://www.uei.edu/programs/uei-college/criminal-justice

good luck
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Most law enforcement agencies, including the jails, want you to be at least 21 before they hire you. It has something to do with brain development.

It's a rewarding career to get into. I'm a corrections officer and I love it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Im currently working at mcdonalds, and im thinking of becoming a police officer, i have been thinking about it for the past 18 months...

In my department, you have to be 20 when you go through the academy and at least 21 to start working. I started when I was 25 which is after college and grad school were both finished.

Check your state's policies, they vary from place to place.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Most law enforcement agencies, including the jails, want you to be at least 21 before they hire you. It has something to do with brain development.

It's a rewarding career to get into. I'm a corrections officer and I love it.

Cant carry/buy a pistol till your 21. In the US. Fed law says you can carry at 18 but cant buy till 21. Most states say 21. So you cant be a cop till your 21.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Hey,

I too want to become a police officer. Sadly, I'm only 18 but I'm currently studying CJ that should help me understand law enforcement more. If you can you should check out your local police academy or colleges offering law enforcement/criminal justice courses.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Depends on your state. In mine, the Sheriff's Office can hire you to work at 18, but any local/city agencies, you have to be 21. If that's something you're looking to get into, start by volunteering to work in your county jail as an auxiliary Corrections Officer. That'll get your foot in the door, and you can go to the academy when you're old enough. Also, be very careful about the decisions you make in your private life. I've seen a lot of very good people getting passed up for Police Officer jobs, because they did something stupid 5 or even 10 years ago.
  • officernorton
    officernorton Posts: 38 Member
    Options

In my department, you have to be 20 when you go through the academy and at least 21 to start working. I started when I was 25 which is after college and grad school were both finished.

My department is the same! Police work is getting pretty competitive. Most departments, around here anyway, have hundreds of applicants to choose from. Most of those applicant have degrees and or prior military training. I would suggest you grab some college and work on physical fitness ( not saying you are not fit but a good police academy is brutal) then you will be more than desirable for any department ;). Good Luck- Police work ROCKS !
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If you move to Canada you have to be 18...that being said, I'm taking criminology right now and without some sort of degree it's becoming more and more unlikely that you'll get in to be a cop.
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Stay in the kitchen.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I know where I am, you practically have to be related to someone on the force in order to get a job. That said, a decent career path (especially to the state police) would be to join the military, and get into the MP there. That's a good leg up when they're making hiring decisions.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    my advice, join the military, do the 4 yrs and then go to the police academy.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

My department is the same! Police work is getting pretty competitive. Most departments, around here anyway, have hundreds of applicants to choose from. Most of those applicant have degrees and or prior military training. I would suggest you grab some college and work on physical fitness ( not saying you are not fit but a good police academy is brutal) then you will be more than desirable for any department ;). Good Luck- Police work ROCKS !

Agree with this. I work as a civilian in a law enforcement agency, and part of my job includes researching applicants and doing back ground checks.

My advice:
    1. Go to college - most agencies are requiring a degree. It doesn't have to be in Criminal Justice, but it should be from a reputable university. One of those online colleges you see advertised on MTV probably isn't going to cut it.
    2. Get an internship. This helps you network and get job experience.
    3. Work in a jail - as a jail officer, you'll get a good idea of what kind of people you can expect to work with. And it will help you learn how to handle stressful situations. You'll also get to know officers and other LE staff.
    4. Volunteer in your community. You'll need good references, and a great way to get them is by volunteering. I don't want to hear from your BFF that you're an awesome friend - I want to hear from the head of the local food pantry that you always show up on time and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
    5. You will have to be 21. However, very few officers are getting hired at that age. Most are closer to 25. Be prepared to spend several years working towards your goal.
    6. Get in shape. Google your state law enforcement academy and find out what the academy entrance and exit standards are. Make sure you can meet them. Be strong and quick. Work on that now, so you don't have to rush to do it later.
    7. Most of the time, you can't attend the academy unless you are hired or sponsored by an agency. This keeps the nutjobs out. Just an FYI.

Good luck!!
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just want to warn you that there are a LOT of men in the profession who feel this way, whether or not this guy was joking, be prepared for it if you decide that is a career choice for you. Also, if you haven't already, go to your local PD or SO and do some ride alongs, find out what it is about. It is a job where you're going to need to be able to think extremely quickly on your feet, prepare for heavy duty paperwork and know that you'll be in precarious situations all the time. Where I live, they'll hire just about anyone but they want you to do your time as a corrections officer before you can hit the road. (rural part of GA...lol) Good luck!
    Stay in the kitchen.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't think a college education is a requirement to be a cop around here, although it might to be a state trooper.

However, they get so many applications they just through out the ones without a college education. Becasue i guess they are automatically considered better qualified and its a means of cutting down on all the applications.

PS> A LOT of people go to school online these days. as long as the school is acreddited, there is no problem (unless your talking about law school, you can only sit for the bar in california if you go to law school online). as far as i know... there is no indication on your deploma or anything that you attended school online.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    See if you can get in with the police dispatch (911 call center) for now.
    It will expose you to police work, it will get you used to the "call signs" that are common, you can do ride alongs and you would probably make an easy transition.
  • Fat_Jimi
    Fat_Jimi Posts: 81
    Options
    If its what you really want to do, GO FOR IT

I'm a fire fighter in Australia and I have to say all people I know in the emergency sorvices think their job is the best becasue ....

All this sort of stuff is extreamly rewarding, the pay not so much, though
  • blackmagic25
    blackmagic25 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stay in the kitchen.
    haha