Running in Couch to 5K

Options
I am in week 4 of Couch to 5k and I am absolutely determined to finish it and run a 5K!! I am not a runner and the increase in running is really challenging to me. In my last session I ran two separate 5 minute intervals and my knees really started hurting. They are still sore today and I am supposed to get back on the treadmill again tonight. I don't want to injure myself but also don't want to give up. I really want to increase my endurance so that I can run. For those of you that run, are knee problems in the beginning normal and something I should just push through??

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i would back off and do some water training in a pool to prevent further damage. you're not used to it and you don't want the warranty of each knee expiring prematurely. Best of luck to you. Don't forget soaking them in epsom salts!
  • bombus
    bombus Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
    Any pain when running needs to be addressed seriously. Have you got appropriate shoes? Best to get the correct shoes for your gait, weight and pronation as you could exacerbate an injury otherwise.I would do something non weight bearing instead of your usual run and wait until your knee is better before completing your other runs.

I run regularly and am very wary of any injuries especially anything involving the knees, if you push through you could be doing lasting damage. Take a look at the Runners World website there is some good information on there for beginners which you may find useful.

Well done on your training, there really isn't anything quite like running once you get into it; it's so enjoyable.

Good luck and take care of those knees :smile:
  • KayeS
    KayeS Posts: 2
    Options
    Make sure your running every second day. On the off day do weights or something similar. Take your time or repeat weeks till your body becomes accustom to running. If you take your time and train carefully you'll get there without a break down. A break down will set you back really far. You can also warm up your knees by doing knee and hip circles before you run. Ice your knees after and take anti-inflammatorys if they are sore and don't push yourself beyond this week till the pain subsides or is manageable. Also make sure your shoes are really good quality and fit well. Good Luck!
  • scripscrap
    Options
    Hi,

I found that when I first started running i had the same issue. I found that it was because I had a lot of weakness in other muscle groups, such as my thighs and butt! I found running only twice a week and the other two days a week I would do weight training like squats and lunges to stregthen my muscles you also need to make sure you stretch (each stretch should be minimum of 20 seconds).

best exercises to help running are:
    lunges
    squats (variety is the key, one legged squats, squats on a bosu ball etc)
    jumping! (just get a step, step on to it, jump off it as high as you can, land as softly as you can with bent knees and then jump in the air again, then get back on the step!)
    also lie on your side, ankle raised and do little movements up to work your muscle at the side of the top of your thigh)

All of these should help your knee pain.

Also....make sure you have good trainers! I got terrible shin splints until I got fitted properly for them.

then I also bought running magazines which have good exervises in them to help stregthen everything so that your knees will stop hurting!

Hope that helps - don't give up!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I find that in addition to the wise advice above that I have to alter the surface that I am running on. The soft shoulder on the side of the road or on a dirt track may give your knees a little break. The treadmill is not exactly representative of what you get in a road run. The surface is always hard and the pounding can be excessive on the treadmill. Slight variations in walkways and surfaces in a "real run" give your joints alternative, rests and cushioning. That being said there is always speed walking which can be as fast as a slow run and is significantly less hard on your joints but gives a great work-out and calorie burn. ( not far off of full running) I have to alternate the running with speed walking. I too am doing the c25K, I love it! Hope those knees feel better soon, it can make you depressed when you are working so hard!