Going over by around 500 calories every day?

Options
mssgeni
mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
For the last two-three weeks I have hardly been working out and I've constantly been going over my calories by around 500. The scale hasn't moved too much but I do think I feel my clothes not fit as loosely, which might mean I'm losing muscle and gaining back the fat? Or could I just be seeing things? I think eating 500 calories extra would be my maintenance level but I'm not sure. My calorie limit is usually 1,200 calories a day.

Just wanted to see how much does over eating like that every day could ruin the diet or if I'm just stressing out too much.

Diet finally continues again today, btw.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    For the last two-three weeks I have hardly been working out and I've constantly been going over my calories by around 500. The scale hasn't moved too much but I do think I feel my clothes not fit as loosely, which might mean I'm losing muscle and gaining back the fat? Or could I just be seeing things? I think eating 500 calories extra would be my maintenance level but I'm not sure. My calorie limit is usually 1,200 calories a day.

Just wanted to see how much does over eating like that every day could ruin the diet or if I'm just stressing out too much.

Diet finally continues again today, btw.

you need to know your TDEE - I suspect that even with 500 extra you are still under your maintenence calories.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    I'd stop worrying about weight, and just focus on figure... muscle weighs more than fat, because it's denser, so if your clothes are looser, then count it as progress!

Sounds like you've gained muscle and lost fat - so good work!
  • mssgeni
    Options
    I wish boarderstu, I have been losing some weight but as of late even though the scale isn't moving I feel chunkier. :(

I googled random tdee calculators and they're all kind of giving me different numbers, but I guess the average is 1530 calories a day for maintenance level. Eeek. Damage control time...
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Maybe take a look at the foods your eating? As well as the calorie count?

You say you've hardly been working out... when working out/training, you naturally eat more, then when you stop, you're still eating more!

I've done that, been there.. top athletes even put on a bit of weight when they stop, as it's such a shock to the body..

Rather than going hungry, I'd probably suggest trying to get back into working out more? Maybe put yourself a little schedule together to keep to?
  • Papojijo
    Papojijo Posts: 20
    Options
    Mad respect to you.
    I cut at around 2400, can't imagine doing 1200
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Mad respect to you.

2,400 - I think with all my training, I'm around that... come July it's going up to 3,500-4,000-kcal a day!

But, yeh can't be easy!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am going to give you my honest opinion based on the 5 or 6 days I looked at in your diary, in addition to my expirience... I will be the first to tell you, that I do not ALWAYS make the best food choices.

Getting healthy is a life long struggle, and we can't always have perfect days. That being said, mindful and balanced choices are what you should be striving for each day. There were days in your log that if you had said "no" to just ONE item, you would have been under your calorie goal!

I noticed that you have Starbucks almost everyday. Why not make your own coffee with SF creamer and Splenda? It's a calorie and money saver!

Also, I personally feel that 1200 calories a day is not nearly enough for the average person. I had weight loss surgery and still eat at least 1400 calories a day! Have you thought about changing your goal from losing 2 pounds a week to 1 pound a week?

Slow and steady wins the race... You didn't put the weight on overnight, you won't lose it overnight either.

Keep your chin up! You'll get there!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Alternate day fasting. I find for me its easier then sticking to 1200 calories a day.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race... You didn't put the weight on overnight, you won't lose it overnight either.

Well put! I'd stay away from sweeteners though! Sugar is natural, so you're better off with sugar is anything, but perhaps try less of it!

But yeh, drop the slimfast for breakfast - have something with some complex carbs in - porridge, or most cereals! (I personally think slimfast etc.. is a con, and a waste of money!)

Drop the ice cream and cheesecakes, and trade them for something a bit healthier! And as for the coffee, buy a cafetier, some ground coffee and a flask. Make your own coffee - and save money too!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out how my body handles these cycles. I never ate regularly and 1200 is forcing me to do so. I'm eating back workout calories and still gaining a pound or two (water, fat? Who knows?) I'm having to learn over time what's going on. I hope you can figure it out and get back to us on this!

Before, I ate more fat, but went longer between meals. It will be interesting to see what happens when I want to switch back to maintenance!
  • boarderstu
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out how my body handles these cycles. I never ate regularly and 1200 is forcing me to do so. I'm eating back workout calories and still gaining a pound or two (water, fat? Who knows?) I'm having to learn over time what's going on. I hope you can figure it out and get back to us on this!

Before, I ate more fat, but went longer between meals. It will be interesting to see what happens when I want to switch back to maintenance!

And excellent book on nutrition I'm reading - spells it ALL out!

www.amazon.com/Chris-Carmichaels-Food-Fitness-Carmichael/dp/0425202550

Get it second hand!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You're probably still under your maintenance even 1700/day, or at least you would be if you were still training. Don't stress about it. Get back on the horse, keep training, and watch the results come. Also 1200 is very low. If you haven't read (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013), I recommend that you do.

2,400 - I think with all my training, I'm around that... come July it's going up to 3,500-4,000-kcal a day!

Same... I'm cutting on 2500 now and should hit my goal weight around July, then I'm on that clean bulk time.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    It looks more to be the quality of the food, oppose to being under/over :) Should be easy to rectify!
    You're probably still under your maintenance even 1700/day, or at least you would be if you were still training. Don't stress about it. Get back on the horse, keep training, and watch the results come. Also 1200 is very low. If you haven't read (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013), I recommend that you do.

Same... I'm cutting on 2500 now and should hit my goal weight around July, then I'm on that clean bulk time.
  • mssgeni
    Options
    That's exactly what happened, haha! I was so used to eating back the calories that I burnt off, but even though I stopped going to the gym my eating habits aren't changing... I just keep eating more and more. Not to mention I have a obviously horrible sweet tooth lately! GAHH eating chocolatey sweet things must stop. And no more cheesecakes, lol... though it was quite delicious. :)

Regarding the slim fasts... ahh! I'm usually not a breakfast person and I get nauseous if I try to eat something early in the morning so I just chug one of those instead and I'm fine until lunch time. Starbucks is another guilty pleasure. :[ I drink plenty of regular coffee with splenda too though, don't you worry...

Thank you for the replies, guys. ♥ I didn't think of looking back at my old entries but I can definetively see why I got to this point now. >__>
  • boarderstu
    Options
    If you want your sugar fix, maybe try something different? Fruit will have the same simple carbs (quick burning) as the sweets you eat.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Overnight, your glycogen stores (maybe that one) in your liver will be depleted, so you need to replenish them with some complex carbs - maybe start with a small breakie, and build it into your routine?

You will defiantly notice a difference! I think, and don't quote me on this, but it might start your metabolism - but that could be BS...
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Mad respect to you.

But, yeh can't be easy!
    1200 net is extremely easy, if you are sensible about it.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    I guess it all depends what you're used to!

But considering the recommended (here in the UK) for a woman is 2,000, it's 40% off that! essentially starving ones-self! I'm no nutritionist - but it doesn't sound healthy!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends what you're used to!

But considering the recommended (here in the UK) for a woman is 2,000, it's 40% off that! essentially starving ones-self! I'm no nutritionist - but it doesn't sound healthy!
    :laugh: trust me, I'm not starving.

Will power = win.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The scale hasn't moved too much but I do think I feel my clothes not fit as loosely, which might mean I'm losing muscle and gaining back the fat?

If your clothes are fitting tighter it does mean that you are adding something, and it could be some water retention or some fat gain. I have always been told that 10 lbs is a size, so a little gain you will notice it in your clothing. I personally find it is more like 20 lbs is a size, but I am a guy so that might be different.

Glad you are getting back on plan before it gets out of control.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Mad respect to you.

But, yeh can't be easy!

4000 cals here without eating back :laugh: :wink:

In reality for a healthy young woman 1700-1800 cals would be fine in a lot of instances.

Unless she sits around and does very little or is about 4 foot tall.