Soda addiction

Options
I have a soda addiction. More specifically, Pepsi.

It's so hard to get off the stuff. It's like a strong addictive drug that keeps me hooked. If I don't get one each day, I turn into one of those poor people with drug addiction peoblems in the tv show Intervention on A&E. When I crave a pepsi and have none at home, I start having serious withdrawl symptoms. I get anxious, stressed and my mood changes into a snappy frustrated person. Even if it's 2am, I go out driving around to find a 24h store to get my pepsi fix. It's really really hard to get off the stuff. I tried before, was successful after a few days, but then comes a familly meeting at a restaurant and the sight of pepsi around me makes me crack and i give up so I buy a pepsi and the addiction starts all over again.

Does anyone feel my pain?

Btw, I dont like diet sodas, I dont like the taste of aspertame...

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I had to give it up cold turkey, I've been clean for 10 months now and can totally identify with the symptoms you had, the good news is if you want to quit you can but that first week is going to suck and you'll still have cravings for a month. After that it gets easy but one drink and you'll be starting all over again.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't genuinely sympathize with a soda addiction, that sucks, but it is just an object and you are an intelligent, independent individual. You are stronger than a mere can of sugar and water.

Check out the show Freaky Eaters, it was on A&E or something similar and now it is available on Netflix. They cover specifically food addictions, and they have an episode where they work with a young lady with her soda addiction. It may give you some strategies you can apply at home.

Good luck!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's the caffeine you are craving. Swap your pepsie out for tea or coffee, and see how you do. Or, you'll have to try to fit it in your macros (which can be hard to do).
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a soda addiction. More specifically, Pepsi.

It's so hard to get off the stuff. It's like a strong addictive drug that keeps me hooked. If I don't get one each day, I turn into one of those poor people with drug addiction peoblems in the tv show Intervention on A&E. When I crave a pepsi and have none at home, I start having serious withdrawl symptoms. I get anxious, stressed and my mood changes into a snappy frustrated person. Even if it's 2am, I go out driving around to find a 24h store to get my pepsi fix. It's really really hard to get off the stuff. I tried before, was successful after a few days, but then comes a familly meeting at a restaurant and the sight of pepsi around me makes me crack and i give up so I buy a pepsi and the addiction starts all over again.

Does anyone feel my pain?

Btw, I dont like diet sodas, I dont like the taste of aspertame...

I too am addicted to pop. Started when I went on a strict diet plan and was able to have as much of it as I wanted. I tried to kick it too. never succeeded. So, I allow myself one a day. And don't BRING ANY to work with me so I am forced to drink water. I do however like diet pepsi, so thats what I drink. Its a tough one!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A can of Pepsi is 157 calories. Unless you're diabetic, and presuming you're active, go ahead. But make sure you count it.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, I love an ice cold coke! Just go for the small size instead of the biggie. Yes, it's terrible, blah blah blah. But you know what, I'm all about what I really love in moderation. That's just me:)

I also find having a big cup of ice water helps me. It's the act of picking the cup up and sipping that is the stress relief part when I am working. Or relieving boredom at a stop light. Figure out if it's the soda or the mere act of drinking something :)

Enjoy the little things,

lulu
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fellow addict here. I have somewhat kicked the habit with caffeine pills and baby steps.
    It is HARD! and gong cold turkey is painful physically and mentally.
    What about cutting 1/4 of it for the first few days, then 1/2 for a few days, then 3/4, then all?
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was horribly addicted to Coke Zero, while it's zero calories I knew the chemicals in it were not the best for me. I went cold turkey because cutting down just wasn't working. I'd drink 6-8 cans easily in a day! The first 3 days were HORRIBLE! I was moody, and anxious, I had headaches, it was really bad. After day 3 it got easier, and after 2 weeks I still wanted one, but the addiction part was gone.

If it's important to you to quit, I'd try cold turkey too. Know that your first couple days will be rough, but it'll get better. I had huge amounts of coffee and various teas available so that I wasn't kicking caffeine and soda at the same time. I also got carbonated water, it's pretty gross, but it did help the first couple days when I really missed a fizzy drink.

Good luck!
  • oex0duso
    oex0duso Posts: 27
    Options
    I to had an addiction to Pepsi as well. I just recently gave it up about a month ago, having a glass here and there along the way. I went from drinking 1-2 2 liters of it per day. It was bad. When I went off, I had a migrane for about a week. It went away and all is fine with me now only drinking 98% water, the rest, milk and Orange Juice (breakfast).
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i know its easier said than done but if you can get through the withdrawal, the cravings will be less and less, drink lots of water and cranberry juice.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I told myself I could only drink diet if I wanted it that bad. But in the end it was like quitting smoking, you are addicted, therefor you will have to suffer the feelings of what an addicts feels when they quit. Use that as a reminder that NOTHING should be in control of you or your body. That is ultimately what worked for me. I now have an occasional diet when I want a carbonated something, but hate what's in i it and hate the taste, so that makes me think of all the chemicals and I end up throwing at least half away lol.
  • thisisgreatsmile
    thisisgreatsmile Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you...I am a Pepsi addict myself - I know I have to give it up but I am having a very hard time with it!! :sad:
  • helmsara
    helmsara Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mine is Dr. Pepper. I tried quitting cold turkey, but I got some MASSIVE headaches, so I've been slowly cutting back over the last month or two. I used to drink 40 oz. or so a day, but I'm down to 20 oz. every couple of days. Plus, I've added in WAY more water.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Cherry coke here. I replaced it with unsweetened iced tea for the caffeine, and slowly stepped down the iced tea once I was over the soda cravings.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I definately used to be a soda addict. My favorites were Dr. Pepper and Root Beer, although I like other kinds as well. I went on a 1 month cold turkey challenge with a coworker and after the first week it really wasn't that hard. Now I'll buy a 20 oz occasionally if I really want one and the calories are in my budget and usually I end up leaving the last couple inches in the bottle and get tired of it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try switching to pepsi next or pepsi max. Meh I like them. I don't like diet pepsi as they only use aspertame. The way I see it. I am going to drink a coke. Shoot me, whatever, but I'm going to try and not get so many calories for it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just stop drinking them.......
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    Soda has been, hands down, the hardest thing for me to let go of. It is an addiction, it is hard and it does feel good to kick it.

OP, know this is a shared struggle and that you are not alone. Best of luck! You can do it. :)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I gave it up cold turkey as well for like 3-4 months. By the time I tried having it again, I found it to be way too sweet. If you really want to change your lifestyle, it's not really going to be easy when you first start out.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was the same way with diet coke. I have one or two a week now. I used to have a 12pack or so a day and possibly even more. I drink water and unsweetened black tea these days.