headache after exercising!

Options
I keep getting really bad headaches after exercising - i drank a 750ml bottle whilst in the gym and a glass of water later on.

I do 35-45 mins cardio (on tredmill, stair machine and cross trainer) and then do some weight exercises.

I'm not sure why im getting these headaches, really puts me off going!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Emily

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is dehydration or something to do with the amount of oxygen u are getting in. Maybe not breathing correctly?? Not for sure just a couple ideas
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I just made a similar post about this yesterday except I also get experience with the headaches. I made a Dr.'s appt. but won't be seen for a couple of weeks so I've been taking it easy this week. If you want to see the responses I got you can search the thread under "Diet and weight loss help" and it's titled, " Is this normal"
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Could be hydration, could be blood sugar. Either way, focus on fueling for your workout throughout the day not just while you're at the gym. The water you drink during your workout is to replenish, if you start out behind, it is very hard to catch up.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Had your blood pressure checked?
  • catrynjenkins
    catrynjenkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get headaches too when I haven't drunk enough water throughout the day - if I am going to work out I make sure I drink at least 8 half pint glasses throughout the day and sip water while working out followed by another couple of glasses after the session and that seems to keep the brain ache away... although I find I am then peeing like a racehorse!!!!
  • smudgr74
    smudgr74 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sounds like dehydration to me, I suggest drinking plenty of water (at least 1 Litre)an hour before you go to the gym, drink plenty while exercising and plenty afterwards.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Try an electrolyte beverage. Not necessarily gaterade, but you can find low sugar alternatives at your local health market. Vitamin Water would be good.

Also, are you eating quality food? Lots of vegetable, fruit, and protein? If you're already doing these things, you may just be prone to headaches, so stress or your cycle could bring it on. I'm extremely headache prone, and even the slightest change in barometric pressure does it for me. Allergy season is starting, so that could be another explanation ...

Hope that helps!
  • emilyedmonds2017
    emilyedmonds2017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok Thanks, I shall try upping my water intake before the gym session. My blood pressure is fine.

I think im gonna try a sports drink too.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was on the treadmill for the first time in ages last night & the same thing happened to me when I was finished. I thought blood pressure or dehydration too. It really does put you off working out though doesn't it? I still had a touch of my headache this morning & don't want to work out to make it worse. :(
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    drink water!!! lots of it!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a known migraine trigger. But the thing with migraine triggers is that you need an accumulation of them before you get a headache. So you might want to avoid exercise on a humid day where you're sleep deprived or stressed, or if you were exposed to a lot of bright light or noise earlier. You might want to avoid eating common migraine triggers before exercising also. And of course stay hydrated!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need more water. I go to the gym in the afternoon so I have at least 5/6 cups of water prior to that. And if you eat some fruit or somehting like an hour before you go to the gym? I would try that!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ok Thanks, I shall try upping my water intake before the gym session. My blood pressure is fine.

I think im gonna try a sports drink too.

Wouldnt recommend a sports drink. They are very high in sugar.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get really nauseous and sickly after weight lifting. Never after cardio though.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed about myself over the last few years of exercising is that I will give myself a headache when I don't breathe correctly. I don't have a problem during cardio, but I was in the habit of holding my breath when I'd do sets on weights, and especially when I would do pushups. I try to be aware of that now.

The other thing is running outside - or even walking - I am allergic to mold so if its a bad day for allergens I end up with a bad headache when I am done.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to get headaches and feel sluggish after leaving the gym. I learned that I wasn't eating enough. Try looking at you caloric intake vs the amount of calories you're burning.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get really nauseous and sickly after weight lifting. Never after cardio though.

Deep breathing is key when lifting weights. Not only will it help with eliminating the nausea but it will also add momentum to your lifting.
  • rickylurve
    Options
    How long have you been exercsing for? Is it a new plan you've started? And has your diet changed recently? It could be a drop in calories or carbohydrates causing them? If anything like this has changed recently this could be a cause of the headaches. They will get better, but if it's making you thinking of stopping exercising, you may need to amend your diet and gradually change it. Hope they go soon, and don't let it get you down too much!!
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a known migraine trigger. But the thing with migraine triggers is that you need an accumulation of them before you get a headache. So you might want to avoid exercise on a humid day where you're sleep deprived or stressed, or if you were exposed to a lot of bright light or noise earlier. You might want to avoid eating common migraine triggers before exercising also. And of course stay hydrated!

I've found certain foods to be triggers for me. Yogurt being one of them .. I've switched from greek yogurt to cottage cheese. There is a book I read a few years ago, that helped to determine what my food triggers were (in addition to air pressure change, an sleep variations). I think it was call 'Heal your headache'.

If you can eliminate or minimize some of your other triggers, exercise may begin to help and not hurt.
  • strobiek
    Options
    I have a similar problem....extreme headaches and "sluggishness" after working out. I drink 100 oz of water a day, I do not drink soda's, smoke, or drink alcohol. I have tried eating before a workout (banana, protein bar, etc). I have tried eating after a workout. I have tried Gatorade, Power Aide, and apple/pineapple juices as well; each before, during or after the workout. Yet, I still get the headaches. I love step aerobics, TRX, and running so I need to find a solution.