Soda addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drank a lot of coke for over 30 years. About 3-4 cans a day of regular coke a day. I love the carbonation and the taste. This was in addition to 1 cup of coffee each morning. I kicked the coke habit 6 weeks ago and now can be in the same room as coke and not feel a craving. I did replace it with 0 calorie Sparkling Ice vitamin water which has splenda. I like splenda a whole lot better than aspartame. I drink a glass a day, usually with lunch, and it has certainly helped with kicking the coke habit.
  • Denise048
    Denise048 Posts: 12
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pepsi. It is my favorite drink. I feel the same way you do.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was just like you except it was Coke for me. At first I just tried to cut down and I got myself down to 1 can a day but then I would creep back up to 3 cans a day. Finally, I ordered some loose leaf tea on line and once I had that I stopped drinking Coke cold turkey. It has now been 7 months since I had a soda and I feel great. The tea I ordered was Boulder Breakfast from the Tea Spot and it has been a great replacement for my soda. I also do not like coffee so my Coke was my only source of caffeine and I knew I had to replace that. I no longer drink anything with sugar or artificial sweeteners of any kind; I just drink different teas and water. My weight loss in the beginning was really fast but now I have slowed down, which is still fine by me.

I cannot lie, I still miss my soda sometimes but it having a good healthy replacement drink(s) that you like will really help! So I suggest find that drink and then just give up your Pepsi for good. Good luck to you!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You have a sugar addiction. Soda is just the delivery vehicle.

Quit cold turkey. It will suck for a few days then get quickly better.
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well...

I really like Coca-Cola (Coke for americans, right?). I drank almost 2 liters per day sometimes.

But when I want to get back to my ideal weight, I buy the smallerst of coke recipients, and buy lots of carbonated water (Plain water + bubbles and some sodium).

When I crave, a drink a can or so (200ml) of coke. But normally I drink like, 500ml of carbonated water (the same amount of coke I would drink).

When I feel that I reaaaly want Coke, drink lots os water THEN coke. As I would be almost full, I drink less sugarful sodas.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do like to drink Coca Cola. Have a can during lunch and every once in a while I'll have another one at 3 or 4pm. That time of day REALLY is a drag for me and I need something.
  • paigealexandrareid
    Options
    i completely understand! mine was Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper. I cut cold turkey, then went to green tea. it was still hard because i loved the "fizz" but now that i don't crave it, as much, it has become so much easier! good luck!!!
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Last week I started drinking my Emergen-C vitamin drinks with my lunch instead of the usual Diet Coke. The fizz helps with the carbonation craving, and if I need more caffeine in the afternoon, I'll have green tea with honey instead.

I also have a SodaStream machine at home, and the diet flavors do not have aspertame! Worth the investment if you're not ready to give it up completely. I usually make a 1 liter of Diet Cola on Saturday and make it last all weekend. A big change from the days when I'd drink 3-4 cans of Dr. Pepper per day!
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I too have a Pepsi problem and seriously have felt like they need to have a rehab for people like me. I am just like you. I try to quit and don't buy it at the store and then later in the day I make up a reason to go to the store so I can sneak one. I'll buy a bottle and know my husband will disapprove, so I will hide it under the vegetables in the veggie drawer of the fridge!! It is totally ridiculous. And then I quit and ended up with a bad flavored latte habit in it's place!

caffeine + sugar.... yikes!

I have been able to quit for periods of time. I didn't drink any pop at all when I was pregnant with my kids, and have been able to go months at a time without it.

The only thing that works for me is cold turkey. People who suggest cutting down and having 1 can a day or whatever are well meaning, but that has not worked for me. Same with switching to diet. The only thing I have found that works is cutting it out entirely and also cutting out processed sugars in foods, and drinking lots of water and decaffeinated teas. Then I don't get cravings for it very often.

Good luck to you! It is rough stuff. Imagine what it is doing to your body chemistry, brain, body or whatever that it has such a strong hold on you. Scary! (That helps me too) =)
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    I have just posted a topic "six days in" my Achilles heels is Pepsi max. I was like you if I didn't have any I would panic. At Christmas when the shops here are shut for one day I would by 12 litres just in case I ran out. I basically went cold turkey and I have to be honest I am still getting cravings but I will get there and you can to
    Paula x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to as well. Loved Pepsi. I switched to seltzer with a splash of juice instead. It wasn't too hard to switch honestly (and I had tea for the caffeine). Pepsi and Coke were always kinda too sweet for me though.