6lbs of water retention? Really?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I can easily fluctuate 5 Lbs day to day, and I'm a guy.....

I don't really concern myself with water weight, that's not what I'm trying to lose.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I drank beer yesterday and should have known better! I gained 6 pounds in a day. I like what the guy said just below you. Don't weigh yourself so much... Something I'm going to do because it's completely frustrating and the scale is not our friend. :)
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel your pain.

About a month ago between a lot of traveling, lack of sleep, quick foods, and pms I had a 8lbs water gain for a few days. It does freak you out when you work so hard for the numbers to go down and see that kind of jump.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hm let's see if there are 16 ounces in a pound and dasani makes 16.9 water bottles that look like this.

9990000062271911__36709.jpg

that's a little over six lbs right? does it seem like that much can go on a woman in water weight in a couple of days due to TOM? IDK. what do you think? never been good at depth perception kind of stuff. I guess if one bottles contents were on each arm and leg that's 4 and then one on front torso and one on back? maybe?
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hm let's see if there are 16 ounces in a pound and dasani makes 16.9 water bottles that look like this.

that's a little over six lbs right? does it seem like that much can go on a woman in water weight in a couple of days due to TOM? IDK. what do you think? never been good at depth perception kind of stuff. I guess if one bottles contents were on each arm and leg that's 4 and then one on front torso and one on back? maybe?

So...what you're trying to say is that it's not possible to retain 6 lbs of water?
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself right before a 1.5 hour workout.. sweat like crazy, and weigh yourself afterwards.. its not uncommon to lose 4 -5 pounds by sweating.. so yeah.. retaining 6,7,8 even 10 pounds over a weekend of high sodium eating is easy. Drink quite a bit..clean up your diet..and get your sweat on.. itll come off in a couple of days. :)
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    Thanks. I have a workout planned for tonight and I'm trying to keep my sodium intake low for the next few days.
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    So glad I found this post. My weight can change by 2-3 lbs daily. Even when doing everything right. I'm learning to stay away from the scale.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

So...what you're trying to say is that it's not possible to retain 6 lbs of water?

I'm not really a "trying to say" kind of person. what i'm saying is that I truly don't know. i just got a visual to try to help me see it and posted it to maybe help you try to possibly see it. possibly the water being spread out it could hide all over one's body like that? don't you think? i don't know. it's a hard one. i know i've heard of people fluctuating up to 5 lbs, so why not 6?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty little 5 pound spike every 28 days. If I ever need to know the first day of my last period, I'll just open the MFP app on my phone.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I was 115.4 on Wen and 120.8 on Friday morning. I didn't even come close to eating 5lbs of food so I know for a fact that it is water weight. If I can fluctuate that much at my weight I am sure 6lbs is entirely possible. Its probably close to TOM for you too so I wouldn't worry about it. I know all of mine will be gone in a few days and yours probably will be too.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    EVERY month like right now I am 6.5 pounds heavier. Just wait until u are off one full day and then step on the scale. U may even surprise yourself with an extra loss. When I am on it, I bump my cardio to 90 minutes instead of the regular 60 minutes for that hopeful extra loss.....
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the facination people have with weighing themselves so much. I do mine weekly and that is only on account of my trainer. I know I'm losing, I can SEE it. but why everyday or even everyother day, bodies fluctuate, why torture yourself?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    6 lbs of water retention isn't out of line around that time of the month. I'll gain 10 pounds of water weight easily - if I was at a water park, I would be harpooned.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't understand the facination people have with weighing themselves so much. I do mine weekly and that is only on account of my trainer. I know I'm losing, I can SEE it. but why everyday or even everyother day, bodies fluctuate, why torture yourself?

this is my thinking and practice but her question really intrigued me so i found a visual for myself and tried to share it but fear i may have only pissed her off in the process. live and learn.
  • bgoldstein05
    Options
    yup 5lbs every single month......

honestly if it bugs you i would wait and just don't weigh yourself. it's natural and water pills will not help they will mess with your body.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just came off of TOM and went up about 4 pounds. It was an especially brutal and lengthy TOM, and that's not even the worst part. Cycles are coming every 3 weeks now. I guess with my age I can assume this is pre-menopause? Anyway, the weighing every day is torturous, but I feel like I need to do it at least for a few months to prove to myself that IT WILL COME BACK OFF.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sodium. That's what does it!!!!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Arizona I would go up and down seven pounds a day just trying to stay hydrated. ;^) Don't worry about it too much. I was up a pound this morning, too.

My weight shifts 3 to 4 pounds every day with hydration. Unless you're cutting for a competition, if you feel well enough, why worry?
  • donnacervelli11
    Options

this is my thinking and practice but her question really intrigued me so i found a visual for myself and tried to share it but fear i may have only pissed her off in the process. live and learn.

No, no. Thank you for the visual. I was just confused as to what you were trying to say. It makes sense now that I've seen your response. 6 lobs of water does seem like a lot when you see it and say it, but when you think about all your organs and muscles well, there are alot of places for water to hide.

I'm happy you shared. :)