Frustrated!!! 1 Step Forward 2 Steps Back

Options
Okay, I just don't get it anymore. I have been reading different things in different places about the correct way to eat, workout, and lose weight. I started losing weight on Jan 7th and have been pretty successful during the first month. I started at 237lbs and now fluctuate between 211 and 205. I drop lbs and then find them again in a few days. For example...On Friday I weighed in and was thrilled to see that I weighed 205lbs. I worked really hard this week and had a lot of cardio and pretty decent eating. Today I weighed myself and am now back to 211. I feel like I look more flabby than I did before I started losing weight. I feel like giving up because if I keep losing 2lbs and gaining 3 back it just doesn't make sense anymore. I understand that weight fluctuates but this still doesn't make sense.

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just don't get it anymore. I have been reading different things in different places about the correct way to eat, workout, and lose weight. I started losing weight on Jan 7th and have been pretty successful during the first month. I started at 237lbs and now fluctuate between 211 and 205. I drop lbs and then find them again in a few days. For example...On Friday I weighed in and was thrilled to see that I weighed 205lbs. I worked really hard this week and had a lot of cardio and pretty decent eating. Today I weighed myself and am now back to 211. I feel like I look more flabby than I did before I started losing weight. I feel like giving up because if I keep losing 2lbs and gaining 3 back it just doesn't make sense anymore. I understand that weight fluctuates but this still doesn't make sense.
    don't give up. and try NOT to think of how far you have to go, think of how far you've come.
    after your body gets in the mode of trying to lose the weight, it's still trying to hold on to some fat. there's a thread here called "expectations" you should read it.
    after another month or two, you'll see a more consistent loss, till you hit a plateau.
    losing weight isn't easy. i'm in the same boat as you though. last 2 weeks, i've been fluctuating from 198.7-197.2
    so i recalculated my TDEE and saw that i needed to lower my cals a little bit.

it's all about finding what works for you! also, try to weigh yourself the same time every day. weight can fluctuate a lot during the day. i weigh myself every day, when i wake up, after going to the bathroom.
    keep at it! you can do it! it takes patience.
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    re: feeling more flabby...having been 235(lost some before joining MFP) at one point and now at 175, I find that as parts of me shrink and/or become more firm, the surrounding area or fat that is still overlying the firmer areas has begun to look flabby and saggy. My age has something to do with that but I think part of it is just that the skin in those areas hasn't had time to tighten up and therefore the remaining fat has less of a tight package to stop it from flapping around. At my age it is unlikely that it will tighten up to where I feel comfortable so I am gearing up for at least a tummy tuck when I have reached goal and maintained it for a year. But younger people have a better chance of losing that flabby look. Just keep doing what you are doing, weigh and measure everything you eat, work out(don't forget lifting, don't just do cardio) and you are going to see results. You are already doing so well :-)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale!

By weighing every few days, you are seeing the fluctuations we all have. Since you find it so frustrating, you would be best advised to weigh in only once a week at most!

Having lost 30 lbs in two months, I am also wondering if you are eating enough!
  • Aleks87
    Aleks87 Posts: 13
    Options
    Step away from the scale!

By weighing every few days, you are seeing the fluctuations we all have. Since you find it so frustrating, you would be best advised to weigh in only once a week at most!

Having lost 30 lbs in two months, I am also wondering if you are eating enough!

I eat 1200 calories daily and more on days that I work out a lot. I don't feel hungry and am energetic. However, the initial weight loss has stopped and now the numbers on the scale just keep jumping. Even weighing in once a week shows fluctuations and gain.
  • Aleks87
    Aleks87 Posts: 13
    Options
    don't give up. and try NOT to think of how far you have to go, think of how far you've come.
    after your body gets in the mode of trying to lose the weight, it's still trying to hold on to some fat. there's a thread here called "expectations" you should read it.
    after another month or two, you'll see a more consistent loss, till you hit a plateau.
    losing weight isn't easy. i'm in the same boat as you though. last 2 weeks, i've been fluctuating from 198.7-197.2
    so i recalculated my TDEE and saw that i needed to lower my cals a little bit.

it's all about finding what works for you! also, try to weigh yourself the same time every day. weight can fluctuate a lot during the day. i weigh myself every day, when i wake up, after going to the bathroom.
    keep at it! you can do it! it takes patience.

I haven't been able to find the thread you were referring to. Would you mind posting a link?