Workout Support from Mans Best Friend

Options
When I first got my dog a year and a half ago, one of my reasons (justification) was that it'd help me be more active again. I work from home and it was always very easy to say I can't go for a walk because I still have work to do. With someone else relying on me I had a better argument for taking a break, and one that didn't consist of visiting the fridge.

My sheltie has far exceeded that minimum walk requirement I was thinking of when we first got her. She's high energy and loves to move - every part of my day has been invaded.

We take hour walks, and runs, and once I hurt my foot and couldn't run, we switched to biking! Does she ever love it, she's so fast she pushes me!

While folding clothes we play chase.

When doing dishes we do leg lifts with a tug of war toy.

When playing normal tug of war, I lift weights.

While stationary biking we play scratch, where she chases my finger in her agility tunnel.

When playing fetch I stretch.

We play soccer in the yard.

Every time I want to skimp on exercising I know I'm stealing playtime from her, and it motivates me to push through the lethargy.

Anyone else have some fun ways to incorporate their pets into their daily exercise?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Me and my dog sleep together.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My springer spaniel is geriatric and has hip problems. So, the best pet related exercise I get is carrying her 40 or so lbs up and down the stairs to walk her.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    Aww, poor pup. It's great of you to make the effort to still get her her walks. In January , my sheltie, hurt her knee, and wasn't able to run around or walk much for a month. It was so hard watching her like that.
  • lvmygsp
    lvmygsp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My wonderful 8.5 year old GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) and I run 6 days/week together. We have been running since she was just a pup. She's my little love - never judges, always ready, and never tuckers out. I've trained her to run on the left side and never cross over. She's a breeze to run with - always adjusting her pace to mine, and occasionally helping me up the hills :)! She patiently offers each paw for her "paw wiping" when we get home. She gets happy when she sees me put on my running shoes and earphones. She's a little grey-er around the muzzle now and I know that the time will come when she can only walk with me, but she's still going strong for now. She's very well trained and just a joy!!! I love how she looks up at me at each turn to tell her which way to go. I love love love my dog!!!!!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    my german shepherd/husky/saluki mix was born to run and is my #1 training partner. We have run all over the city while she helps me train for marathons. Her consistency in pacing and enthusiasm to go out no matter what the weather definitely keeps me motivated to go out and get those winter runs done!
  • jnzema
    Options
    I've trained her to run on the left side and never cross over. She's a breeze to run with - always adjusting her pace to mine

I want to know how you trained her to do that! Honey's great on the bike, because when she's running really fast she wants to be on the grass instead of the asphalt, but when we are on the trail together or walking she's all over wherever the best scent is. And she has no concept of pace no matter how much I try to work with it! We work on not pulling but the only solution I've been able to get working is she stops and sits until I catch up and than it's a sprint to get to the end of the leash again! :sad:
  • lvmygsp
    lvmygsp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've trained her to run on the left side and never cross over. She's a breeze to run with - always adjusting her pace to mine

I want to know how you trained her to do that! Honey's great on the bike, because when she's running really fast she wants to be on the grass instead of the asphalt, but when we are on the trail together or walking she's all over wherever the best scent is. And she has no concept of pace no matter how much I try to work with it! We work on not pulling but the only solution I've been able to get working is she stops and sits until I catch up and than it's a sprint to get to the end of the leash again! :sad:

I understand your pain!! :) Ella does like to smell things, but training her was just consistency. Any time she would cross in front, I would say "SIDE!" and let me knee hit into her shoulder, then leash correct to the left. Now she knows that if she is on the pavement with me and I say "SIDE!" it means hop up onto the grass on the left, like if we need to squeeze over for a car or another runner. My best advice is consistency, simple commands that you never waver from, and never use a flexi-lead (retractable leash). ONLY use a 6 ft. solid leash. It's much easier to correct the dog with, and it's MUCH safer for you. Those retractable things can cause sever burns and cuts if the dog wraps around you and then takes off. I have seen it.

This training did not happen with my Ella overnight. She liked to try and chase skittering leaves during her puppyhood, and it was frustrating! Give it time and consistency and it will work. Make sure that you and anyone who walks the dog ONLY allow her on the LEFT side.

As far as her pacing, she's always been the kind of dog who looks to her humans for guidance. She's a submissive girl and willing to please. She just always checks over on me every 20 seconds or so. I think it's in her nature to be especially attentive.

Good luck!
  • jnzema
    Options
    I understand your pain!! :) Ella does like to smell things, but training her was just consistency. Any time she would cross in front, I would say "SIDE!" and let me knee hit into her shoulder, then leash correct to the left. Now she knows that if she is on the pavement with me and I say "SIDE!" it means hop up onto the grass on the left, like if we need to squeeze over for a car or another runner. My best advice is consistency, simple commands that you never waver from, and never use a flexi-lead (retractable leash). ONLY use a 6 ft. solid leash. It's much easier to correct the dog with, and it's MUCH safer for you. Those retractable things can cause sever burns and cuts if the dog wraps around you and then takes off. I have seen it.

This training did not happen with my Ella overnight. She liked to try and chase skittering leaves during her puppyhood, and it was frustrating! Give it time and consistency and it will work. Make sure that you and anyone who walks the dog ONLY allow her on the LEFT side.

As far as her pacing, she's always been the kind of dog who looks to her humans for guidance. She's a submissive girl and willing to please. She just always checks over on me every 20 seconds or so. I think it's in her nature to be especially attentive.

Good luck!

We only use a 6 ft lead now, the retractable ones kept breaking, and on the trails when I take her off the lead, it's less bulky to store in my pocket. It sounds like keeping her to left might be best trained after I train her to match my pace, if she's darting ahead I'll need to use to much pulling to correct instead of being able to mover her to position with my knee...

Thanks for the description of the training, I honestly would have never have thought to train for that!