Netflix Hidden Gems

Options

Replies

• ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    IDK how off the beaten path it is but

Ten Inch Hero - is good

I really enjoyed Ten Inch Hero! Of course, you have to have a respect for actors in the CW yearbook in order to stomach it, considering that's almost the entire cast! It was very funny and cute!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Dead and Breakfast - not sure if Netflix has it though. I may have rewound this part more than once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMy6hDOanOc
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    to the OP, sorry about Primer, I think that was my recommendation. A lot of people I know didn't like it. =P
    Primer is a phenomenal movie and I recommend it to anyone who has ever been recklessly curious. I will also support the recommendations for One Year and IP Man.

My fourth favorite movie of all time, Brick is on Netflix. Neo-noir film staring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Girls like him, right?

Relative to documentaries, Senna is one of the best I've ever seen. It is about the life of Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna and his legacy. Someone mentioned The Art of the Steal and Exit Through the Gift Shop which are also great documentaries.

Music documentaries, which I may consider a different subset, are in abundance. Hard to call a Martin Scorsese production 'hidden,' but go through No Direction Home, a documentary about the formative years of Bob Dylan's career.

If Korean films are your thing, check out Oldboy. Unfortunately, it is dubbed in English [quite comically] and the original Korean version with subtitles is unavailable on Netflix. That's a movie that will make you think. [Side note: I ruined the movie for my brother and roommate by predicting the ending about ten minutes in. They were still shocked when the ending unfolded as I had suggested it would].

There are a ton of Jim Jarmusch films on Netflix. Broken Flower, Ghost Dog, Year of the Horse, and Dead Man are all particularly fantastic.

Liev Schreiber makes his directorial debut in Everything Is Illuminated, starring Elijah Wood and based off of the book with the same title by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Long before doing the new Batman run, Inception, or even Momento, Christopher Nolan directed Following.

And for my final recommendation, Joaquin Phoenix and a very well-known comedic actor [I don't want to say who, because his part in this film is so different from anything else he's ever done] star in Clay Pigeons, a macabre--and quite violent--comedy.

That said, if you were going to watch one film I recommend, pick Brick.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    I don't watch a lot on netflix in the comedy genre and the like. I probably won't be much help, unless you like B movie horror/thriller/creature features and stuff like that. If you do, however:

Red State
    The Reef

If you like watching cheesy B movies for nothing but a good laugh try.......2-Headed Shark Attack(no, I'm not kidding)

I watched a "found footage" thriller last night called Amber Alert......one of the Worst. Movies. EVER!!

B movies!!! Let me love you! xP
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Rubber is such a great B Movie.

As far as a gem? Check out "Safety Not Guaranteed".
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Butter, with Jennifer Garner.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Butter, with Jennifer Garner.

Such a good movie.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Outsourced!
    not the sitcom who played one year on NBC, the movie.
    Same theme (american guy working in India) but not a comedy, but a really beautiful, feel-good movie.

I also really liked "The Way' with Martin Sheen.
  • dandelioncoach
    dandelioncoach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pennapenguin
    Pennapenguin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LOVE Merlin!
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks, everybody!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I don't watch a lot on netflix in the comedy genre and the like. I probably won't be much help, unless you like B movie horror/thriller/creature features and stuff like that. If you do, however:

Red State
    The Reef

If you like watching cheesy B movies for nothing but a good laugh try.......2-Headed Shark Attack(no, I'm not kidding)

I watched a "found footage" thriller last night called Amber Alert......one of the Worst. Movies. EVER!!

I think I might love you. Cheesy B movies are the best thing to watch!! 2-Headed Shark Attack was hilarious (im sure the purpose was to be scary, but it was freaking funny)
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On the B-movie side:
    Hobo with a Shotgun
    Thankskilling

Thankskilling is a 5 star movie. The acting is incredible. Never seen anything like it before.
  • cald0nia
    cald0nia Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bump for later: I was out of stuff to watch on Netflix, but I think this post just gave me enough for the next year! :drinker:

My recommendation is The Thirteenth Floor. Good syfy flick with Vincent D'Onofrio-love him!
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Diggin' all the suggestions....