Protein Shake Virgin

Options
Hi all,

Hope someone can help, I am looking at getting a protein shake to add into my daily routine, What is the best one about? I am looking to lose 26lbs + and tone up, I want to get fit and healthy not skinny.

Please help!

Ella

Replies

• louloubird1
    Options
    I use Mucle Milk, powdered protein ( from Cosco) vanilla or chocolate. I use a cup of nonfat milk, couple of ice cubes, banana, or other fruit, (if frozen don't add ice cubes), then either vanilla or chocolate protein powder depending on the fruit. You can use other types of milk, soy, almond etc, and you can use any kind of yogurt as well. This is my everyday go to breakfast.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Get any protein powder that you like and that fits into your budget.

It won't do anything special.. it won't help you lose weight and it won't help you tone (which you can't really do anyways... lose muscle, build muscle or maintain muscle).

I use either Body Fortress or Muscle Maxx when I'm short on my protein at the end of the day. I only use it to help me reach my protien goals though. I prefer to get protein from other foods like eggs, yogurts, etc instead of protein shakes.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Hard work and a good diet is what you probably need(:

Protein shakes arent always the magical anwser everyone seems to make them out to be

Grill yourself some chicken
    Or treat yourself to some lean steak (:
    OR make an omelette with some veg

All taste better and are better for you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It won't do anything special.. it won't help you lose weight and it won't help you tone (which you can't really do anyways... lose muscle, build muscle or maintain muscle).

I use either Body Fortress or Muscle Maxx when I'm short on my protein at the end of the day. I only use it to help me reach my protien goals though. I prefer to get protein from other foods like eggs, yogurts, etc instead of protein shakes.

Agreed. My protein goal is about 140g, and with food I was getting about 110-120g. Because I was consistently short I decided to get a protein shake. Currently just using body fortress, but I've been hearing a lot of good things lately about Trutein from some very trusted sources (aka, Patrick, Sara and some other Eat, Train, Progress group members). The benefit of Trutein is that it has multiple protein sources, not just whey which is metabolized quickly. It's more expensive though (but not terribly).
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I just bought Gaspari Myofusion Vanilla flavor and picked it because it doesn't use artificial sweeteners. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. I use a scoop of that, almond milk, 1/2 a banana and a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter for a yummy treat. It keeps me from eating cookies and such.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    My protein comes from MEAT, eggs, and food. I dont the Protein powders. Never have....never will.:bigsmile:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I get most of my protein from actual food, but if I had a really intense workout or something I will throw some in there.

My preferred methods of consumption are as follows:

1-A scoop in a blender with 2 frozen bananas.

1-In skim milk with a little bit of black coffee added.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater so I make a protein shake and sip on it for hours.
    My favorite is the body fortress chocolate-peatnutbutter.
    Sometimes I do one scoop with milk and/or coconut water and sometimes 1 1/2 scoops with just plain water.
    I use a bender bottle to take on the go and shake.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My problem is my gag reflex. And I'm not even a virgin to protein shakes.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Exactly this. I've used Body Fortress and a few others. Most days, I hit my goal with food.. on the days I don't, here comes the protein powder.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Protein shake virgin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3okb3kuts

Don't worry girl.

I'll be gentle.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I got a whey protein from my Lifetime Fitness coach since I rarely hit my protein goals with the calorie and fat content going out of range. I don't eat it regularly, though but it's good for after lifting for muscle recovery and to meet daily protein goals.I take 1 scoop with 60 calorie almond milk.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is a decent place to start if you're going to go with standard Whey.

I'm a fan of Trutein in spite of the incredibly douche-baggy photo on the cover of their website (http://www.truscience.com/trutein.html ). Trutein has a mix of animal based proteins that are pretty good, and the flavor/mixability is great.

If you're going to go the non-animal-protein-based route, I like Nutribody Protein (http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/), which as a decent profile, but is a bit pricey.

There's also Lifetime Plant Protein-- I like the "Greens" one-- has a good profile. Check out http://www.vitacost.com/Lifetime-Lifes-Basics-Plant-Protein-Powder-with-Greens
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Protein shake virgin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3okb3kuts

Don't worry girl.

I'll be gentle.

Phahahhahahahah