They ordered chinese :(

Options
The girls at my work got chinese! I ordered Jimmy Johns instead. I got a #2 no mayo, added pepper, cucumbers, sprouts, and spices. How many calories is chinese anyway? :cry:

Replies

• cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I depends on what you eat. I very happily eat chinese every now and then cause I love it. Usually it adds up to about 400 cal for a pretty decent serving. I know white rice isn't the best and the sodium is usually an issue but I'm just not willng to feel like I can't eat "normal" (as in what others are eating, going out, a BBQ, etc) every now and then.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Have you ever gotten your Jimmy John's sandwich as an Unwich? Instead of bread they make it a lettuce wrap. I think it is pretty good, and cuts the calories tremendously. When I get it that way though, I get no lettuce because the lettuce from the wrap is enough.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    A lot.
    Good for you for making a better choice.

Panda Express:
    Chow Mein: 400 calories, 12 g fat, 1060g sodium, 10g sugar
    Orange Chicken: 400 calories, 20 g fat, 640g sodium, 18g sugar...

So in one meal of a combo you have 800 calories, 32g fat, 1700g sodium and 28g sugar (sugar's a big thing for me so I always count it).
    Too much.

Your sandwich was roughly 533 calories, 24g fat, 1014g sodium, and they didn't count the sugar on their nutritional info...
    You're already 300 cals ahead, saved yourself 8g fat, 600g sodium and probably 10g sugar.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depends on the food they ordered, but it can be pretty bad. Usually lots of sodium in Chinese food, and lots of sugars.
  • Dkwalsh02
    Dkwalsh02 Posts: 3
    Options
    next time try to talk them in to Japanese... That way you can get sushi :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would rather have Jimmy Johns
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Way way too much sodium in chinese. i prefer to make it myself instead of ordering it. i enjoy it so much more.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I usually get steamed chicken and mixed veg from Chinese restaurants. They usually put the sauce on the side, so you can dip a bit. There are usually a lot of different kinds of veggies in it, too, so it's pretty tasty even without the sauce. I've never calculated the calories, but it's just a little bit of chicken breast and a bunch of steamed veg, so it's probably pretty low.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I got Jimmy John's Big John #2 - W/ No Mayo, Added Hot Peppers, Cucumber, Sprouts, & Spices, 1 sandwhich at 365 on the website :( I hope its not over 500!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oops! You're right. I didn't take the mayo off. Didn't see that option. That's awesome that they have it!
    Still, obviously WAY better choice.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good for you for resisting!! I work at an office where the people I work with order out for lunch every day... seriously EVERY DAY!! Sometimes they order out for breakfast too. I haven't participated since I started this journey on May 1st. If I'm having a craving, then I'll get something from Subway & that usually sustains me.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I usually go for some kind of stir fried meat and veg option (black pepper chicken is yummy) and have it without rice. You could always have a small portion of soup alongside, or go for steamed dumplings or such to keep it healthier.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    Rice and breadings are usually the killer w/Chinese, and most of it is sodium-rich, so I save it for special treats. For me, Chinese food is one of the hardest things to control portions on - it's not very filling (to me), probably because of the rice and carbs contained within and I just want to eat more and more.

Adding insult to injury, my fave dishes are the breaded ones. If I stick to Chicken and Broccoli (or similar dishes) and limit my rice, it usually satisfies my craving, (and still ends up >500 cals usually), but once in a great while I need something breaded like sweet and sour chicken (or pork), or General Tso's chicken or something like that.

The good news is one "bad" meal of Chinese and I'm usually good for a while before I want it again.