Running Tips ???

Options
Alright, this might sound a little funny, but I really want to learn how to be able to run for long periods of time, or more than 2 minutes lol. I've always been a little envious of the people who can run outside/tredmill for miles at a time. I can't even run for a few minutes without getting winded. I always seem to get cramps in my legs and they feel like they are about to give out. I have to cancel my gym membership due to financial situations, so my tredmill at home and whatever I else I can think of will have to be my main source of exercise. I'm not sure if there are specific tricks or routines I need to do before to ensure my stamina but I'm at a loss for ideas! I would love to be able to run one of those marathons one day! Any advice or imput would be great! Thanks all!

Replies

• rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I recently wrote a post on this titled "So, you want to be a runner?"!!! I am no expert, but I would suggest definitely start out by making sure you stay adequately hydrated before/during/after a run to avoid cramps and get good shoes!! I think this post is worthwhile to read (and not because I wrote it), because I think a lot of our "physical" ailments while we are running are due to mental blocks! I have been running for 2.5 years and am not stopping anytime soon, so feel free to add me/ask questions if you'd like!

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/02/so-you-want-to-be-runner.html
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will suggest Couch to 5k, but I've never done it and can't speak for it (seems like a good program though).

I would say that finding the right pace is very important. A lot of new runners start way too fast, and have to stop after a few minutes. You should be able to comfortably carry on a conversation during your easy runs. Other than that, the only way to build up endurance is to put in the miles.

I would also suggest going to get fitted for running shoes. Don't go to a chain, go to a running store. They will be more expensive, but totally worth it. It sounds like your budget is a little tight, so you may want to get fitted, find the right shoe, then look online for last year's model (they can be as much as 50% off with minimal changes to the design).
  • sarashiveley
    sarashiveley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You just need to build up your stamina. Are you stretching as well? might be why your cramping in your legs? also lots of banana's and lots of water!!! slow down your run on the treadmill as well. instead of running at a 6 try 5.5? im running my first 5k this saturday and just the last 2 weeks ive started running at a 5.4 for 20 min or more. i dont feel like im rushing and i feel amazing that im running 2 miles and not cramping. after the 5 k im upping the 5.4 to 5.6 and running more. hope this helps!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would recommend C25K

try

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

or HalHigdon has some good training programs too

http://www.halhigdon.com/
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks all! These sound like great tips! I would LOVE to get some awesome running shoes, I always see cool ones online but I can't afford them. I was given a new pair of running shoes for xmas last year, so maybe I'll ask for a new pair every year. I never know what brands are best. I stretch a little. My crams are alway in the same spot, my left ancle area. As a kid playing soccer and stuff, I had a tendency to sprain my ancles. Maybe I need to wrap that ancle before running? Or maybe my shoes are old and the ancle suppors isnt as good as it should be?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a program like couch to 5. It'll build you up slowly and it's motivating when you hit the milestones. Just trying to run longer or further each day may get frustrating. I started with something similar to C25k and I'm training for a half marathon now. Good luck!
  • ctperdant
    ctperdant Posts: 19
    Options
    I got a treadmill at home recently and started out seeing how "far" I could go in 20 minutes. At first it was mainly walking with about 5 minutes of jogging. Recently I was able to go 2 miles in 30 minutes which was mostly jogging. Hope this is useful!
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    You could try intervals: Run for 1 minute walk (fast) for 2 min, repeat. Or even start at 30/60, and move up to the 60/120 later. Don't overdo it and "listen" to your body. Don't increase your weekly distance by more than 10%...if I'm building up distance for a race, and I ran 10 miles one week, the next week I won't do more than 11.

also, do a little jog in place for a few minutes before you stretch. Warm muscles stretch easier. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I don't stretch before I run. I start slow to warm up the muscles, then pick up speed.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a combination of everything the above posters have said. :)

I did use C25K. I followed it exactly. I may have to go back to walk/runs when I start on the road - or so I've been told. When I completed C25K I started working on my pace. My first week after C25K I started my runs at 4mph and increased my speed by 0.2 mph every 5 minutes and ran for 30 minutes total. 2nd week, started 4 mph, increased 0.2 mph every 4:45. 3rd week, stated 4 mph, increased 0.2 mph every 4.5 and so on and so forth. I am now able to run a 12 min mile which is awesome considering I started out running slower than I walked!!!! My goal is a 10 min mile and I'll reach it by doing this slow and steady thing. It works for me - and that is what matters.

Biggest thing: I had tried numerous times to become a runner and it wasn't until I got into the right shoes that I ever made it past 2 minutes. I did what one poster said.... got fitted professionally and then bought online. I just retired my first pair of Mizuno's after 500 miles and most of them are treadmill miles. I will transition to road running this spring and I am SO FLIPPING excited! After thought: I buy my shoes at roadrunnersports.com. They have a vip you can sign up for which gives you great discounts and cost little to nothing. They also have a wear and run return guarantee and I've utilized it - twice - so I know it's not a too good to be true thing.

Streching before I run has never been a necessity, at least not for the treadmill, but this may change when I'm on the road. I do, however, walk for 2 minutes before I run to warm up a bit.

And I totally agree - hydration is huge. I generally only run 3-5 miles now so I don't drink while I run but I definitely have water before and right after. "They" say that you don't necessarily need hydration until you run 6 consistent miles but I'm sure 12 others will be behind me saying 'oh yes you do'! ;)

Stretching after - a MUST for me.

Protein shake/smoothie after - that's what works great for me.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    c25k!

My advice is:
    -Run slow. Sloooww slooww. Find your fastest walking pace and then jog at that pace and no faster. Speed is not important for building endurance, it will come once the endurance is there.

-Walk fast. When you're doing your walking intervals, don't reduce your speed from running too much. If you're on a treadmill, go only about 1mph down to walk. This keeps your body in "fast mode" while your muscles and lungs recover and makes it easier to transition back into jogging.

-Never let your mind tell your legs what they can't do. There will be times when you'll look at the next set of intervals and say "oh, I can't do that." Don't listen. Trust the program, you can do it if you try.

-Be consistent. Pick three days a week to run and stick to them. Do not schedule extra things for these days, and don't schedule really difficult cross-training on your off days either.

-Stretch, eat, and hydrate after your work out. This will help your body recover and reduce next day soreness.
  • julesassid
    Options
    You just need to build up your stamina. Are you stretching as well? might be why your cramping in your legs? also lots of banana's and lots of water!!! slow down your run on the treadmill as well. instead of running at a 6 try 5.5? im running my first 5k this saturday and just the last 2 weeks ive started running at a 5.4 for 20 min or more. i dont feel like im rushing and i feel amazing that im running 2 miles and not cramping. after the 5 k im upping the 5.4 to 5.6 and running more. hope this helps!

Thank you for posting this. I finally read it enough times - to slow down. Someone once told me that "one should be able to run at 6.0" therefore I've been pushing myself to run my first mile at 6.0, then I would run intervals after that. I just didn't get better. So, now I'm doing C25K and I'm running at 5.6 and feeling SO MUCH BETTER. I'm not so winded and feel like Day 3 of Week 5 (running 20 minutes straight) is actually doable.
    Running - one of those things we all want to be able to just "do".
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, 6mph!? Who told you that!? People who can already run 5k train for months to get that fast.

I run at 4.5mph. It is common when you first start out to feel like "a wuss" or "a snail" for going slower than other runners. Or if you weight train, feeling weak for doing half the weight and half the reps of other lifters. The thing is though, that you are putting in *the same amount of effort* as those faster runners or those heavy lifters because you both are working at your own individual limits. So don't feel like a snail for going slow. Feel like a champion, because you are, because the effort is there and that's what counts.

One thing I've learned from running is that being an athlete has nothing to do with being able to put up the best time or do the most push ups. Being an athlete is about finding your physical limits, enduring them and moving past them, wherever they happen to be, no matter how much it sucks.
  • TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    :glasses: :happy: :bigsmile: I was finally able to run a full mile on the tredmill last night without stopping! My pace was about 4.5mph. Im not sure what the time was because I ended up staying on for longer! I like to read or watch movies on my kindld while im on the tredmill. It helps the time to go by faster and it keeps my mind of wanting to get off lol