Looking for a good quality smoothie maker.

Options
I am in the market for a decent smoothie maker (versus struggling with the blender ~ they just aren't cut out for smoothies). I have been browsing Amazon.com and have read some interesting reviews, which include various pro's and con's for many different types of smoothie makers. I think Im leaning towards a Ninja or Cuisinart... a smaller compact maker that would be dishwasher safe. While I dont want to spend a fortune, I still want to get a good working machine - Any suggestions, tips or reccommendations is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Swallow really hard, bite the bullet and go get a Vitamix. You won't regret it.
  • mockingjaypin
    Options
    Sounds crazy but I use the Oster mini smoothie thingamajig. you blend in the bottle you take with you. It was $20 at Target and I didn't think it would hold up worth anything. Been using it 2-3x a week for over a year now. The bottle is super convenient because you just take it off the blender, put the travel lid on it and go.
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    Vitamix is $500, I would personally try a Ninja. Much more reasonable, 1-2 hundred depending on model.
  • jabadahut
    jabadahut Posts: 16
    Options
    Happy with my nutribullet
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I vote for the Ninja hands down! It's the best one I've ever used and it's pretty tough...will crush anything. I just made a yummy smoothie this morning. It will literally turn ice into snow :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My parents got me a magic bullet as kind of a gag gift a few years ago for Christmas but you know what? It works great for smoothies and shakes! So I'm finally getting some use out of it.
  • jharpsphotography
    Options
    Happy with my nutribullet

Love my nutribullet. It's awesome!
  • cljangula
    Options
    Ninja Ninja Ninja!
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback!!
  • amg871
    amg871 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought a Vitamix 5200. It was hard for me to justify the cost, but I can now drink smoothies with kale and fruit. I highly recommend it. And the best is that my 2 1/2 year old will drink them too:).
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've got a Cuisinart stick blender that works great. I can make a smoothie in a quart canning jar and the cleanup of the stick part is so easy.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Stir quickly, it burns more calories! ;^)
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Vitamix. $399 for mine, and I get to make payments as I got it from QVC. When the Ninja's and Nuttrabullets break, my Vitamix will still be a hard working smoothie machine! It also makes hot soup, and grinds coffee & nuts & spices, and so on...

But good luck in whatever you choose!
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I already had a Magic Bullet so I tried to make smoothies out of that but it still had too many clumps in it. Nuts, spinach, fruit, it just didn't get it smooth enough. I bought the Nutribullet a couple of months ago and it works extremely well! Huge difference, plus it's not anywhere near as expensive as the Vitamix. Nutribullet blends everything up - no chewy stuff left
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    I have used all sorts of things... I had a medium of the line regular blender but alas that thing still left clumps and just wouldn't cut it. Magic bullet, great for making baby food, crappy at smoothies. Hubby (Is a major squeaker when it comes to spending money) broke down and bought a vitamix. Best flipping investment ever. Lifetime warranty, it will blend up anything you throw in there (food wise) super smooth. I will never have a chunky smoothie again. Oh soup making, love it! Sorbets, bomb digity, margaritas... yup smooth and perfect. Seriously, if you plan on making smoothies for a long time, invest in a vitamix. They sell them at Costco for a great price if you have a membership there. Happy Smoothie making!
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've had a Vitamix and returned it after the 30 day trial. For the price I was not impressed at all. Yes, it makes good smoothies, but so does my $100 Kitchen Aid Blender. I love my Kitchen Aid, which does the same blending, purée, etc as the Vitamix.
    I've had 2 Magic Bullets. I liked them ,but the motor burned quickly. The bullet is not comparable to the Vitamix or Kitchen Aid.